Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InterdimensionalInterloper

Floating Torches

I am working on a megawad where I am redesigning levels from GothicDM and in the tenth map they have these torches that are just floating in the air with no rased sectors underneath and I am having a really hard time figuring out how they did it here is a screenshot example... image.png.8874cf765a5441583c2727457862f371.png

Wow, ok I have no idea how to make these "sub-sectors" or do level scripting beyond weapon/monster/basic stuff. If I make the torches, could someone please do the Sub-sector editing to make them float? I will include whoever would be willing to do it in the credits ofcorse...

I think by subsector he just means sector within a sector.   Subsector otherwise isn't any regular terminology.

I noticed that when I save an old map of mine with this vanilla method in Doom Builder the effect goes wrong until I rebuild the nodes with an old bsp.exe.   Boom's transfer heights special made a less hacky way possible but I've yet to use it for invisible platforms.

Looks pretty sweet in the screenshot how I guess they put a regular referencing sector within the double-referencing sector for the stick on the torch being in the air as long as it's low enough that the player can't look from a height underneath it all.

I have resolved to make them like in the screen cap below i'm not going to go threw all this damn trouble for some torches when I can make them like this and save a days worth of time and trouble just for a minute visual affect. Perhaps I will go back and change them later, I don't have time for this now.

fleeb.png

1 hour ago, InterdimensionalInterloper said:

I don't have time for this now.

What is so pressing that you cannot take a few minutes to learn about mapping something so simple?

I was going to tell you an easy solution to the floating torches involving the sprites, but if you have no time, then you have no time. Too bad.

If I cant re-name the sectors in the editing program thain im not going to tare my hair out trying to figure out what exactly I need to screw with in some hideous text file just to make four torches float in a hallway when I have 23 big maps to make, a day job, and two other projects I could be working on.

Quick and dirty guide to making simple self referencing sectors.

1. Make your "invisible sector" as normal.

Spoiler

izI3nsW.jpg

2. This is the important step. Go to edit all the linedefs of the sector you want to self reference and make sure the sector indexes of the front and back sides match. Now the sector is self referencing. It may not show up properly in 3d mode and you may see some weirdness in sector mode, don't worry about this as it should still be fine ingame if you have done everything right.

(Note - i applied the back side value to the front side. Also when doing this i always ensure my linedefs are all facing in the same direction, ie away from the self ref sector. This might be irrelevant, i can't actually remember, but better safe than sorry.)

Spoiler

E34T5UT.jpg

3. The result ingame. You can add midtex banding or whatever you want to help the illusion of a shelf or whatever.

Spoiler

1WVLnge.png

Note - these have a habit of breaking when you modify the adjacent sector, if this happens you'll have to re set your sector indexes on your linedefs.

Edited by Scotty

I thought I tried that but meby I was looking at the wrong thing? Their are just so many numerical parameters for sectors that i'm not sure if i'm even looking at the rite thing. This helps though and if its just a mater of matching sector numbers in the editor i will figure it out eventually.

Actually, they very much are, Without some understanding of how sectors are transformed into subsectors by the node builder it's very easy to construct nonfunctional setups.

If you're mapping in GZDOOM (UDMF) have you considered using 0 height 3D floors to hold the torches? You could also use Boom's bridges to hold up torches if I'm not mistaken. Though you won't get shorter torches. Perhaps the easiest way to do something like this would be to make torch textures?

If you're mapping for GZDoom you should create proper floating torch actors and not use some crutch.

To be honest, you use zdoom in doom, it has more means and actions for invisible floors and even supports those old ways of 3d floors judging by sector properties actions. So you could use this, instead of trying use old vanilla method. Besides it has action 242 - create fake ceiling and floor, it creates invisible floors for you if you know how. It feels like you overcomplicate easy things. 

The only thing you have to do to make a self referencing sector is set the front and back sides of each linedef to the same sector. So if I create sector 90 (for example) inside sector 5, the inside of the linedef will say sector 90, and the outside will say sector 5 when I select that linedef. Simply set both sides to say sector 90. Boom, all done, now you can set that sector's floor height to whatever you want and it will be an invisible floor.

If you send me the wad I can do a few of them for you so you can get an example. I might even make a video tutorial in the next few days.