Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jason

Things that should NEVER be said to metalheads.

Being a huge metalhead, I know of a lot of things I've heard people say about metal that are just ridiculous. What are some that you've heard?

One thing I've heard someone say is I've heard someone say SlipKnoT was death metal.
I've not spoken to them ever since.

Spoiler

YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFFF THE BLOOD. AREE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTRTTING OFF THE BLOODD. ARE YOU OOK? YOURR JEAANS LOOK VVERY TIGHT. ARER YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOUUR OK? YOUR JEEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. AARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTINTG OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEEQTANS LOOK VERRY TIGHT. ARE YOUR RJEANS TOOQETEQT TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTTING OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THQETEQTE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOURT JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOQTETQTUR JEANS TOOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUQTTING OFEQTQTF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. AQETQETRE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BWLOOD. ARE YOU OK?R YOUR JEANS QETQETLOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLOODQETEQT. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VE2RY TIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANS TQETTQOO TIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLOOD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANS LOOK VERY TIGHT. ARE2R YOUR JEANS TOO QEQWTIGHT? ARE THEY ARE CUTTING OFF THE BLORQROD. ARE YOU OK? YOUR JEANSQTEQT LOOK VERY TQETQIGHT. ARE YOUR JEANSTQET TOO TIGHT? AQETEQTRE THEY ARQETEQTE CUTTING OFF TQETEQTHE BLOOD. RERRTAEAER YOUOOUOYOYT OKEKEOEKEEOEOEO??W??

"Metal? You mean that Metallica-like stuff right?"

"I didn't know metal was this thing."

"You like black metal? You mean Cradle of Filth and the likes of it?"

"Do you burn churches?"

"Isn't death metal just gruesome noise and people burping, without any lyrics?"

"Extreme metal "singers" don't even sing, and they're not saying anything either. There's no way anyone would be capable of saying anything in that voice."

"So you're one of those people who hate everything and are always angry?"

"Are you a Nazi?"

"So you're a Satanist then?"

"So you hate "God" then?"

"This music is made by idiots, frustrated individuals, and failures who achieved nothing in life, which is why they're always angry."

"This stuff brainwashes people."

"Is this the only thing you ever listen to?"

"Why are you obsessed with evil?"

"Didn't people die because of this shit?"

"Doesn't this noise give you a headache?"

"Just a bunch of delinquents and criminals."

"Can't you just listen to something normal like others?"

"Extreme metal is a farce. It's just a bunch of poseurs who don't even believe what they're saying."

"Aren't you supposed to wear all-black, leather, boots, and have long hair?"

"How often do you shower?"

"This music is made by, and for, depressed/suicidal people."

"All they sing about is drinking, sex, alcohol, and murder!"

All of those are 100% legit questions people asked me and things I've heard/seen people saying.

Edited by seed

"Ugh, this screamo stuff sucks!"

"I hate this death metal music!"

"Its just noise!"

"There is no emotion, only anger."

"Those emo songs suck!"

"Is this goth rock?"

"They only talk about killing people!"

"I could play those solos, its just playing random notes."

"I don´t understand what they say!"

"The album covers are so ugly and violent!"

"I don´t you listen to songs about love and friendship?"

"Isn't green day thrash metal?"

"All those bands do is scream, they shouldn't be paid for that!"

"Imagine Dragons is the best metal band ever!"

I wish that those quotes were never said by anyone. But they've been said. Sadly.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Being a huge metalhead ... I've not spoken to them ever since.

It's possible that this person is completely happy with this outcome, and therefore regards it as very much something that should be said.

2 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

When the Simpsons called Judas Priest Death Metal.

Oh my god did that actually happen? What episode? It probably was a shitty episode

i am starting to completely ignore people right at the moment they say that i should adjust my tastes according to their views.

oh. actually, one question later, i want to be sure that i got them right.

I definitely think it’s fair to say Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are proto-metal. There’s a genealogy there that leads directly back to Rock n Roll and the Blues, I think it would be silly to ignore that.

I also wasn’t aware that ‘death metal’ was forbidden terminology in the current metal culture - I haven’t been ingrained in metal culture for a few years now, the old band I was in broke up in 2013, but at the time I didn’t ever see people shying away from the term. What else does one call a band like Morbid Angel?

Though of course it’s insane to refer to something like Priest - damn near glam metal to my ears, though i guess it’s thrash - as death metal. LOL that’s like calling The Beatles “grunge”! There are definitely bands out there who could only be referred to as death metal though, at least as far as my understanding of the various sub-genres goes.

Edited by Doomkid

6 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I definitely think it’s fair to say Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are proto-metal. There’s a genealogy there that leads directly back to Rock n Roll and the Blues, I think it would be silly to ignore that.

I also wasn’t aware that ‘death metal’ was forbidden terminology in the current metal culture - I haven’t been ingrained in metal culture for a few years now, the old band I was in broke up in 2013, but at the time I didn’t ever see people shying away from the term. What else does one call a band like Morbid Angel?

Though of course it’s insane to refer to something like Priest - damn near glam metal to my ears, though i guess it’s thrash - as death metal. LOL that’s like calling The Beatles “grunge”! There are definitely bands out there who could only be referred to as death metal though, at least as far as my understanding of the various sub-genres goes.

Okay okay okay okay okay black sabbath may be really early metal but nobody considered led zeppelin to be metal they were a rock group okay geez adam

1 hour ago, Chopkinsca said:

"Oh you like metal too? I love Korn and Slipknot!"

well to be fair they aren't bad

Oh for sure, Zeppelin isn’t metal. It’s flirting with that edge of what would become metal though! I feel like they generally swayed much of the rock scene at the time towards faster riffs and more complex solos

I feel like half of what's being said here actually has some merit and it's the inherent ridiculous elitism that a lot of metalheads seem to harbour they makes these issues. Like, I'm into a pretty wide range of metal. Korn and Slipknot included. Led Zeppelin definitely had a major influence on bands like Slayer (particularly the drums) who in turn influenced a huge amount of the extreme metal that followed. Metallica are the single most successful (financially, is my understanding) metal band and made great thrash metal back in the 80s, then experimented since then to mixed results. I suspect said success almost entirely lies in how their self-titled album made them more accessible to a wider audience.

Really, the biggest thing you shouldn't do with a metalhead, probably myself included, is try to get into saying what is and isn't metal, and what particular genre a particular band are. Hell, even particular albums and probably some songs would be divisive.

Really though, I think the biggest thing not to do with anyone's musical taste is disrespect what they choose to listen to. There's music I don't like and that is fine, I don't have to listen to it.

^ Precisely this.

And also, better ask someone and allow them to explain what they're listening to instead of jumping to conclusions or making misinformed if not outright dumb statements.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I also wasn’t aware that ‘death metal’ was forbidden terminology in the current metal culture

It isn't. Some people are just crazy. A band like Death -- arguably the influence which lead to death metal being a term at all -- could not be described any other way.

Spoiler

Ah, this takes me all the way back to the 90s. You know, when I was 12 and would say things along the lines of "lol this person doesn't listen to metal and they said metallica was death metal. They're so dumb, lol".