Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

After 14 Years of WAD Editing Experience, I've Finally Released My Maps

Welcome to DooMWorld! Releasing maps, no matter how bad (within reason), is a good idea on how one can improve on map design. I know these maps are older maps of yours so I'll try to go easy on them a little (if I can) however I'm just going to review them as if they're fresh:

1 - THE REASON:

A very rough start. Bad level design, easy to get snagged on level geometry, so many enemies that I feel like I'm replaying GO2IT and so little in the way of health or armour in the map taking ANY damage is suicide. Though to be fair this IS a rather old wad, plus the broken door texture whilst a little cartoony looking was a nice touch! The shotgun sound was nice though the constant roar of enemies really got to my ears after a while...

3/10

2 - ENVIROMENTAL:

A remarkable improvement. For one, this map is actually FUN to play. The pain sounds being identical for every enemy is rather silly but can be overlooked (if a little annoying). I love the idea of going through different sectors each with a theme like an arctic sector or a fire sector. If more sectors were added and it was fleshed out more this one would be good! Than again the early portions of the map suffer from severe balancing issues.

Overall far better than the first map but still somewhat flawed. 6/10

3 - SIZZLE:

Talk about a slow map. Nearly 3000 enemies, far too little health and almost no cover most of the time. This, ladies and gentleman, is how you should NEVER make a slaughtermap! However, it wouldn't be a fair review if I didn't at least mention the positives. For one, some of the architectural design here is impressive. The spaceship in the beginning looks fantastic! It seriously shows what can be done design-wise in the DooM engine without needing 3D models. The cyberdemon room has some spiky-looking protrusions. Could work with a castle theme A-LA unreal or Quake.

Overall though, taking a step back and even considering the good sides I can't faithfully give this map a high rating... sorry :l  2/10

4 - DRACULA:

Erm... Well this ended abruptly! I accidentally found the exit to the map. That's a first. XD Honestly with each map in this list you can seriously tell more and more love is being poured into these. My only major complaint here again like the other maps is the tight resources. If you're a fan of tough action where every shot counts, PLAY THIS. Otherwise, maybe give it a glance and then move on. It wont hurt. :)

5/10

5 - SPASM:

And finally is this little gemstone. What a beauty! Sure this map does suffer from some balancing issues but WOW is this amazing! Tight gameplay, fair challenges (though one of the TP traps landed me near dead due to a former sergeant being a cheeky c***...). Honestly the fact this took you only a day to make is impressive. I HIGHLY recommend this one!

9/10

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I'm so glad to see that you played them all and gave them a great analysis. I've always been one for strict challenge and resource management so that's why ammo isn't alwaystoo abundant. . I'm actually surprised at how much you liked Spasm. Thank you very much man appreciate it.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

4 - DRACULA:

Erm... Well this ended abruptly! I accidentally found the exit to the map.

BTW how did you do that? IDKFA?

These screenshots look really cool so I decided to give your 2005 and 2007 wads a spin. They have many hallmarks of a mapper (with talent)'s first creations. Pretty good sense of progression, reasonably well balanced (I personally always had ammo), but some flaws like 64-wide hallways, flood-filling rooms with enemies and such. For some reason, the areas with the snow scrolling sideways reminded me of minecraft, even though these maps predate it significantly. Not a complaint, just an observation.

The sound effects for guns and such were fine, mostly anyway, but the longer sound effects were pretty annoying. Some were very loud compared to others as well.

I definitely enjoyed these first two, and there was come clear attention to detail. Use of custom textures and graphics/modified sprites always counts for extra credit in my book as long as they look okay, which they did. There was a moment in Environmental where I had 19 health and found a secret berserk kit, only to hear "I needed that!". Little moments like that really add to the experience, at least for me. Finally, the use of MP3 music dates these accurately right smack-dab in the middle of the 2000's. It was so novel not having to use MIDI music at the time!

I'll give your more recent stuff a spin soon. Your early maps were fun despite some of those classic "kinda new to mapping" types of errors - and having played true shovelware by newbie mappers many times, this is a diamond in the rough, as far as first releases go.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

These screenshots look really cool so I decided to give your 2005 and 2007 wads a spin. They have many hallmarks of a mapper (with talent)'s first creations. Pretty good sense of progression, reasonably well balanced (I personally always had ammo), but some flaws like 64-wide hallways, flood-filling rooms with enemies and such. For some reason, the areas with the snow scrolling sideways reminded me of minecraft, even though these maps predate it significantly. Not a complaint, just an observation.

The sound effects for guns and such were fine, mostly anyway, but the longer sound effects were pretty annoying. Some were very loud compared to others as well.

I definitely enjoyed these first two, and there was come clear attention to detail. Use of custom textures and graphics/modified sprites always counts for extra credit in my book as long as they look okay, which they did. There was a moment in Environmental where I had 19 health and found a secret berserk kit, only to hear "I needed that!". Little moments like that really add to the experience, at least for me. Finally, the use of MP3 music dates these accurately right smack-dab in the middle of the 2000's. It was so novel not having to use MIDI music at the time!

I'll give your more recent stuff a spin soon. Your early maps were fun despite some of those classic "kinda new to mapping" types of errors - and having played true shovelware by newbie mappers many times, this is a diamond in the rough, as far as first releases go.

Thank you sooo much man, it means alot. I'm so happy you liked my earlier WADs. I never thought they would ever see the light of day again. I can't wait to hear what you think of my other stuff in the future. :)

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Ooops I forgot a map:

THE CRATER:

Wow is this one amazing! I'd actually put it above spasm.wad . Not only does this contain some amazing gameplay, it's balanced super well. My only complaint is the area with the caged revenants and the long, red, staircase DOES need more health items. Battling a small armada of imps is a little bit annoying when you're only at 40% hp. Sure there was a berserk pack beforehand but since you fight a bunch of pinky's it's easy to get bitten.

Besides that though, the design and attention to detail here is fantastic! The boss at the end was easy to circle straife and whale on (Maybe a little too easy?).

Not many times I can say this... 10/10

wow 10/10 that's awesome thank you so much. I was pretty sure the death pit room would turn everyone off.

And idk if anyone has noticed, but I don't like putting in BFGs. I always thought it crippled the game challenge.