Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

PS2 Discussion thread

I wish someone would come up with an Optical Drive Emulator, at least for the slim model, "SMB or bust" is not really a place to be.

48 minutes ago, Billy Baron said:

Is the PS2 backwards compatible?

With some exceptions, yes, though to a somewhat annoying degree of also needing a PS1 memory card to save anything.

5 hours ago, YukiHerz said:

I wish someone would come up with an Optical Drive Emulator, at least for the slim model, "SMB or bust" is not really a place to be.

There are various ways to play PS2 games off hard drives, including on Slim models. There's not really a need for a ODE.

The only method i know of for slims is literally using the USB ports, which are slow and don't work that well outside of ps1 games, or setting up an SMB share, which is annoying to do but has good results.

My brother and I owned two different PS2 consoles when I was in my teens. One died and we had it looked at, it was determined the disc reader was fucked. We bought another one after trading in the old one and after 2 months it also died. I determined then that I was not meant to own a PS2, and I have/had such a large back catalog of N64-and-older games to get through that I figured I probably didn’t need more anyway.

Crash Bandicoot, Devil May Cry and Spyro are all fun, though.

PS2 BEST CONSOLE

I grew up with quite the large PS2 collection due to my older brother working at a CD shop thingy back in the mid 2000s  where they let him get PS2 games there for free (they didn't mind cuz they cool B) ) so i have played houndreds of PS2 games for years now and still find good games imagine :D
In my opinion the only console than can compete with the PS2 game-wise is the PS1 but the PS2 can play PS1 games.

So many console topics showing up lately.

Anyway, the one and only experience I've had with a PS2 was almost a decade ago, playing Resident Evil 4 with a friend. It was good fun, I have many memories of the challenges and story elements from that game, and it was one of my few experiences with controllers (my brain didn't split in half when I put my hands on it!)

Didn't have a PS2 (we bought an Xbox instead) but I had friends who had it. Easily one of the greatest video game libraries of all time. So many classic, quality games on that system. I regret never having one because I missed so many good games. I don't regret getting an Xbox though because I never would have played Ninja Gaiden Black otherwise lol.

Guest Unregistered account

We had a bunch of games. Lego Star Wars, Crazy Taxi, a Space Invaders package, Ratchet & Clank, and more. Ratchet & Clank in particular is a game I associate with my earliest memories and nothing can describe the nostalgia I felt when I rediscovered it this year. When I was about 7 the PS2 pretty much got replaced with our Wii, probably because it was too confusing for any of us kids to figure out how to connect it to our box TV.

Edit: the STARTUP SOUND! Unrivalled. Took me back when I heard it again.

Also worth noting is that I started emulating some games I wanted to try or visit again - R&C and Silent Hill 2 & 3 on my dad's utterly overpowered hand-me-down laptop I got for college. It can play Doom 2016 high settings; Ratchet & Clank still brought it to its knees, though... 

8 hours ago, seed said:

So many console topics showing up lately.

You can thank me for that, just trying to bring up more new threads because a lot of the threads here are pretty old.

I bought the PS2 Slim specifically for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. Metal Gear Online was a total blast, even though it would be pretty laggy some times.

I loved PS2! By the time my parents would finally get me one in early 2002 (since i had gotten an N64 late in it's life), GTA III was all the rage with my friends and i didn't have a PC that could run it. I was mainly a console gamer anyways so i was forced to trade in my SNES + N64 in order to help pay for the brand new PS2. The first game i got was GTA III. It was super dope.

I did have issues with the PS2 a few years later though. Luckily i think my parents had gotten an extended warranty or something. We had to send it to a Sony facility down in Texas or something (i don't remember too much exactly). They sent us one back and that one had issues lol. So we sent that one back and they finally sent one back that worked.

A few years later (late 2005/early '06 possibly) i traded it in for an Xbox since i had been playing Xbox for years at friends houses but i didn't have my own lol. I still have that Xbox and it works. I did end up getting another phat PS2 and games. My older cousin was going to sell his so i bought it off of him back in 2010?? I also found a regular black slim PS2 that works great at a goodwill about 4-ish years ago that i use to this day.

OH, i did end up buying another N64 from GameStop before they originally stopped selling classic consoles the first time around for around $35.00 USD some years later and my buddy gave me his SNES and some games for no reason!! So i have that lol. It was filthy but i didn't care. Unfortunately i have no boxed games for my SNES or N64 like i did when i was a kid, besides one sealed Pinball game for SNES but it's kinda beat up.

10 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

You can thank me for that, just trying to bring up more new threads because a lot of the threads here are pretty old.

I don't want to backseat mod but generally speaking, starting a bunch of threads saying, "Here's a subject now discuss!" is a no no. If you start a topic you'd best have something to say about it.

Somehow I thought this thread was going to be about the computer or the ports named after the computer. I guess that's my contribution.

The only games on PS2 which interested me was the Sly Cooper trilogy, I wanted those games back in the day but I couldn't get them because I had a Gamecube not a PS2, with the limited money I was receiving then I wouldn't want to waste it on a second console especially not if it was only for three games.

Edited by Avoozl

Ahh the Playstation 2... A console I held for the longest time as the best console ever (Until the switch came along <3). Not only did this console have some amazing games like "Ape Escape 3", "LEGO Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy", "Metal Gear Solid 2", etc... but I think it still has one of, if not THE best controller designs ever (personally(Though to be fair has Sony ever strayed from the original dual-shock/dual analogue design?)).

I still have the bulky, silver version all these years later. :)

Didn't really use my PS2 that much, I mainly got it from a pawn shop so I could play Maximo, Rygar, and Contra: Shattered Soldier. I got quite a bit of mileage out of GTA: VC and GTA:SA, Silent Hill 2, and Shadow of Colossus. And they were great. I mostly used the GameCube for playing games, the PS2 didn't get that much use. And RE4 looked a hell of alot better on the GameCube. As I said in other threads, I was a Nintendo kid. 

But the most underrated game on the PS2 in my opinion was Urban Chaos: Riot Response. It was probably the best FPS game released for the PS2. As far as console FPS games, GoldenEye is the best (yeah, nostalgia), followed by TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (God the multiplayer was great), and Urban Chaos. It basically refined GoldenEye. You had mission goals to unlock cheats. They were time based, or using lethal or less-lethal methods to take down criminals (called burners in the game... because they burned things), or rescuing civilians. It was a brilliantly designed game; certainly my favorite single player FPS on the PS2. The combination of using lethal weapons, stun guns, using a riot shield to protect yourself, and assisting in various civilian rescues made for a great game.

And tomorrow I'm going to have to hook up the PS2 and play it again. Hopefully the nostalgia hasn't blinded me. But it was a really good game.

Here's a video. Watching it again, I'm impressed the PS2 could handle it.

And all those unlocks at the end? You didn't have to pay for them. You just played the game. I really miss those days.

Edited by Jello

I had Urban Chaos, good game but I preferred Timesplitters 3 to be honest.

The PS2-GC-Xbox was my favourite console generation by far because I had all three (perk of the timing I guess, I had some part time work at the time) and all three were awesome. My games library for all three approached 200 games at one point but in the end I sold them all a few years ago. Sort of regret it but eh, I'm not as enthusiastic a gamer as I used to be. I grew up as a big nintendo fan but I really have no use for them now, and thats still more than I can say of Sony and Microsoft. 

I have around 100 PS2 games and yet I feel like I've only just scraped the top of the barrel, I have so much more to get and I'm honestly excited to see what else is out on the console.

Used to love playing on the PS2, particularly fond memories of playing TimeSplitters 2 split screen, we weren't allowed to play video games during the week so me and my brother would always get up on saturday morning and jump straight on.

I pretty much grew up on ps2, good old times. I remember one of the first game i played on it was Read Dead Revolver and still to this day this one is for me the best western game i played on the other hand i nearly destroyed ps2 few times thanks to Jak 2 Renegade, man that game was so f*cking hard but i still loved that game anyway