Find results in...
bobstremglav

Which games are bad, but you like them?

11 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

These are more jank as all hell rather than out and out bad but

Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

ROTT 2013

Dark Corners was insanely awesome! Best game about Cthulhu Mythos.

Some games people list in this thread aren't even bad. Fallout 4 and Sonic Adventure 2 are far from being outright bad games lol.

I'm only going off my head real quick so and i'm only posting a few:

• Fallout 3 - A lot of people hate this one but i like it. I even beat it without completely vanilla lol.
  • Duke Nukem Forever - One plus is that at least on PC you can have 4 weapons instead of only 2 like on console which is where i first played it lol (i know it was patched in to support 4 weapons on PC later though). Also i think the DLC is really quite good.
  • Hitman: Contracts - not a bad game at all tbh, just overshadowed by Blood Money imo.
  • Hard Drivin' (Sega Genesis) - Game has a bad rep due to the low FPS and laggy controls but if you couldn't play the arcade version this one was pretty popular in homes back in the day (so i've gathered).

That's all i can think of.

Paranautical Activity.

Binding of Isaac meets Quake. Great concept. Shit execution. Small cramped rooms, annoying hitboxes on architecture making dodging even harder, and it's basically eternally in beta because the dev got kicked off Steam for sending a death threat to Gabe Newell about some internal Steam dev problem. Some shovelware publisher bought it promising to finish the game... they just did some bugfixes.

And the guy who did the AMAZING soundtrack has hardly gotten paid for his work.

Virtual Hydlide for the Sega Saturn. Randomized generation is the selling point, but very linear quest progression. I replay it because of the digitized graphics and scale of adventure. The player goes from dirty peasant with a club, to less dirty peasant with armor enchanted by fairies and flame sword.

Spoiler

9wFCZe8.jpg

Alien vs Predator 2010.

It's not a terrible game by any means, but the campaigns are quite basic or short. The multiplayer balance is broken and messy.

However I played the shit out of it, a big thanks to having a fun community to engage with. I was big into steam and gaming communities back then.

Red Faction 2. Almost everyone says that it it objectively inferior to the first game. But I personally enjoyed it more than RF1. Its true that RF2 only loosely based on the RF1's universe and it doesn't offer the same amount of Geomod destruction. The campaign is also a lot shorter than RF1's. But RF2 did offer better gunplay and more variety of weapons+dedicated grenade button. The action also felt smooth and more fast paced. The occasional battle mech segments were also really cool. The level design was also tighter and better (minus the nasty spider bomb segments).

Another game is Chasm: The Rift. This game is a really weird Quake clone that was released in 1997. By weird, I mean that on one hand, it had really good looking graphics(which I feel are actually even better than Quake 1 and even Quake 2) and had really good looking 3D enemy models that could even loose their limbs during combat. But on the other hand, the engine was severely limited in terms of level design capabilities. The levels completely lack any kind of verticality whatsoever and are just usually tight mazes, often containing dickish traps. However I really enjoyed it in the past.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:20 PM, Jason said:

I love the game, and considered it to be a great game, but a lot of people hate Friday the 13th on NES for the stupidest reasons.

n00bs probably pick Mark, Laura and Chrissy first and get them killed off while trying to figure out the map LOL

On 11/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

These are more jank as all hell rather than out and out bad but

Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

ROTT 2013

Ooooh, I played in Nosferatu, and passed it once :-)

Also I forgot about Chex Quest series

7 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I'm only going off my head real quick so and i'm only posting a few:

• Fallout 3 - A lot of people hate this one but i like it. I even beat it without completely vanilla lol.

I seem to recall people hating F3 was because of how horrible it is from a technical standpoint. I remember reading stuff saying that it was almost impossible to complete due to save game corruption issues. A bad game in itself, however? That would be a new one.

4 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

the chex quest series are considered bad?

Well, I heard a lot that it's just clone doom and etc, but it have unique style and atmosphere. As AVGN said, it pretty good because it's try to be a game. I dunno really, I watched non-original review, just translating.

Call of Duty: Advance Warfare, the game is terrible by all means and Titanfall was a much better game in every regard but I still get nostalgia playing it.

Even to this day, I still get sad when people relentlessly shit on Wolfenstein: Youngblood (and The New Colossus, for that matter).

I bet almost no on here has heard of this rare but majorly flawed PC gem:

Head Extreme Destruction Zone.

Imagine a game where you control one creature from a purple alien race that uses various heads to battle other aliens using other heads. You need to bash and collect the enemies heads to not only make it easier to take down later foes but any heads you collect carry over to the next arena (provided you select them). The game does come with ~ 255 different heads. Surprisingly, not many can be considered "copy and paste" since they offer slight differences in either ammo count, fire rate, damage, accuracy, etc...

All heads come under a few classifications:

Gunner - Machine guns

Spray - uses some form of a spray-based attack. short-ranged but high damage

Medical - Heals up the damage your other heads in your inventory took. (However these heads lose their own HP as consequence).

Laser - A long laser beam (I think later beams even bounced around corners)

High Jump - Normal jumps with these heads are higher. attacking with these heads also through you high into the sky.

Ariel - As far as I can tell only the final mission had these type of head. (Probably because they're OP AF).

Airstrike - Allows you to drop a bomb on an enemies head from far away. (Sadly one head in this category was infamous for breaking the game due to some weird coding error. Quite often the game just crashes).

There's other categories but I don't want to bore you to death. :3

Now why am I posting it here? Well, the game was known to crash A LOT. Not to mention, a few frame-rate issues do occur when things get hectic, and as I mentioned earlier, there's a head that seriously breaks the game.

Spoiler

21 hours ago, reflex17 said:

n00bs probably pick Mark, Laura and Chrissy first and get them killed off while trying to figure out the map LOL

Mark and Crissy are the only two characters worth a damn. Fuck Laura. Who cares if she fuckin dies?!

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mark and Crissy are the only two characters worth a damn. Fuck Laura. Who cares if she fuckin dies?!

Yeah Laura's kind of bad except for her running speed. I usually used her as like rescue backup if I could get her a good weapon.

16 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Yeah Laura's kind of bad except for her running speed. I usually used her as like rescue backup if I could get her a good weapon.

Laura dies way too damn fast

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Laura dies way too damn fast

Yeah, but I would place her in a higher tier than Debbie who is stronger but slower, better weapons make attack power of the characters less important. I find slower characters die more often so I try to get them centrally located and ring the lake ASAP so they can do nearby cabin missions if necessary.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:30 AM, seed said:

I seem to recall people hating F3 was because of how horrible it is from a technical standpoint. I remember reading stuff saying that it was almost impossible to complete due to save game corruption issues. A bad game in itself, however? That would be a new one.

Ahh yeah. If i recall you have to make separate save files or something to that extent and not just save over the previous one constantly (or you could up to a certain point?). Also i tended to save frequently as well because i read about that issue lol. I didn't have the GOTY edition though so i had to buy at least one of the expansions just so i could continue playing after the game finished which i didn't know at first. 

It's been a long time since i played it. I did play it on PC too, via Steam. Luckily i didn't have any save issues when i played it, probably since i played it later on (2012-ish) but i did have mouse issues that i did have to fix and i remember the game crashing quite a few times. Crashes are to be expected though in any Bethesda game imo lol.