• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FirebrandX

New PSX Doom music tracks up:

Tracks 5 and 6 are now finished and zipped. Here are the links:

cycled out
cycled out

Elbryan made an error on his rip of track six and ended the track at 4:41. The track actually ends at 5:53. I don't fault him for missing this as there is a several second pause. I use a program called Goldwave to avoid these problems. I just look at the wave pattern to spot where the loop begins.

L.H., are you still interested in downloading these? Just need to be sure somebody is downloading these so I'm not wasting my time.

Anyway, tracks 3 and 4 will now be cycled out. I'll keep responding to this thread with new tracks every 12 hours.

As am I. Having never played the PSX version of Doom, these tracks strike me as very impressive. Music not unlike that of composers such as David Kristian.

Thank you for your efforts in posting these.

These may be a higher bitrate for those purists, but there are ones at 128 bit (using Lame, so you can barely tell the difference) on my site in my sig. There's also the music from ALL of the other Doom's (including the new GBA Doom 2) on there as well.

If I wasn't worried about using too much webspace, I would put higher bitrate ones up. :P

elbryan42 said:

These may be a higher bitrate for those purists, but there are ones at 128 bit (using Lame, so you can barely tell the difference) on my site in my sig. There's also the music from ALL of the other Doom's (including the new GBA Doom 2) on there as well.

If I wasn't worried about using too much webspace, I would put higher bitrate ones up. :P

btw Elbryan, I was going to send you a e-mail along time ago saying good job on the PSX sounds and music (Doom Depot is the first place I found them even though I have better sounds now)

Okay, I'll get started right away on tracks 7 and 8.

BTW We all should owe thanks to Elbryan for his efforts. I know he worked very hard on his sounds and music rips. I've downloaded hundreds of MBs from his site.

FirebrandX said:

Okay, I'll get started right away on tracks 7 and 8.

BTW We all should owe thanks to Elbryan for his efforts. I know he worked very hard on his sounds and music rips. I've downloaded hundreds of MBs from his site.

Yeah, I love the Doom Depot (even though it's only updated once every month) :)
I have downloaded countless tracks there.

ok, got them already :)
Too bad there isn't a more permanent location for these. Elbryan's Tracks are good, but yours are somewhat louder and more clear. Too bad it uses up so much hard drive space though :-/

I look at it this way: All the mp3s together will easily fit on one CD rom. So I figure it's like doing a full-install of a game onto your hard drive.

I'll get tracks 9 and 10 up later on tonight. I'm going to number the tracks by what stage number they first appear on. So you might see a skip of a couple of numbers to keep in sync with the level numbers.

FirebrandX said:

I look at it this way: All the mp3s together will easily fit on one CD rom.

Actually, that's not a bad idea to save HD space... You could easily point Kickstart to load up a .WAD file on a CD that is full of the PS Mp3s. That would make it play music directly from the CD, instead of using up so much space.

BTW, what other .DED files have you customized Firebrand? We should exchange our work so we can get the best out of Jdoom :)

You know what would really own? If elbryan or someone like FirebrandX (hint, hint :) did some Castlevania: Symphony of the Night MP3s. I for one would greatly appreciate having SOTN's music on my hard drive so I can listen to it whenever I'm online or whatever.

Elbryan said he wouldn't do that since you can already buy a CD soundtrack. However, I might do it as a one-time only thing after I get done with these Doom tracks. Worship me if I do... ;-)

You can download the SOTN tracks from the Castlevania Dungeon (http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/). It's not only my decision not to put up mp3s from albums and warez, but my friend who owns wrong.button.com is worried about getting into trouble from the guy who owns button.com, who's anti-warez. Sorry, but the Doom Depot (and the Castlevania Treasury) will do all that's possible to not influence people to cheat artists/programmers/etc out of their hard earned money.

I'd only do it because I'm not actually ripping CD OST tracks. I have to record these from the game the same way I do Doom. I look at it as doing something that anyone can do themselves on their own time, except I'm doing it for them. It would be different if the only means of getting the tracks were ripping them from the OST discs.

Anyway, I haven't actually decided I would do it, just thinking about it.

Tracks 9 and 10 are now up:

cycled out
cycled out

There's actually a hidden joke to track 9. If you pull the midi sample it uses and play it at 44100 speed, it turns out to be a sample of a boy-band singing! Sounds like Nsync or something.

lol, I never knew that... and on the creepiest track too! I think I know what part it's on. There is a part in the track when it sounds like a guy in the background is "screaming" If that was slowed down I'll bet it would sound like singing :)

Actually, the whole track is just that one sample being played at various speeds and frequencies. I'll convert the sample to a wave and upload it for you to hear. Right now, I'm about to upload tracks 11 and 12. This will leave only 8 more to go of the midi tracks.

BTW, I was snooping around the Symphony of the Night CD and found the secret stash of the music tracks. They are stored at 38700Khz and then combined into one giant sound wad.

I just noticed that Elbryan's version of track 11 is 5:38, while your version is only 3:58! did your track get cut off at the end?

Edit: and track 12 is 5:00 for his version and 4:45 for yours! I noticed a few other tracks that were off as well, but I didn't mention them because his tracks were shorter than yours in those cases, so no worries there.

There's actually a reason mine are shorter on those. I end my tracks exactly on the loopback (so that they are played accurately in Doom ports). The ones where Elbryan's were longer are because he extended them beyond the loopback points.

Track 12 actually loops back at the 1:35 mark, but I felt I should get 3 loops in there before ending it. Elbryan gets slightly over 3 loops in his version of that track, which is why his ends 15 seconds after mine. In any case, there's nothing being lost on either version.

Ahh, good old Snes music. You know I use the Super Jukebox program for Snes music nowadays. I just either download my favorite SMC files or make my own dumps using either Zsnes or Snes9x. After you mess around with the settings on Super Jukebox, you can get it to play the tracks even better than the console could!

On another note, I've figured out how to make direct rips of all the Castlevania SotN songs without having to record them manually. It involved using 2 different programs, but the end result is perfection. I found the entire Japanese dialog was also stored along with the music tracks. I think the english Alucard voice sounds better though.

FirebrandX said:

Ahh, good old Snes music. You know I use the Super Jukebox program for Snes music nowadays. I just either download my favorite SMC files or make my own dumps using either Zsnes or Snes9x. After you mess around with the settings on Super Jukebox, you can get it to play the tracks even better than the console could!

On another note, I've figured out how to make direct rips of all the Castlevania SotN songs without having to record them manually. It involved using 2 different programs, but the end result is perfection. I found the entire Japanese dialog was also stored along with the music tracks. I think the english Alucard voice sounds better though.

I used Super Jukebox before too. You can find loads of SMC files at Zophar's Domain. If the file isn't there, you probably won't find it anywhere :)

There's actually a reason mine are shorter on those. I end my tracks exactly on the loopback (so that they are played accurately in Doom ports). The ones where Elbryan's were longer are because he extended them beyond the loopback points.

Track 12 actually loops back at the 1:35 mark, but I felt I should get 3 loops in there before ending it. Elbryan gets slightly over 3 loops in his version of that track, which is why his ends 15 seconds after mine. In any case, there's nothing being lost on either version.

Nope, I didn't let them loop. They sound like they loop, but there's some distinct differences. I listened for the EXACT start, usually after a second pause.

All of the PSX tracks have definite ends. Some Doom 64 tracks, however, like Map03, don't have ends, and required editing. I regretted having to do this, but some Doom 64 tracks went on for 45 minutes without stopping and starting exactly at the beginning.

Just listened to track 12 (Deimos Lab) right now, and I don't hear looping at 1:35... I think you'd better listen to yours again. And listening to track 11, and it doesn't repeat FOR SURE until the 5:38 mark, where there's a distinct pause (at least a second) and then you hear the start of the track.

Not to create extra work for you, but I've redone these tracks over and over until I got them ripped right, and have been listening to them non-stop ever since. I KNOW the PSX tracks, even have some awesome ones like Mt Erebus and Diemos Anomoly memorized. So, please, double check on those tracks. I recorded over 10 minutes of each, and examined them closely, making sure I got the EXACT loop, nothing more, nothing less.

elbryan42 said:

Not to create extra work for you, but I've redone these tracks over and over until I got them ripped right, and have been listening to them non-stop ever since. I KNOW the PSX tracks, even have some awesome ones like Mt Erebus and Diemos Anomoly memorized. So, please, double check on those tracks. I recorded over 10 minutes of each, and examined them closely, making sure I got the EXACT loop, nothing more, nothing less.

If you can find the time, I would like to have fixed versions of them. I love the quality of all the ones you have uploaded so far. The only one you truly need to fix up is track 12. The rest are great.