Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Abcess

WAD -- Weird Abcessed Dooming

Category I, died on MAP04 with 214 of 278 abscesses healed at 1:08:00.

Another one, third chilling month in a row. This death was completely unnecessary, I'm only glad I took Arch-Fvcker with me.

I may upload a prepared survival later if'll find out some time and passion.

dwiabcss.zip

@galileo31dos01 raises an interesting point. Splatterhouse, Map03 of Abcess is, in fact, the same as Map06 in Realm of Chaos. Here's a recap of how that happened.

Realm of Chaos v1.0 was released to idgames by The Macintosh Team on Halloween night, 1996 -- not 1999, as many think owing to the date on the text file. The 1999 date is for v1.4, so that was an unfortunate miscue on our part, and has somewhat prejudiced reactions to the mapset. Originally, Map06 of RoC was done by 13-year old genius Slava Pestov, who went on to fame by creating the Factor programming language.

After RoC's release, I went to work on other projects, including Abcess. I was therefore surprised when Rob Berkowitz contacted me in April, 1997 and said he needed a new map because the idgames folks decided Slava's Map06 was too similar to Military Base from KDitD. At that point I had either finished or was well advanced on Map04, Disraeli, and Map06, Mordecai, both of which were harder, so I decided to give Splatterhouse to the project, even though it was unfinished and was only tested by me. So it joined RoC in 1997. I then lost steam on Abcess and released both Disraeli and Mordecai to Mac-oriented forums in '97, and finally uploaded them to idgames and Aminet in 1999, where they still reside, if anyone wants to check the original versions.

All three of the previously released maps have been altered, with more detail and some gameplay tweaks, especially Map06. I eliminated the blue key leg in Splatterhouse in an effort to make its pathing less obtuse and speed up the gameplay. I also added Dat Trap because it was too damned wimpy. ;)

IMO, anyone who played the earlier versions should still get a Cat 1 credit if they haven't played the others, but natch, that's up to The Boss. 

Edited by Steve D : Error correction

Category 1. Died on map06 to a really far away chaingunner. Very good mapset but I don't think I'll touch it with a 10ft pole for a few months... Way too stressful

I had to take a second in map05 to take a screenshot of a really cool room!

Played with Crispy Doom

dwironman-juza.zip

There's more entries so far this month than there was the whole last month, that's a scary thought.

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

There's more entries so far this month than there was the whole last month, that's a scary thought.

And too much survivors. You guys need to do something before this league turns to "DWIronman League survives the..." lol.

On 11/16/2019 at 3:00 AM, seed said:

Interesting, seems this month I'm competing for the last spot. I'm okay with that :p .

I'll see you at the bottom. I'll bring beer.

4 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Me too! When I get time (which won’t be for a while yet) I plan to take a look at one of the surviving demos for map 02. Because I did so badly at that map, I knew within 30 secs that’s where I would die

3 minutes ago, Horus said:

Me too! When I get time (which won’t be for a while yet) I plan to take a look at one of the surviving demos for map 02. Because I did so badly at that map, I knew within 30 secs that’s where I would die

Lol the battle for last begins! I should've kept track of how many kills I had, but if I remember correctly it was most of them. I died when I went back looking for secrets and missed areas xD

Just a reminder that you can check your rank this month here until Alfonzo updates the leaderboard.

Decided to give this a try earlier this week after some time off... Attached is my very casual and leisurely-paced survival in 1:39:54.

It's a category 2 demo as I've played through Abcess and its beta versions a few times so I was familiar with the maps; some I remembered very well (01 & 02 especially) and some less so (04). Best part is when I lose all brain function in the very last stages of map04 yet somehow, and frankly pretty undeservedly, survive despite unimaginable stupidity and extremely low health (might have even dropped to 1% for a very brief moment!) so I can definitely recommend watching the part around 50-55 mins. Also sorry for skipping through the map06 intermission screen so quick, I thought there was one more to go.

DWIronman_Abcess_Veinen.zip

Category 1 (blind)

Died at map 3 trying to rush the radiation suit section because I don't know how long they last, after I got away from a chaingunner ambush with literally 1% health.

It's the first time I used PrBoom and there was this strange issue of the game not registering slight movements to left and right which made aiming a bit annoying. I guess it comes with recording demos? Rising mouse sensitivity helped a bit, at least.

dwironman-leszczynek-abcess.zip

40 minutes ago, Leszczynek said:

It's the first time I used PrBoom and there was this strange issue of the game not registering slight movements to left and right which made aiming a bit annoying. I guess it comes with recording demos? Rising mouse sensitivity helped a bit, at least.

Yup, limitation of the engine. To circumvent that, for vanilla/limit-removing wads you can use the -longtics parameter, which forces the more accurate mouse behavior used during regular play, but it doesn't work with Boom/MBF wads.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, Veinen said:

Best part is when I lose all brain function in the very last stages of map04 yet somehow, and frankly pretty undeservedly, survive despite unimaginable stupidity and extremely low health (might have even dropped to 1% for a very brief moment!) so I can definitely recommend watching the part around 50-55 mins.

Oh my god... what a MOMENT! I had to go watch this after that description, and I'm so very glad I did. I cannot believe you survived that. Those have got to be the most clutch stimpacks I may have ever seen in my life, followed up by the most clutch Revenant saving your ass from a Chaingunner (though in retrospect, your rocket may have killed that Chaingunner anyways, it's impossible to know for sure)! Absolutely bonkers. I recorded it... do you mind if I upload the clip on youtube and post it?

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

7 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Oh my god... what a MOMENT! I had to go watch this after that description, and I'm so very glad I did. I cannot believe you survived that. Those have got to be the most clutch stimpacks I may have ever seen in my life, followed up by the most clutch Revenant saving your ass from a Chaingunner (though in retrospect, your rocket may have killed that Chaingunner anyways, it's impossible to know for sure)! Absolutely bonkers. I recorded it... do you mind if I upload the clip on youtube and post it?

Hero Revenant taking one for team there for sure. Also don't mind at all, be my guest!

I'm just so flabbergasted by this. You were at 1 HP. You picked up a Stimpack. But you were hit for 3 damage so IMMEDIATELY following the Stimpack that it doesn't even show you going to 11% then down to 8%... just, 1% --> 8%.

I'm done. I don't even know. Buy a lottery ticket.

@Veinen @RonnieJamesDiner

Fine job, fellas! I have Veinen's run coming up soon on my viewing list, so it's nice to see a preview of this exceptional moment. I've seen some quality deaths and quality survivals in other runs, but this is the closest call yet. And getting dropped from 15 to 3 by an Imp fireball after you built yourself back up was Close Call #2. Well done!

Slick job on the edit, Ronnie. How do you get LMP video into an editor? It looked great. I really enjoyed the slo-mo ending with the crowd noise. Fun stuff!

FYI, this is the area where I died on both of my practice runs. Keyboarding on PrBoom 2.5.1.7um is like dancing with a dead horse tied to your leg compared to GZDoom. I'm going to try doing my real run on Friday or Saturday.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

How do you get LMP video into an editor?

I just turned on the Nvidia GeForce recording thing (ShadowPlay I think it's called?) while I ran the LMP in prboom. Basically recorded the recording.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:47 PM, Leszczynek said:

Category 1 (blind)

Died at map 3 trying to rush the radiation suit section because I don't know how long they last, after I got away from a chaingunner ambush with literally 1% health.

dwironman-leszczynek-abcess.zip

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Turning_resolution_is_lowered_when_recording_demos

Hey y'all, died in map04 in category 1 but cannot find my demo file. I ran from a shortcut with the correct target parameters and everything, does prboom+ store them somewhere other than the directory it's in? If not, that was pretty fun and I hope I can get a good cat1 showing next time!

Normally, I do my blind run within a few days of the selection being posted, with my prepared run coming a week or two later. This month has been busy, so I did my blind run yesterday morning and I just did my prepared run about an hour ago. It's not completely under the gun, but it's much closer than usual for me.

EDIT: @Steve D, I forgot to mention that I enjoyed these maps. I thought the monster placement was really good. There was abundant ammo, but not enough that you can be reckless. There is also enough health that you won't be limping around in the single digits from one far-flung stimpack to the next. The ambushes are appropriately dangerous, but not unfair. The texturing is good, too.

Category 1

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 69/148

Time: 9:00

I didn't see those specters. (Heh.) Anyway, I love the RNG nature of damage sometimes.

Category 3

Dead on Map 02

Kills: 116/187

Time: 39:38

Things were going pretty well. I thought I had a good shot at making it close to the end of Map 02 or even through it. Then I got ambushed by a chaingunner at point blank range. Sometimes, they can't hit the broad side of a barn. Sometimes, they're lethal. This time, after our meeting, my corpse made swiss cheese look solid.

dwi_pegleg_abcess.zip

Edited by Pegleg : Description.

On 11/16/2019 at 5:00 AM, seed said:

Interesting, seems this month I'm competing for the last spot. I'm okay with that :p .

On 11/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

On 11/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Horus said:

On 11/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Lol the battle for last begins! I should've kept track of how many kills I had, but if I remember correctly it was most of them. I died when I went back looking for secrets and missed areas xD

You have to wake up really early to challenge me for last place! And after you wake up early, you'll need to stay up late, and probably get drunk, too, just for good measure.

At one time, I was considering trying to get a group of people together to have a version of the Brit Bowl or Keyboard Cup, but for the people typically at the bottom of the rankings.

Out of 9 completed selections thus far this year, I've come in last place 8 times (and next-to-last the 1 other time). So far, this month looks to be continuing the trend. Based on Naza's spreadsheet, out of the 7 months I participated last year, I was last place twice and next-to-last once. The other four months, I finished 33rd out of 37, 32nd out of 36, 24th out of 33, and 28th out of 33 (and those were all prepared runs with practice). So, if you include this month, I have finished last or next to last 12 of 17 months.

When it comes to DWIL, I'm the bottom-of-the ranking version of Bloodite Krypto (obviously without the cheating) and Demon of the Well, before him.

I know how that feels fam, after all, I too end up at the bottom of the list usually when competing. Let's not forget I've been participating for almost 2 years and I think there's only one or two challenges I survived, in most if not all the other cases I did very, very poorly :p.

@Pegleg 

You are the true hero of the DWIronman League. We mere mortals did not deserve a savior like you. You are the one whose feats can at best only be rivaled but never be broken. As Alfonzo said, "Songs will be written about your Ironman endeavors for generations to come".

Those other participants should think atleast twice before daring to rival you.

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Out of 9 completed selections thus far this year, I've come in last place 8 times (and next-to-last the 1 other time). So far, this month looks to be continuing the trend. Based on Naza's spreadsheet, out of the 7 months I participated last year, I was last place twice and next-to-last once. The other four months, I finished 33rd out of 37, 32nd out of 36, 24th out of 33, and 28th out of 33 (and those were all prepared runs with practice). So, if you include this month, I have finished last or next to last 12 of 17 months.

Just out of curiosity… you playing keyboard only? 

@ReaperAA

I can only hope to inspire others with those songs. The good thing about those songs is that they, as Alfonzo also said, would "have to be short ... to match the length of [my] demos."

@RonnieJamesDiner

No, I use a mouse. I used to play keyboard only way back in the mid-90's, but I started using a mouse (no freelook, though) when I returned to playing a few years ago. No, this performance is just raw, unbridled talent.

Y'all thought that I was dead?

Well.............I died. Category 1, found my demise in map 03 with 39 monsters killed and 28m 18s spent ingame. Quite a poor performance this month and don't have anything to say to be honest. Guess that doing a run after a tiring day of work is definitely not ideal. Gonna do ironeagle tomorrow.

Anyway, here's the demo: dwim_abcsLD85.zip

Time to go to hermit mode again.