Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Best FPS game (Aside from Doom)

What is THE best FPS of all time in your opinion? (Aside from Doom)

Mines personally is CoDMW2, it is just perfection in my opinion.

Edited by ReeseJamPiece

It's in the forum's name...

That aisde, my fav might be Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition. 4 episodes of blood, gore, sex, drugs and a whole lot of arses getting kicked (sometimes literally).

Doom, of course.

Last generation: CoD: MW2 (hell yeah)

This generation: nothing.

4 minutes ago, qdash said:

Doom, of course.

That game had it all, it was the end of an era once CoDMW3 came out...

I would argue Alien: Isolation isn't really a shooter, as combat isn't your main means of survival, but more of a stealth game. That would explain why I was so bad at it, but persevered through the 20 hours or so of game play anyway.

The answer is Doom 2016, or possibly Serious Sam 3: BFE. I'd have to replay both back-to-back to make a definitive decision.

It depends on how you approach Alien Isolation. I sneak alot but my partner guns their way through and we've both finished it a number of times. I like that it accommodates either tactic :)

Based on the sheer personal replay value, I'd have to say Doom 3 and Postal 2. It may have something to do with the fact that both were clearly single-player oriented, in an era where multiplayer was (already) all the Rage (pun intended).

Ion Fury is the best single player FPS (aside from Doom obviously) that I have played. IMHO its a must play for fans of Build engine games as it combines the best elements of those games in a single tight package.

To feign objectivity, I would say Quake 3 (arena or live, or both) or possibly UT99.

To go for my personal favorite I'd say Hexen.

Bonus third answer: Ken's Labyrinth.

Duke Nukem 3D or Alien Trilogy.

1 hour ago, Space Marinara said:

It depends on how you approach Alien Isolation

Definitely not an FPS , 100% survival horror and greatest one in that genre.

For me it has to be Medal of Honor: Airborne, it introduced a lot of innovation that never really carried over to other games (Being able to choose where to start a mission, and the leaning/cover system, etc)

4 hours ago, qdash said:

Doom, of course.

Funny because MW2 is pretty much where i gave up on CoD; they turned the Spielberg inspired War epic and made it into some kind of Michael bay explosion fest game  (except for Black Ops and the new MW)

the last really good one was World at War.

And let's not forget Ion Fury and Dusk came out on this generation

My favs:

Breakdown - Xbox

007 Nightfire - Xbox

Halo 1 and 2 - Xbox

Half-Life - PC

Doom - PC

System Shock 2 - PC

Goldeneye - N64

Perfect Dark - N64

Turok 1 and 2 - N64

Blood. Definitely blood. I've never played a game with more perfect action movie movement and explosion physics.

Battlefield 3 is also great, though

It's hard for me to just choose 1 game but I'll have to go with Half-Life, has a nice mix of Action, Exploration and Puzzles and some satisfying weapons.

my favorite FPS outside Doom is all of the Wolfenstein games that Machine Games made, I can only describe the feeling that game gives me as patriotism, rage, and bloodlust(for video game characters). it doesn't give me the satisfaction of ripping things apart with my bare hands like Doom does but it's still awesome.

2nd favourite FPS has always been a tie between Wolf3D and Duke3D. Love both of those games so much, but nowhere near Doom and Doom2 which I just think of as one entity.

lately i've been realizing how much i love dark forces
im not really a high adrenaline gameplay person and i enjoy dark forces's gimmicky levels (which are almost all adventure-style with minimal arena shooting) plus it has great music since it adapts the film scores. most of the weapons are unnecessarily OP for fighting humanoids too, it's ultra-casual and as slow as you like

it even has those negative/dungeon-y moments in certain sewer and starport sections that i enjoy.

so many FPSes after doom try to be super badass and gore-y and it doesn't work on my anymore lol

Duke 3D and Quake 1 for me. I also have high hopes for Ion Fury, but haven't played that one yet.

Wolf3d, Heretic, Duke3d, Blood, Quake 2, Shogo, XIII and Goldeneye are way near the top of my list, so tough to choose just one of course.

8 minutes ago, yakfak said:

dark forces

There's a lot of excellent levels in that game. Mission 4, the Research Facility on Fest, is probably my favorite map in any FPS game ever.

Besides Doom, HL1 because it

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

has a nice mix of Action, Exploration and Puzzles and some satisfying weapons.

It's a shame that the series is linear AF.

Spoiler

My other favourites are
BFBC 2 due to it being my favourite SP/ Multiplayer BF game.
Deus Ex because it's a great RPG. Game has too many contents.

Spoiler

Rising Storm 2, the weapons feel good to use, the kills feel good to get, and the communication skills are essential. But maybe it's partly because I'm Vietnamese.

And probably Blood.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It's a shame that the series is linear AF.

Sadly, still though I'll take a linear but fun game over a non-linear snoozefest anyday.

2 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Sadly, still though I'll take a linear but fun game over a non-linear snoozefest anyday.

Well, at least the games reward you for exploration, which is cool :P So HL series isn't that linear like Metro series IMO.