Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HLRaven

Things that you Loved but now Hate

Well my last topic was "Things that you hated but now love" was interesting, time to switch it up

Mine would be uhh, well i don't have any actually, I don't know if Brutal doom counts? I don't love it as much as i did before but it's still a fun mod to boot up sometimes out of boredom

My Wife.

Kidding i'm not married.

I would say I use to love really heavy metal and brutal dubstep. Now I can't really stand much of them.

Next topic: 'Things that you Hated, then Loved, but now Hate again'.

In general, rap music. Used to be my go-to music when I was younger. Though I wouldn't say I 'hate' it now, I just don't listen to much of it anymore, doesn't really do much for me. Any rap I hate now, I definitely would have hated when I was younger too.

If we're talking strictly in a Doom context, I guess total slaughter maps. Used to love that shit, not so much anymore. It's not that I *mind* shit tons of enemies thrown at me, but there needs to be some sort of strategic, tactical thought that's been put into it. For example, some of the maps from the 'Hell Revealed' WADs have aged rather poorly, despite them still being really quality WADs overall. You can't just throw 20 Arch-Viles/Revenants/whatever in my path and think that makes for a compelling encounter. So I guess it isn't slaughter maps per se that I dislike, it's just ones that have very little thought put into them.

3 hours ago, Chezza said:

My Wife.

My ex-wife.

Also Green Day. I don’t hate them, but when I was 14-15 I went through a punky phase and loved them, but now I wouldn’t choose to put them on. A few years ago I wondered if all music I loved at 14 would sound shitty to me since Green Day sorta did, but The Offspring and The Ramones still sounded good to my ears, so I guess it was just a case of outgrowing them.

41 minutes ago, Gez said:

Birthdays

Why so? They're good for your health. The more you've had, the longer you live.

On a serious note though, I wholeheartedly agree. They have had lost their meaning for me as well, throughout my maturing from adolescent into a young adult (only four days to 26, hooray.)

1 hour ago, Cell said:

On a serious note though, I wholeheartedly agree. They have had lost their meaning for me as well, throughout my maturing from adolescent into a young adult (only four days to 26, hooray.)

Ha, tell me about it... I'm 30 next week. I think the worst bit with that is it's a milestone, so people (immediate family and girlfriend, to be fair, so I know they mean well) want to make a really big deal about it and seem disappointed in me for not having grand ideas or ambitious celebration plans. I kind of feel guilty that they're so keen to splash out for me.

On the topic, and as this is in Doom, I used to love the idea of playing the biggest and baddest stuff out there. Alien Vendetta and all that. I'd hammer away at it, save scum and generally do my best to beat it, because it being big and hard (phrasing?) was all part of the appeal. I don't have the time for that shit now, and bigger and badder is gigantic and ridiculous these days, so I appreciate the craft, to an extent, but it's not for me. I hate getting bogged down in Doom these days (also other games - I much prefer to have a good time beating stuff and seeing as much as there is to offer).

PrBoom+. I don't hate it, but due to bad Vsync issues and lack of development, I have become less interested in it and become more interested in Eternity Engine, Crispy Doom and GZdoom instead. I only use PrB+ for recording demos.

Also I don't care about Brutal Doom anymore, whereas I used to really like it a few years ago.

18 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

ZDoom

basically.

And also some aspects of both the level and monster designs of Doom... I wouldn't say I 'hate' the large amount of cannon fodder, but I find it really lame; shooting essentially harmless enemies has gotten boring to me. I've been playing Quake very often lately, and I love how almost every single enemy truly counts as a threat.

The final map of Doom 2. When I was a child, I loved saving that map in a different slot and having fun killing unlimited demons. Nowadays, I try to avoid it. It's more suffering than entertaining. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:46 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Super Mario Djent is still a classic:

well yeah

Deathmatching on Dead Simple. Should be called Death by Boredom. I understand why the D5 version is a tournament staple but I could never play that map again and be OK with it. I would also mention shoot.wad here but I never loved that little turd anyway.

Gangsta rap and the social culture it promotes.  I was really into it when I was about thirteen or fourteen for a couple of years.  Sagging pants, big jewelry, crooked hats, trendy sneakers, big expensive rims on shitty vehicles...I was drawn to it due to my desire to be accepted in my school that was populated mostly by children of that ilk.  Well, thankfully I grew out of that phase.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, Doomkid said:

Green Day

Green Day's new music is some of the WORST SHIT I've heard in years. I fucking hate their new songs, I can't stand them! THeir old stuff was so good, but now they're doing what SlipKnoT's doing: turning into shit.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, Doomkid said:

My ex-wife.

Also Green Day.<...> Offspring and The Ramones still sounded good to my ears, so I guess it was just a case of outgrowing them.

I never liked GD, but still love The Offspring, though my favourite tracks shift a little with the time. To be honest, it's fuckong scares me, how little I've changed, just got tired and less emotional.

Brutal doom, it's what got me farther into the doom community. Aside from the controversies that the creator did a while back it's kinda stale in terms of gameplay and what it does, the gore and extra animations especially after you got through everything and saw what was to offer. Equally also it can become unbalanced as hell at times and breaks the difficulty for some maps that were made with vanilla stuff in mind. 

Vanilla doom is like a fine juicy medium rare steak while brutal doom is that same steak with way way way too much seasoning and A1 sauce on it. 

13 hours ago, DoomedFox said:

Brutal doom, it's what got me farther into the doom community. Aside from the controversies that the creator did a while back it's kinda stale in terms of gameplay and what it does, the gore and extra animations especially after you got through everything and saw what was to offer. Equally also it can become unbalanced as hell at times and breaks the difficulty for some maps that were made with vanilla stuff in mind. 

IMHO Brutal Doom is kind of a proof-of-concept of what can be achieved in Doom modding.