Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olzhas1one

WW2 in Doom

I've never seen mods for Doom based around it. You might quickly jump in and say "but muh wolfenstein!!!" But I don't think it's quite the same. Wolfenstein is more about espionage and undercover operations, less so about actual frontline warfare. I doubt even BoA does it, though I am gonna be honest I haven't played much of it so I don't know. I've yet to seen a mod about the Americans fighting the Nazis in France or the Japs

(less expecting the British and even lesser the Soviet campaigns).

So, my question is why has frontline WW2 been overlooked by the Doom 2 modding community, even after the release of modern sourceports?

14 hours ago, olzhas1one said:

So, my question is why has frontline WW2 been overlooked by the Doom 2 modding community, even after the release of modern sourceports?

Because even with modern sourceports like gzdoom the engine is still limited. Made some decent looking and more importantly playing(gameplay) WW2 mods with the right feel and atmosphere  will be very tricky, hard and mainly time consuming. I don't want to speak for someone else but i bet they will prefer more to do some classic where they have "strong hand" and bigger chance to succes rather than standing in unkown water with unkown succes of correct looking stuff and lost time. I hope this answer your question at least a little bit.

18 hours ago, olzhas1one said:

I've never seen mods for Doom based around it. You might quickly jump in and say "but muh wolfenstein!!!" But I don't think it's quite the same. Wolfenstein is more about espionage and undercover operations, less so about actual frontline warfare. I doubt even BoA does it, though I am gonna be honest I haven't played much of it so I don't know. I've yet to seen a mod about the Americans fighting the Nazis in France or the Japs

(less expecting the British and even lesser the Soviet campaigns).

Operation Overlord?

https://www.doomworld.com/13years/best2.php

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/njol

It’s not exactly WWII but there’s that mod that pretty accurately ports all of the Call of Duty guns to Doom. IIRC it’s called Real Guns Advanced, I could be misremembering though. Using that on crowded, largely outdoor maps would be a pretty war-like experience, at least for the Doom engine, though unfortunately I can’t think of any map sets that meet that description.

RGA only has the guns from MW2, so it's definitely a no-go. If it had the weapons from W@W or the other WWII CoDs, then yeah.

Best I can come up with is Nazis! by @wildweasel and the WolfenDoom maps.

I cant think of any off the top of my head, but the creator of Brutal Doom is working on a Doom wad called Vietdoom which looks amazing. Might wanna keep an eye on that if you feel like it.

Edited by Raccoon_I_Guess

Don't soldiers in warfare need some sort of chain of command and discipline? The default DOOM AI is too simple, stupid and chaotic. I already hate how the soldiers imported from Wolf3D act in DOOM.

Wouldn't this war gameplay be more appropriate for a strategy game? Otherwise we still have the main protagonist who does most of the work, helped by a few scripted (invulnerable or vital) teammates.