Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bobstremglav

Which games are bad, but you like them?

I had to think back on this, just because I'm quite straight minded, as in, if I like something, of course its not bad. But yeah there's probably a handful I can name.

Breakdown - This was made by Namco for the Xbox. It was very experimental and highly innovative for its gameplay. Its story is a straight up ripoff from Terminator only with weird aliens. It did however do a vastly superior job to most games before it or since it in terms of immersive first person storytelling. Look, after playing this game, Half Life's one trick is gone, because it absolutely brutalises Half Life 1 and 2 for immersion, and whilst the story is nothing special its up to par. Now, it is sort of an FPS. The early segments do involve you using the traditional FPS arsenal of guns and explosives to fight the faceless army goons at the start. Its weird, it kind of uses an auto lock system and you're kind of meant to use it over traditional shooting. Think Metroid Prime only a lot more shoddy in the implementation. I don't think it was really awful but it isn't good for its guns. 

Then you fight the aliens. Oh... they have independance day shields that make them completely impervious to bullets. So you do the running away thing for a while (actually some very good segments there and also some really irritating ones), and then finally, you unlock some strange power, and find that your fists can do what the guns could not. Cue the first ever good first person melee game ever, shame you need to play about 30% into the game to even see what the whole selling point is. Dark messiah and Mirrors Edge proudly and directly descend from Breakdown. 

So thats the gist, I won't spoil more of the story or gameplay but I will talk about what problems it still has, in pretty short fashion.

Platforming

Filler BS Platforming.

Even more filler platforming.

A helicopter fight that can go to hell. 

Difficulty - look we're not talking Dark Souls here. Dark Souls is kids stuff compared to this. Most things, are kids stuff compared to this game. This game is more merciless than anything Civvie has played and I dare him to track down an Xbox and review this game because, well he really should. This game is a little jank and has a lot of bad filler later on and I could see why someone would not like it. However it really dares, and does things that very celebrated games that I kind of loathe *cough* Half Life *cough* do not, and its not obscenely boring like something like Half Life. It marries more complex gameplay into a very cinematic thrill ride of a campaign, it did it pretty amazingly at the time and I think that aspect of it would still hold up, and its really something of a cult classic in the purest sense. 

I'll finish with its memorable E3 presentation which I think does a lot to communicate the games uniqueness, and even though a lot of it looks prerendered it doesn't misrepresent whats there, although it does show some scenes that aren't first person (which are not in the finished product because it was 100% purely first person) 

13 hours ago, bobstremglav said:

Hey guys, I tried some Virtual Boy games on emulator :-)

First one was Teleroboxer, and I beat it twice already. As I know, there isn't any remastereds, remakes and etc. Why? The game is cool, including the fact that it was created in 1995.

But the second one is pretty bad - Innsmouth no Yakata. 

Poor level design and monsters variety is main disadvantages of game, but anyway it's pretty good. FPS with horror elements and 4 endings... But anyway much worse that Teleroboxer.

I remember playing a display model in Target when that thing first came out, and I was so excited. After 5 minutes of Mario Tennis my head hurt so badly that I couldn't continue. So I played the Genesis display with Vectorman. Had a lot more fun with that. I don't think my brain is compatible with VR displays, especially not with how the Virtualboy handled it. A bunch of red lines on a black background, and my eyes are an inch away from the display? Sign me up!

On 11/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, bobstremglav said:

Well, I can explain about my favourite games then.

Land of The Dead: Road to Fiddlers Green: unexplanable gore system, poor level/game design, and some pretty notable issues and bugs. But it feels pretty dynamic and even kinda horror.

Chex Quest 3: doom clone, with only 5 maps in each episode, but it's cartoon-styled and easy to beat (except 3rd episode), relaxing and etc.

Far Cry 2: pretty boring and slow-paced, and too brown, but I like this. Dunno exactly why, but maybe because of harder healing and smarter enemies (harder gameplay), and various variants of playing (stealth/Rambo; pass missions as they was gave/use path with friends)

Also I like various short indie games. Technically they good, but too short. Some of them:

OFF The Game

Bitsturbed

Death Cabin

8-bit Zombie Survival 3D

BAD VIBES

Shambles

chex quest is not bad far cry 2 is not bad

Chasm: The Rift

The Gladiators: Galactic Circus Games

Quantum Theory

Shellshock 2: Blood Trails

XCOM: Enforcer

The list goes on, lol.

STRAFE
Blood and Bacon
Driv3r
Thift 4

Daikatana, really i like more Daikatana vainilla (only with the fix of the crash) than most of the levels of RAGE.

Rise of the Triad 2013(I really want to know why the mixed reviews at the time of launch this game)

Bordelands the Pre-Sequel.

Silent Hill Downpour, but it's shows the lack of some time and vision with the game.

I absolutely refuse to say I like Crysis 2, but a highly adaptive controllable power suit, customizable weapons and power as well as physics objects are heaps of fun.

Too bad it's added to a BORING generic shit FPS that feels like a weird combo of Half Life 2 and CoD4 with neither the inspiration and intelligent level design of either.

4 hours ago, LUIS UAC MARINE said:

chex quest is not bad far cry 2 is not bad

way to resurrect a topic!

I like Battlefront 2. Not the online mode, but the game itself is fine.

58 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

I absolutely refuse to say I like Crysis 2, but a highly adaptive controllable power suit, customizable weapons and power as well as physics objects are heaps of fun.

Too bad it's added to a BORING generic shit FPS that feels like a weird combo of Half Life 2 and CoD4 with neither the inspiration and intelligent level design of either.

I love Crysis 2, especially the multiplayer. I don't care if it borrowed too much from CoD, you had nanosuits and could powerslide. The orbital laser killstreak was awesome.

This game has been an inside joke between me and my girlfriend for years now. What's not to love? It even has a Rob Schneider cameo!

I Spy Spooky Mansion for Nintendo Wii. I got it at a Big Lots for like five dollars and it's absolutely horrendous in every conceivable way and I love every minute of it. I played it with my roommate (it has co-op) and it was a fucking blast. 100% a "so bad it's good" game.

On a more serious note, Wolfenstein 3D seems to have been lost in Doom's shadow, but I can really enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. It's primitive and a downgrade in many ways to later shooters but there's just something about Wolf3D that scratches an itch no other shooter can.

Edit because I can't ever just say one thing: (Megami Ibunroku) Persona. It's clunky as hell and is really showing its age, but I enjoyed it a lot for what it was. It's just a shame there's no ideal way to play it in English (the original PSX version has one of the worst localizations of all time and the PSP version ruins the atmosphere with a new soundtrack and UI).

Edited by Pokemanic33

I really liked Threads of Fate/Dewprism, even though the combat was terrible, the inventory system was super basic, and the story was barely fleshed out at all.

TES: Skyrim - It gets bearable if you use mods (which is a testament about how bad the game is). The first playthrough experience is quite interesting before you realise the game is shallow, uninspiring and mostly devoid of any interesting or meaningful mechanics and choices. The only good thing this game has is the ammount of content, which unfortunately is inversely propotional to its quality, but it's good in faking a false sense of agency.

Fallout 4 - Same

Far Cry Primal - Very interesting concept, a shame AAA games are all about pretending to develop "new and interesting things" just enough so you can say you have "new and interesting things" whilst attracting people who want that "new and interesting thing" whilst playing safe by NOT DEVELOPING ENOUGH of that "new and interesting thing" resulting in a "new and interesting thing" that's shallow and underdeveloped. But it's cool, I remember that the northern side of the map is full of ice and snow and has some geysers that help you manage your temperature, I remember staying there a short period of time but it was fun, I think I stoped playing after going there. I imagine it would become tiresome if I were to spend more time there I guess.

I don't know if I should consider Darkest Dungeon a bad game, but here it is.

I know Chaser is a bad game but I do sort of like the dystopian sci-fi stuff and references to Total Recall, the music can be very good, however the end did disappoint me and I didn't like the underground Mars base missions, so I always end the game after finishing the last Mars surface mission and seeing the bar cutscene, I like to pretend that is the actual end.

Chaser has some awsome levels (the only really bad level I remember was the hotel). Many levels are relatively open and fairly non-linear, which is a rarity for 2003. Why call it bad? It's a solid game overall.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Surprised to see how often Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth has been mentioned in this thread. Without a doubt the best videogame adaptation of the Cthulhu mythos with an amazing early game but the entire package is ruined by bugs and mediocre shooting mechanics. I tried to power through the game because of my love for Lovecraft but I never managed to beat the final boss due to a bug, overall a 2/5 game that is fun for a while but has too many problems.

Shadow the Hedgehog had some cool ideas that were fucked up along the way. Action DOOM II is the unironically good version of it. Both games have tons of edge and there's multiple ways to end levels which affects the direction the story takes.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:01 PM, NuMetalManiak said:

Suikoden IV

Well you don't need a good game when you have a perfect concept surrounding it (yes they tried to kill many of the staple concepts as well, but whatever, the Soul Eater is the Soul Eater, so i like it as well)

13 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

the jankiness just adds to it :-P

Recently noticed the terms "jank" and "janky" quite often. Could somebody explain what they mean exactly?

• Legend of the Seven Paladins 3D. Given that I'm a sucker for East Asian culture, that should come off as no surprise.
  • Serious Sam II. Well, not really bad actually (Croteam does disacknowledge it from the Serious Sam canon and is said to plan on making a remake of it with more seriousness), just that its sense of humor isn't everybody's favorite.
  • Redneck Rampage (and Rides Again). This one is much less-than-stellar compared to SS2, but the concept isn't all too shabby (rural people fighting alien invasion).
33 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Recently noticed the terms "jank" and "janky" quite often. Could somebody explain what they mean exactly?

From Wordnik:

adjective (slang) of poor quality, odd

adjective (jargon, computing, rareUnresponsive (of a software application’s user interface), sluggish.

9 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Trespasser

Yeah, that one had that unreal feel, when you are alone in unknown territory, trying to survive and get back home. You had only two hands to hold weapons or cards and hearth tattoo to protect you.

17 minutes ago, Sokoro said:

Yeah, that one had that unreal feel, when you are alone in unknown territory, trying to survive and get back home. You had only two hands to hold weapons or cards and hearth tattoo to protect you.

And boobs. You literally had to stare at a giant set of knockers every time you wanted to check your health.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:24 AM, Tetzlaff said:

Its similar to the word ''clunky''. As in there are some unusual mechanics that do work, but can also work in mysterious (and often hilarious) ways.

Example: Try to pee in the water and see how the water reacts to that.

Postal 2 is a good example of that since it tried to give the player a living world with NPC's doing their own thing. Despite its controversial nature, Postal 2 had rather innovative mechanics.

21 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

basically every game made with FPS Creator, except the really well made ones

FPS Creator and its many content packs are now freely available. With a graphics mod, you can actually get some good visuals out of them, too. Github is here.

19 hours ago, Sokoro said:

Trespasser came out in the same year as Unreal. It promised a ton of things:

• Bumpmapping
  • Soft shadows
  • A huge island
  • Realistic AI
  • A physics system years before HL2
  • Real time sound foley: Intermixing two sounds to create new ones (This is actually still very unique to this day)

Way too ambitious for 1998 hardware, but some good (standalone) mods were made with the Trespasser Engine. It definitely visually can hold up.

13 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

FPS Creator and its many content packs are now freely available. With a graphics mod, you can actually get some good visuals out of them, too. Github is here.

i know that, already working on like, 3 game projects using FPSC 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:31 AM, GuyMcBrofist said:

I love Crysis 2, especially the multiplayer. I don't care if it borrowed too much from CoD, you had nanosuits and could powerslide. The orbital laser killstreak was awesome.

In MP, the problems would be less severe. But in singleplayer, it's just such a dumb stupid downgrade compared to the huge sprawling sandboxy maps of Crysis 1.

I expected Spiderman with a Gun, jumping from roof to roof, like some kind of skyscraper-based Vietcong fighter, instead I got skyscraper arenas and boring long NY street arenas.

If it's a game that I consider bad but I still enjoy then Sonic R. The soundtrack made me love this game despite the frustrating controls/physics.

If it's games that are generally considered bad by other people but I like, then:

Duke Nukem Forever.

Sonic 3D Blast (especially the PC/Saturn version). I never got the hate for this one.

ROTT '13. I don't think this one is considered bad in general, more like mixed reception. I have a lot of fun with this one despite the occasional glitches. I do think the old one is better though.