Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jason

Things that should NEVER be said to metalheads.

"Pop music is so fake" I exclaim as I load up Superior Drummer and turn on my Axe-FX. 

Edited by Mr. Freeze

On 11/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, Coopersville said:

Wrestling is fake. 

Okay time for me to start a big ol rant on wrestling now

Professional wrestling isn't 100% fake. (I am thinking of oldschool 90's WWF monday night raw) The outcome of each match is predetermined, but the wrestlers themselves are real athletes and some of the fighting isn't real, but sometimes they really do get hurt out there. Wrestling is still a dangerous job, and it's entertaining when you pay attention to what it's about. They often have little funny stories behind why they're fighting that get you ready and pumped up for the fight. 

Think of it this way: When you watch A L I E N, and see the xenomorph, you think that's a killer alien beast with the will to kill. You don't think it's a guy with a CG costume. Even though it is. That's like wrestling. You don't see a buncha dudes pretending to fight. You see The Undertaker and Stone Cold Steve Austin beating the shit out of eachother. You see Batista getting his ass kicked by Goldberg. Because it's a story. It's not meant to be a real athletic sport, it's meant to be entertainment. And still, they sometimes do get hurt out there.

"The outcome may be predetermined, but the pain is still real."

-Goldberg

Edited by Jason

On 11/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

It isn't. Some people are just crazy. A band like Death -- arguably the influence which lead to death metal being a term at all -- could not be described any other way.

Well actually, I've seen people claim later Death (i.e. Sound of Perseverance) is more prog than death metal.

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Well actually, I've seen people claim later Death (i.e. Sound of Perseverance) is more prog than death metal.

They changed direction later on, but early Death with albums such as Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy can only be described as death metal.

Multiple people who knew Chuck said, however, that, had he been alive today, he would have preferred to refer to Death as progressive metal instead of death metal. And that's fair, when looking at The Sound of Perseverance.

Edited by seed

2 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Didn't the term death metal come from Possessed? Who ironically are best described as proto-death/thrash/death crossover?

Last I checked it's still debatable whether it came from Possessed, with their demo Death Metal, or the other demo carrying the same name, by Death.

I agree though, that Possessed has always been more thrash than death. Thrash/Death is what I consider Possessed to be.

Possessed was the first death metal band but the first band to be called death metal was Death. 

"There's no talent in heavy metal music, it's just thrashing instruments and screaming"

**proceeds to listen to smoke on the water**

Edited by Chezza

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

"There's no talent in heavy metal music, it's just thrashing instruments and screaming'

Anyone who says there's no talent in heavy metal, they should play a whole slayer song on guitar (solo included) without even listening to it more than once and without learning it.

If they can do that, they will have proved that metal is talentless music.

Until that happens, metal does take talent and we all know it does.

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

"There's no talent in heavy metal music, it's just thrashing instruments and screaming'

Hey man, don't knock Smoke on the Water, that's a great song. Did you know that song was about a Zappa gig where a dude shot a flare gun into the roof and the concert hall went up in flames? Crazy stuff. You can hear all the commotion from about 1:20:00 onward in this video. Rofl, you can even hear backup singer Howard Kaylan say "Fire, by Arthur Brown!" because he was just stunned and had no idea what else to say to get peoples' attention.

It sucks that tune has been reduced to "easily mockable rock riff", I know it's an easy song to play (but to play well, that's a different story) but it tells a really interesting tale about a crazy event in rock history. These kinds of events - both directly and indirectly - lead to the birth of metal, which in turn got heavier and more varied as time went on. I'm a huge fan of Machine Head, they're cool. We need to bridge this gap between the metalheads and the rockers, man. Get some good vibes going. Right on, brother. *hits joint*

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Hey man, don't knock Smoke on the Water, that's a great song. Did you know that song was about a Zappa gig where a dude shot a flare gun into the roof and the concert hall went up in flames? Crazy stuff. You can hear all the commotion from about 1:20:00 onward in this video. Rofl, you can even hear backup singer Howard Kaylan say "Fire, by Arthur Brown!" because he was just stunned and had no idea what else to say to get peoples' attention.

It sucks that tune has been reduced to "easily mockable rock riff", I know it's an easy song to play (but to play well, that's a different story) but it tells a really interesting tale about a crazy event in rock history. These kinds of events - both directly and indirectly - lead to the birth of metal, which in turn got heavier and more varied as time went on. I'm a huge fan of Machine Head, they're cool. We need to bridge this gap between the metalheads and the rockers, man. Get some good vibes going. Right on, brother. *hits joint*

Now when did he say smoke on the water was bad?

The joke is that some people think that kind of music takes talent when metal doesn't. Yeah. Rock takes talent. Metal does too though, and it's 10 times easier to play smoke on the water than it is to play angel of death. Well, okay maybe not 10 times easier, but still way easier.

I don't think he said smoke on the water was bad.

also if you wanna bring metalheads and rockers together, one way to do that that I think would be cool is SLAYER, Slipknot, Led Zeppelin, and ACDC all coming together to do a whole show together, rockers and metalheads would rejoice

problem is, led zeppelin and ACDC don't really do live stuff anymore.....since they have dead members....and stopped making music.....

On 11/3/2019 at 6:42 AM, Doominator2 said:

That is really starting to PISS ME OFF

But, it's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

also if you wanna bring metalheads and rockers together, one way to do that that I think would be cool is SLAYER, Slipknot, Led Zeppelin, and ACDC all coming together to do a whole show together, rockers and metalheads would rejoice

Hold up. One of those is not like the others, unless Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park are invited too.

Having been to Slipknot's 2014-2015 "Prepare for Hell Tour" and Linkin Park's 2017 "One More Light" tour shortly before Chester Bennington's death, I can safely say that these two bands have fuck all to do with each other, and barely ever did. Of course, ignorance is a lot of why metalheads are shitty elitists anyway. Along a similar vein, having been to Slayer's farewell tour last year, where they commemorated Jeff Hanneman's death (with a giant Heineken-inspired backdrop banner), I can tell @Jason that they won't be going on many more tours either, or playing many more shows after this week. They have a lot more in common with Slipknot than the latter do with Limp Bizkit, but then, anybody knows that when they're not just indulging in stereotypes and bullshit.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Hold up. One of those is not like the others, unless Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park are invited too.

I think you're forgetting something...

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Hold up. One of those is not like the others, unless Linkin Park is invited too.

The only similarity I see between linkin park and slipknot is that they both have record scratch sounds in their songs........that's about it

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

We need to bridge this gap between the metalheads and the rockers, man.

I do not understand why this divide could exist, to be honest. Like, I view it all as a continuum, one which I would suggest I like a pretty broad middle section of. Evidently, older rock bands like Led Zeppelin and even KISS (War Machine and God of Thunder spring to mind) seemed to have no trouble leaning into Heavy Metal, whilst notable metal bands of a slightly fresher vintage can lean into Hard Rock (what is Metallica's black album, if not this?) or even a proper rock power ballad (Iron Maiden - Wasting Love, is my main example). Fuck it, to use a more recent example, Nickelback (a band it's weirdly cool not to like even though they're insanely popular and successful) even went in the direction of old school Heavy Metal with the song "Feed the Machine", which was a definite highlight to seeing them live. Then again, they often sneak a hard rock song or two into the albums... But this was the lead single!

I get that these days it's all cool to be in your specific niche (the more extreme or underground, the better) and that everything popular sucks... But good music isn't defined by genre. It's defined by whether you like it or not. I'm just as happy listening to a decent indie tune like "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" as I am listening to 7 minutes or so of Mors Principium Est growling about cosmic horror or the violence of war over their melodic death metal instrumentation. If it's too soft and not fun, I get bored, and if it's hyper-condensed aggression that I can't discern any meaning or tune from, it falls into "just noise".

39 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I do not understand why this divide could exist, to be honest.

To create a distinction and avoid throwing everyone in the same boat, quite simple really. Lack of distinction is precisely why so many have pre-conceived notions about the genres and the people listening to it, as they assume "it's all the same" and "we're all the same", which could not be further from the truth considering the many styles and subgenres, and very different people around.

43 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I get that these days it's all cool to be in your specific niche (the more extreme or underground, the better) and that everything popular sucks... But good music isn't defined by genre. It's defined by whether you like it or not. I'm just as happy listening to a decent indie tune like "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" as I am listening to 7 minutes or so of Mors Principium Est growling about cosmic horror or the violence of war over their melodic death metal instrumentation. If it's too soft and not fun, I get bored, and if it's hyper-condensed aggression that I can't discern any meaning or tune from, it falls into "just noise".

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in what you enjoy. As about the hatred for mainstream stuff, that's because some people who are into niche stuff feel like there's a reason to be there, and the stuff isn't soulless or made just to make a quick buck. That's not to say "all mainstream stuff sucks, period" because that's obviously ignorant, I'm just trying to explain why this attitude exists, from my POV. I agree with what you said after that point.

3 hours ago, Phobus said:

Of course, ignorance is a lot of why metalheads are shitty elitists anyway.

Nice stereotyping.

Metal?
Like Smash Mouth?

I like several quite obviously not metal genres, but I heard that once and I just had to wonder what metal they were listening to.

The thing about the Smoke on the Water riff is that a lot of people don't even play it properly. I've seen many people miss the little slide or use a pick instead of fingerpicking. Some even do full powerchords instead of the 5th+root ones which is just blasphemy, heh. I wonder how Blackmore feels about the whole meme; well he lives in a castle so he probably doesn't care or even know.

On topic: When people say "How can you enjoy it if you can't understand what they're saying?". I enjoy many genres of music incluiding Pop, but I get a bit sad when the lack of instruments in popular music leads into people thinking music is just about vocals.

guess my only misgiving about metal is that identity and song quality vanish into the mist of tech arms racing and suspiciously-applied virtuosity. like there are so many incredible technicians and performers in metal bands at this point but the music is more regimented and predictable than ever.

are there any metal bands out there who have like... a songwriter who doesn't spend all their time watching drum rudiment youtube tutorials

1 hour ago, unerxai said:

On topic: When people say "How can you enjoy it if you can't understand what they're saying?". I enjoy many genres of music incluiding Pop, but I get a bit sad when the lack of instruments in popular music leads into people thinking music is just about vocals.

Lol jokes on them. I focus on the instruments and completely ignore what the singers are doing. 

I remember in school my love for horror movies, and metal made me a target of "school shooter" jokes. I didn't really mind because it was just dumb teenage banter and I'm an irreverent clown when allowed to, but I can see someone else not being okay with being labeled that level of awful just because of their musical taste. They were at least joking, but I've seen people that genuinely believe metalheads are just violent, anti-social assholes. Mainly older people, but some younger folk too.

1 hour ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I remember in school my love for horror movies, and metal made me a target of "school shooter" jokes. I didn't really mind because it was just dumb teenage banter and I'm an irreverent clown when allowed to, but I can see someone else not being okay with being labeled that level of awful just because of their musical taste. They were at least joking, but I've seen people that genuinely believe metalheads are just violent, anti-social assholes. Mainly older people, but some younger folk too.

People who play videogames get that a lot too, although it's getting better a little, it feels like. It's now been scientifically proven that videogames/music don't cause violent behavior, but it's true that those who have a predisposition towards aggression or violence are more likely to seek it out in any entertainment media they might choose to consume. The average person will have some sort of threshold of what is acceptable, and it seems clear that most folks threshold is rather high, given the popularity of Quentin Tarantino movies, for example.  

When the whole 'school shooter' thing started going down and becoming widely reported around Columbine etc., I remember sitting around with my family watching the news and it was reported that the shooters enjoyed Marilyn Manson and Doom. I was into Doom and Manson at the time just by chance, and I remember when the game was mentioned, out of the corner of my eye I saw my dad's head turn slowly to look at me. I got the strong feeling like he thought at least for a moment "could he be one?" and it's like, how do you get away from people's pre-conceived notions, no matter how brief?

I rarely harm even an insect, when it rains I step over the worms that wriggle out of the grass as I walk along. Heavy metal music attracts its fair share of mean-spirited individuals, but I've met just as many metalheads who are soft-spoken and peaceable folks. The massacre that occurred in 1989 at the Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal, for example, pre-dates violent videogames and widespread "shock rock" by at least a number of years. This might be an indication that each individual case has very specific causes and can't be explained away by pointing the finger at something simple like 'entertainment'. 

Edited by reflex17 : slight phrasing edit