Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Auto correct that doesn’t change actual words?

I could probably ask this on some Apple forum, buttfuck it.

Is there some way to keep autocorrect enabled, but prevent it from nonsensically changing actual words?

For example, when I fat finger completely and I just type gibberish, I’m happy for it to try and find real words in there. But when I type things like “thousand-yard stare” I don’t want it to dumbly change it to “state”. Stare is a real goddamn word FFS. It happens all the time too, “baked ham” will become “baker ham” or “naked ham” or whatever else such nonsense.

What genius thought it was a good idea for autocorrect to be able to mangle perfectly real words forming perfectly cohesive sentences into pure gobbledygook? Sure, if the word I type doesn’t exist, by all means find the nearest alternative, but stop replacing legitimate words FFS! it’s so annoying fighting it, but I think sensible autocorrect is a wonderful thing. I doubt there’s a solution or update or whatever but if there is I’d love it.

I too would like to know this but I have a Samsung. Ever since I changed my phone it spells some of my words for me.

To be honest, I turned that crap off and just adjusted and formed better proofreading habits. It sucks, but it's better than technology being a bigger pain in the ass than a help.

I used to think Swype-style keyboards were stupid for this reason, but in the last couple years I hate being without it. I'm scribbling across the keyboard and depending on auto-correct to guess what I'm going to say, and 80% of the time it's right and it saves a lot of time.

When that doesn't happen I just type it out the old way and click the quoted suggestion i.e. "this is exactly what you typed, idiot, are you sure?" and keep moving.

Are you using a keyboard that shows 3 suggestions at the top? I hate being without that.

The one I’m using does show suggestions, but in the event I plow on through and ignore the suggestions, it decides i must have wanted one of them and replaces real, existing words with other random-yet-similar words. It’s pretty hilarious. The best of both worlds would be if the suggestions were present, but not “forced”. I could probably re-learn touchscreen typing, but I think it would be more effort at this point.

It’s really not a huge deal, I just never understood swapping out actual words for other words. Feels like it should be reserved for attempting to correct words that don’t exist or that it doesn’t know. Replacing “good” with “food” is one of it’s favourite trucks (I literally typed tricks but I’ll leave it just to emphasise the point). Any time I go out with friends I have a very food time.

I activated spell checking to help track errors but I given up in auto correct.

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I could probably ask this on some Apple forum, buttfuck it.

oh yeah I like that ;)

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For example, when I fat finger completely and I just type gibberish, I’m happy for it to try and find real words in there. But when I type things like “thousand-yard stare” I don’t want it to dumbly change it to “state”. Stare is a real goddamn word FFS. It happens all the time too, “baked ham” will become “baker ham” or “naked ham” or whatever else such nonsense.

What genius thought it was a good idea for autocorrect to be able to mangle perfectly real words forming perfectly cohesive sentences into pure gobbledygook? Sure, if the word I type doesn’t exist, by all means find the nearest alternative, but stop replacing legitimate words FFS!

I just straight up disabled autocorrect. I'm tired of the word condoms turning into condoments. YEAH I KNOW YOUR COMPANY THINKS IT'S WEIRD FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT CONDOMS BUT HOW DO CONDOMENTS PREVENT STDS FFS STOP CHANGING WHAT I'M SAYING BECAUSE THEY THINK "IT'S VULGAR THEREFORE THEY DON'T MEAN TO SAY THAT" EVEN THOUGH CONDOM ISN'T A VULGAR WORD FUCK PHONES PC IS BEST

Nah man just disable it completely. You will thank yourself for doing that.

I want to be able to turn absolutely every aspect of this crap off. However, Swiftkey, even with all autofeatures turned off, will still insert autospaces that need to be deleted manually in many cases - which of course wastes a lot more time than you spend typing spaces where you need them. For some reason they refuse to make this optional. Fortunately, enabling arrow keys makes things easier in many ways.

I just briefly tried Gboard, which does allow you to turn off autospace, but has other annoyances. So it's back to Swiftkey and annoying space deletion. Oh well, most of my work is done on a PC anyway, thankfully.

As for your actual question, I'd suggest taking full responsibility for your own spelling. No amount of autocorrect is going to be any more than a cosmetic help, and will tend to create more problems than it solves. The meaning of a misspelt word will often be obvious, whereas a wrongly corrected one may cause real confusion. (I speak from many years of editing experience. One I recall was the baffling "A sweet finally." OK, the guy didn't know how to spell finale and probably typed something like finalle or finaly. If autocorrect/spellcheck hadn't intervened, the error would have been clear.)

Ive decided to turn off most auto correct features and I must say it’s already better. Real words not being replaced at random is worth it even if I have to be a bit more deliberate.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I just straight up disabled autocorrect. I'm tired of the word condoms turning into condoments.

Condiments?

Generally the problem is kind of the opposite, the kinky phone turning some innocent phrase into something lewd. Or insulting.

Really, sending messages should be a two-step process, first preview, then send.

Well I am old enough to remember how
T9 predictive text was in the new millenium. All its glorious escapades into the unknown dark corners of word association games.

I write and speak in 2 languages, plus my mothers dialect.  Maybe there is a way now-a-days to differentiate between what language you are writing in. T9 has however put me off for life. Even if it was there is still the issue of trying writing in my mothers dialect with auto correct.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:28 AM, Gez said:

Condiments?

Generally the problem is kind of the opposite, the kinky phone turning some innocent phrase into something lewd. Or insulting.

Really, sending messages should be a two-step process, first preview, then send.

And how!

Sure, the autocorrect... Goddamnit! Wait, why was that word underlined too?! ...adds to dictionary...

Anyway, it does have its uses, but it also becomes an absolute nuisance at times!