Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xelanul

Knitting Doom

I want to use Doom's binary code to create a knitting pattern. I was hoping I could find it all written out already without having to run it through a translator. 

Does anyone have it or know where I can get it?

Thanks!

On 11/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, Linguica said:

You'll need to be a little more specific about what this entails / what precisely you are looking for.

Fair enough!

I need the literal base code, the 1s and 0s. This way, I could use the knit stitch for all of the 1s and the purl stitch for the 0s. 

Does that help?

I have no idea where this is going but I'm curious to find out :) Are you interested in the binary of the EXE, the IWAD or something else?

Here's a rendering of the EXE for Ultimate Doom v1.9. Note that it's a 6.9MB file already - the same rendering for the accompanying WAD is a 106MB text file. You might want to plan to knit a scarf for a giraffe, or something :)

http://teamouse.net/games/doom/doomexebytes.txt

This is my attempt at a translator, for anyone who wants to check my coding:

<?php
$filename = "e:\\games\\retro\\doom\\ultimate\\doom.exe";
$handle = fopen($filename, "r");

for ($i = 0; $i < filesize($filename); $i++) {
	$byte = fread($handle, 1);
	$int = ord($byte);
	echo(substr("00000000" . decbin($int), -8) . " ");
}

fclose($handle);
?>

Edited by DavidN

Doom is a bit large. I'd rather just knit regular Doom art, if I knitted.

Maybe overlay some of the C source code instead? Pick a random part and knit it like it was written on top of the cover art or something like that.

8 hours ago, DavidN said:

Here's a rendering of the EXE for Ultimate Doom v1.9. Note that it's a 6.9MB file already - the same rendering for the accompanying WAD is a 106MB text file. You might want to plan to knit a scarf for a giraffe, or something :)

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

I searched everything I could think of but couldn't find this. Clearly, I wasn't using the right search terms. 

Long scarves are kinda my thing (I'm working on a Doctor Who scarf, 18th season), so I'm really looking forward to this challenge!

9 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Doom is a bit large. I'd rather just knit regular Doom art, if I knitted.

Maybe overlay some of the C source code instead? Pick a random part and knit it like it was written on top of the cover art or something like that.

That sounds like a cool design! You should do that and post pics.

I won't really have time to design a pattern like that myself since I'm going to be working on knitting the entire, if a bit large, executable file. 

It's a huge executable. I can't even scroll to the bottom of that page! Do you really think you can knit all that up? I deem it a nearly impossible challenge.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:42 AM, DavidN said:

I have no idea where this is going but I'm curious to find out :) Are you interested in the binary of the EXE, the IWAD or something else?

This is my attempt at a translator, for anyone who wants to check my coding:

<?php
$filename = "e:\\games\\retro\\doom\\ultimate\\doom.exe";
$handle = fopen($filename, "r");

for ($i = 0; $i < filesize($filename); $i++) {
	$byte = fread($handle, 1);
	$int = ord($byte);
	echo(substr("00000000" . decbin($int), -8) . " ");
}

fclose($handle);
?>

i almost crashed the browser

will putting this in a coding software give me a game lol

A thousand years from now this knitted pattern will be discovered in a bunker somewhere, and people will wonder what it means.  Some genius will figure out that it is computer code, and figure out how to run it.  Then the demons will start appearing and it will be Hell on Earth once more!  Oh what a bitter twist of fate for humanity.....

If y'all want to follow along on this ridiculous project, I started a tumblr blog to track it all.

knittingdoom.tumblr.com

I want thank all of y'all again for your help, particularly DavidN. 

This is remarkable. To be honest I thought when I put that tidal wave of 1s and 0s up you would surely turn away at the sheer impossibility of the project... and here you are forging ahead, doing it anyway. I rather regret doing the 7MB Ultimate Doom EXE instead of the compressed installer like you’d originally planned... but I see you are determined and can only wish you the best of luck!