Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunrock

Simple high resolution texture placements question.

I have all my high resolution textures placed in the "Hires" directory and the normal low resolution textures placed in "patches" directory within the PK3. My problem is that it made the whole mod balloon up to 125mb due to having so many hires textures to replace there low res equivalents. This may sound dumb, but is this the only method in order for high res textures to work properly?

Thanks.

Are there duplicates or large areas of redundancy among the hires textures? If not there's obviously nothing to save.

Aside from that, you can use the TEXTURES lump to compose hires textures out of patches, just like for low-res textures. If you do that you can even omit the low-res versions entirely.

Another way to save space is to store the hires textures as JPG instead of PNG, provided that the quality does not suffer from  the lossy compression

Thanks Graf for the reply.

Well, there is nothing really I can do because I have a lot (around 200+) of textures all in TGA format.

8 hours ago, Gunrock said:

Thanks Graf for the reply.

Well, there is nothing really I can do because I have a lot (around 200+) of textures all in TGA format.

TGA can be uncompressed. If you convert them to PNG they will occupy less storage without loosing quality. Also TGA images can also be compressed & uncrompressed.

Edited by jval

Putting uncompressed TGA in a Zip yields about the same as converting them to PNG. And I do not think that any Doom port supports compressed TGA aside from simple RLE compression.

In this case my JPG recommendation still stands. If you use a tool like ImageMagick to batch convert them (with a quality setting of 90 is recommended) and then check which ones are ok and which ones are not, you can only pick the good ones and save a lot on them. Even at high quality settings aJPG is still about 80-90% smaller than a lossless image.