Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

" R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame " error on a 1-frame object

Question

So I'm trying to edit the box of ammo item to have a new texture. The weird thing is, the game crashes and says I need to provide all of the frames, despite the fact that the box of ammo only has ONE frame (Ammo A 0). I have the correct frame provided and it's offsets shouldn't crash DooM (I even tried using the original object's exact frame offsets to no avail).

7 answers to this question

And you're sure it crashes on BULBA0, and not on SS_START?

I notice you have an S_END before that, and FZNFB0 matches the pattern of a sprite name. Are you having two different sprite namespaces in the same wad, one after the other? If so, it's probably the explanation, as I can see that confusing the merge algorithm. Try deleting those S_END and SS_START lumps that are between FZNFB0 and BULBA0 ; I suppose you have another SS_START lump even before.

7 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

No idea what "lump listing" is. :l

The list of lumps. A screenshot of your wad opened in SLADE could have done the trick if there aren't too many lumps.

I figure the problem isn't the ammo box lump itself, it's vanilla's inability to have separate sprite namespaces. So, as andrewj said, use -merge.

You can’t have any more sprites after an S_END lump. In terms of sprites, vanilla ignores everything that comes after S_END. If you’re using custom sprites in a vanilla wad, it’s good form to have SS_START as your first lump, then all your sprites, then S_END. It looks like you have two S_END lumps which will also confuse the vanilla engine iirc.