Catpho

DBP17: Alone

"Not just another bug hunt!" -reviewer

"The badass state of the badass art!" -another reviewer

"Not bad... For a bunch of humans." -Bishop

"Hey, I can reference Aliens too!" -Phobus

Edited by Phobus : I'm referencing, not quoting... "Mother Fucker!"

not working with zandronum, pity.

on DBP forums it is described as "limit-removing", but i get the following error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "DBP17_alone_rc1.wad:GLDEFS" line 11:
Unknown tag: attenuate

However, i can start the wad on my server (where it does not render graphics).

Edited by grrfield

That's a shame. I built the GLDEFS based on the GZDoom lights.pk3 - zandronum must be using a code base old enough to cause issue with that. I don't think the maps were built with multiplayer in mind, to be honest, but we can look into a fix for wider playability

4 hours ago, Phobus said:

That's a shame. I built the GLDEFS based on the GZDoom lights.pk3 - zandronum must be using a code base old enough to cause issue with that. I don't think the maps were built with multiplayer in mind, to be honest, but we can look into a fix for wider playability

You just have to remove the "attenuate" definition. You can barely see any difference without it.

True enough - I've already done it for the next RC, although it's up to vertigo when that is released!

Holy Sh*t, guys! You are mapping machines!
This a wonderful throwback to 199X total conversions, but also is perfectly in line with modern mapsets.

I'm playing it in Doom Retro, and i found a few graphical bugs, check it out:
1389036743_Level1.png.8b7882d0b95f805cc11494a3d4e8441f.png878504232_Level1(2).png.41ea4bc7e4d75a93996c919b367656cb.png251850186_Level1(1).png.a38fb8ab40f20dfb03d2446b2d025a8a.png

There more, probably, i just found this.

RC2 is up now with a plethora of fixes - new music in map04, midtexture bugs fixed, facehuggers tweaked, credit map added, rocket launcher sprites edited and a bunch more.

Really enjoyed the old school feel to this, and I also love the Alien franchise. Saw some midtexture issues in RC1, but they're prolly fixed by now. Overall it was really fun, though the facehuggers were a bit frustrating. I didn't mind the fast aliens, but the huggers were really deadly at meleeing (which was maybe a bit too much beside their original function) and sometimes really hard to spot (and they were everywhere).

The first map was my favourite, I kinda was hoping for an alien jump scare there!

Yeah, the facehuggers were way too ruthless. I've added a bit of delay between attacks and they're much more reasonable.

Glad you liked the wad :)

To add to my previous post, I think the horror elements of the first level could've been expanded upon a bit more. Maybe it would not have been very Doom-y if done so, but the feeling of dread was so well executed in that map that I was left craving for more!

m01 and m07 really capitalized on the assets most effectively imo. I'd play an entire megawad of dreary/ominous stuff like that ;D

Yeah, MAP01 really gave me that awesome ALIENS TC vibe. The other levels (so far) are still really good, though, lotsa jumpscares with aliens and facehuggers comin' outta the fuckin' walls, man.

Glad y'all liked the vibe/atmosphere in the wad, we really leaned into that aspect. OP has been updated with idgames link :)