Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Realm667 looking for news authors

Dear community members,
the Realm667 is running now for almost 20 years and is trying to not only be the host for my personal projects but also for community resources and as a news source for a long time now. Unfortunately in the past months and years my personal situation changed a bit (family, job, etc.) and I can't focus on maintaining the news page that much anymore as I was able to years ago. Therefore I have only time to write and prepare news once a month but this makes the page not really up to date with all the things happening around. This is the reason why we are looking for some news authors.

What do we need?
Well, the job is quite simple: If you are an active forum member here, the only thing to do is look for interesting news, releases, changes, additions or community gossip that's worth sharing on a larger centralized portal page and post them as a short news article on the Realm667 with a fitting picture to the right category - for this you will get administration backend access to make all that as comfortable as possible for you. It's as easy as that :) you need no programming knowledge or anything else that is too complicated. When you can write articles with word and have a readable language, you fit :)

It's not helluva job, to be honest, but we simply need a few persons who can make sure to share important and worthy news from the communities on a centralized page for a greater audience. If there is interest, let me know, we are looking forward to some support and a growing Realm667 staff to keep everyone informed!

Best regards,
Dan

I love Realm667, used a ton of assets from it already and even contributed to its repository. I hope you find some writers for your news posts, even though I am not really sure the community needs that. On Doomworld, Discord, hell even Facebook, you are usually up to date as it is already. Not sure how many people would separately visit R667 to read about news they already know about anyway. You'd need some pretty great exclusive scoops for that, heh.

Personally I'd focus on what makes R667 great - the repository and your personal projects. The framework is all there and works well imho. Maybe encourage more people to add to its repository.

Something that might be advisable to clear up; Given your website asks for donations on every page (and sometimes as a frankly aggressive popup), are you also offering people a cut of said donations given they will be acting as staff for you?

22 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

Reactions alone won’t help keeping the page up to date friends :)

This oddly snarky post, and the tapdancing around compensation, do not make a good first impression if you want to attract anyone to take the role.

3 hours ago, elend said:

I hope you find some writers for your news posts, even though I am not really sure the community needs that. On Doomworld, Discord, hell even Facebook, you are usually up to date as it is already. Not sure how many people would separately visit R667 to read about news they already know about anyway. You'd need some pretty great exclusive scoops for that, heh.

To be honest I wasn't aware about that. I find it kinda hard to browse through the forums because of the sheer amount of information you get there. The Realm667 news page is meant to be some kind of a "filter", picking out the gems (releases, big news, etc.) to avoid having everyone having to browse all the community forums for important stuff (which doesn't mean that I do not post about some projects more than other ones, it's more that I mostly miss some things because of the limited time I have).

On top of that, it's not only that we need people helping with the news page but also people helping maintaining the repository. @Blue Shadow currently does most of the work (if not all) on his own and that's not how it is supposed to work where this is a community repo after all. Help would be really appreciated and the page depends on people supporting the Realm667.

7 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Something that might be advisable to clear up; Given your website asks for donations on every page (and sometimes as a frankly aggressive popup), are you also offering people a cut of said donations given they will be acting as staff for you?

It has most propably to do something with your cookie settings. If you don't accept them, the browser shows the info every page you visit. If you accept them, it gets only displayed once a month. Regarding the donations in general: I am more than willed to share what is getting donated to the team after the server payment and other stuff like subscriptions have been taken care of - I just can't say how much this is at the end. Sometimes I have to pay more than the donations offer, sometimes I have a budget left at the end of the year. Simply depends on what people are hoping for, but I can be very transparent with this.

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

This oddly snarky post, and the tapdancing around compensation, do not make a good first impression if you want to attract anyone to take the role.

Maybe I expressed myself a bit unlucky :) I am simply not sure what the reactions mean. Is it a "Good you ask for but I have no time" or is it a "Hint, ask me, I want to help here".