Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Be honest...

I think I'm about average.
I haven't played Doom or Doom II in a couple of months, so I think I've lost that feeling now.

better than "i'm pretty darn good", but nowhere near "i am among the best!". i'm talking about DM, btw.

It'll be interesting to see if "Averagely Average." becomes the average here. If not, the poll (rather, the votes) will be flawed because the average will not really be average.

I think this poll would be a bit more meaningful if a bit of guidance were given (e.g. if you can't beat Doom2 on UV you are below average; if you can comfortably beat Plutonia on UV, you are above average; only vote "among the best!" if you are of compet-N standard, etc.).

I'm sure some very good players regard themselves (modestly) as merely average, while some completely hopeless players would also describe themselves as average.

Anyway, what does "average" mean here? Average for those voting in this poll, average for Doomworlders, average for those who currently play Doom, or average for those who have ever played Doom?

I rate meself as I’m pretty dang-didd-a-lee darn good... Mainly cuz I dont like to say that "I'm Teh Best!!" cuz that makes me look like a ego-maniac.

well, i get my ass whopped time and time again by a guy who says he's "just average", so...

I have NO idea - I haven't seen other doomers play sp and it's ages since I played dm (which I know I suck at anyway).

I'd guess that I suck at sp too, because I take a lot of hits when I playtest Spike's Underworld map12 (and Liam the Bard claimed that map11 was "too easy" in one of his reviews which I didn't think it was)

I'd say "I'm pretty darn good" in SP, but "I'm not too good" in DM. I nearly always play on UV, and I've never had a terrible amount of trouble with it... with the exception of, say, the later levels of Alien Vendetta. As for DM, I'm a keyboarder. 'Nuff said.

I'd say better than 'pretty darn good', as I can beat Plutonia on UV with -fast, starting with a pistol each map, but not quite 'I'm among the best' as there are some maps that beat me (notably ap_006) and I've only played DM once (and that was on Quake 2 a few years ago. I beat a friend 20-13 over 4 maps)

As long as i'm using a port with mlook (in my case, Jdoom), i'm pretty good. I've been playing FPS's since Wolfenstien 3D, so i've had about 10 years of practice in general.

Better than sucky, worse than goddy.

I was able to beat AV map 20 on difficulty 3, and only dieing 20 times. Is that good enough? Then again, I kept getting lost too...

I like to think I'm not bad, but compared to some... heh...

I can do 100% runs of all Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 maps from scratch (with the possible exception of E4M1, which I'm sure I could do if I tried, but I can't be bothered with it, heh) I don't have Final Doom...

Let's see, pretty much everyone's played Hell Revealed... I finished this on UV but only by continuing forwards and by reloading a lot, so I don't know if that counts, I don't think you can say you've beaten a map if you die on it... I've done about the first third of it from scratch on UV and quite a lot of it from scratch on HNTR.

What's needed is something like this: You'd have a map you've played loads of times before, a map you've completed one or two times, and one unseen, You have to beat each on the highest skill level you can manage. However it'd be impossible to administrate, I mean, where would you get the unseen maps from? Oh well.

I've killed a few imps...

(Speaking seriously, read what Grazza said.)

RjY said:

Let's see, pretty much everyone's played Hell Revealed... I finished this on UV but only by continuing forwards and by reloading a lot ...

I'd say that makes you pretty good, at least! (I assume you're talking about reloading every now and then - say, ten times per map at most - rather than every few seconds.)

RjY said:

I mean, where would you get the unseen maps from? Oh well.

There are a lot of good maps from some years ago that are not widely known nowadays. I'd suggest looking at: http://home.pacbell.net/jflynn/
For instance, Enigma.wad has some really testing maps, esp. map04 onwards.

RjY said:

Let's see, pretty much everyone's played Hell Revealed... I finished this on UV but only by continuing forwards and by reloading a lot, so I don't know if that counts, I don't think you can say you've beaten a map if you die on it...

The way I see it is this: if you can beat a map on UV, with as many reloads as you need (quicksave/load are there for a reason), but without cheating, then it counts. (the important thing is you don't use god mode, no clipping and powerup toggles to bypass traps, puzzles etc.)

I beat The ultimate Doom, and Doom2 on UV without cheating, or quicksave/loading. Then again, it's not really that hard.

Edit: I also play many wads out there with mods that decrease the total ammo. Ex. 4 shell pickups are less. Total ammo picked up less. Ex. In my dsmisc.wad (don't bother looking, not released yet)
Here's ammo specs:

Bullets- 150 without backpack, 300 with
Shells- 40 without backpack, 80 with
Rockets- 10 without, 20 with
Cells- 20 without, 40 with (plasmagun is a fireball rifle)

Rockets- half damage
Cells- twice damage
BFG uses 5 cells

Mancubus fire fireballs (like your plasmagun)

Good news, pistol and chaingun are somewhat faster (not byu much)

Yes, it is harder. But more fun.

Edit: This is all dehacked stuff too.

CS weapons and ROTT stuff too.

Ultimate DooMer said:

The way I see it is this: if you can beat a map on UV, with as many reloads as you need (quicksave/load are there for a reason), but without cheating, then it counts. (the important thing is you don't use god mode, no clipping and powerup toggles to bypass traps, puzzles etc.)

It's there for when your girlfriend calls and you have to go out and it's there for when you're just checking out a map. And cheats "are there for a reason" too, you know. Completing a map from beginning to end from scratch isn't the same as saving in the difficult parts and playing them over and over till it's complete. Doing them all together without failing is much harder and requires more skill and experience (and it's what "beating" a map really is.)

ravage said:

I also play many wads out there with mods that decrease the total ammo.

In which case you'll love my ZDoom episode when it comes out, as you only have half the usual ammo capacity. (100, 25, 25, 150 without backpack, 200, 50, 50, 300 with)

It's hard to measure my skill in Single Player. Comparing to other people I've played with in Co-op, I'd say average.
When it comes to DM I'm not too good...

myk said:

It's there for when your girlfriend calls and you have to go out ...

No, that's what answering machines are for. Get your priorities right, dammit! :)

I don't see any great problem with using savegames as long as it doesn't become a form of cheating, i.e. save and then wander into a room expecting to die just to find out where everything is, then reload and make your real attempt using the knowledge gained, etc.

Unless you're recording a demo (or you're using one of those old .exe's where the monsters fall asleep upon reloading), making a savegame every ten minutes or so on a tough map just seems a sensible safety-net - which you hope never to need, of course.

Grazza said:

No, that's what answering machines are for. Get your priorities right, dammit! :)

Heh. But really, savegames ruin the game. Might as well play on a lower difficulty till you know the map. That's what they're there for (talking about things "being there.")

Interesting, nobody has picked ' I am one of the best'...

and yes, I use save and load alot. I can pretty much finish the first three episodes of the ultimate doom with out needing to save more then once per level…

I have also modified ammo pickups a little in one of my TCs that i'm working on, mostly the ammount of ammo the player can carry. I find when i play, 100 rockets and 600 cells just sit around too much. Ammo of those types should be heavily limited, making it more of a insentive to grab them when they pop up in nasty hard to reach places.

Well, i have no way of knowing how good i am at DM on my mac [/i] (But i am a hardcore keyboarder...using the mouse isn't Doom anyways)[/i] I suppose i could try using Legecy, but it tends to crash after ~20 minutes or so.

I loaded my copy of Ultimate Doom on an old mac at school and played E2M8 on Nightmare. The Wolf3d nerds seemed to think i did a really good job on Cybie (I also showed them my mad punching skillz) so i guess i'm above average.

Ct_red_pants said:

Interesting, nobody has picked ' I am one of the best'...

Who put a vote in the "one of Teh Best" a-round here..

It was you.

Who me?

Yes you.

Couldn't be.

Then who?

I gotta say I'm average in single player. in deathmatch I'm below average, but getting better. I used to keyboard, but I gotta say that my game improved when I started using the mouse. now I can't play straight keyboard for shit.