Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

Civvie11 Pro-ish Doom 64

Youtube's Civvie 11 has done one of his pro series vids on DOOM 64 , if you're unfamiliar with him I highly recommend you check him out , He's very entertaining and knowledgable of old school FPS games.

He's done DOOM , DOOM II , Thy Flesh Consumed and Plutonia vids also.

Can't wait until he does Half-life (and obviously the best game quake 2)

Good to see he loves Doom 64 as well. A video about it was inevitable, yes,but I'm just glad he's a fan of the game itself :p.

Good stuff as usual, though he missed a few minor things:

- He mentioned the sound effects being from PSX Doom, but missed pointing out some graphics, such as the iconic fire sky are also from that game when he got to those maps.

- He didn't bring up the fact that The Unmaker was also mentioned in the Doom Bible (wasn't aware of it maybe?) and the gun in D64 is likely a recreation of it.

I wonder if he's going to do a video on PSX Doom now (and other Doom ports, but I doubt he's going to cover others since they aren't as notable).

I really want him to get into some of the big megawads. A "Pro Scythe" or "Pro BTSX" would be awesome.

1 hour ago, seed said:

- He didn't bring up the fact that The Unmaker was also mentioned in the Doom Bible (wasn't aware of it maybe?) and the gun in D64 is likely a recreation of it.

It's not.

In fact, calling it the Unmaker is a fan nickname thing. It's not given an actual name in the game, the pickup message is "what the fuck is this?" not "picked up the unmaker, oh yeah!", and the manual doesn't talk about it. Its internal name is likely just "laser gun", as evidenced by HUD sprites being LASR and pickup sprite being LSGR.

The Doom Bible was released to the public for Doom's fifth anniversary. That was in December 1998, for those following at home. Doom 64 was first released in March 1997. More than a full year before. Doom 64 was developed by Midway, not by id Software. The Doom Bible had been abandoned quite early during development of the original Doom game, it had been abandoned before it was even fully written. Why would id Software give the Doom Bible to Midway? It was completely obsolete, the Doom canon had gone into a very different direction. So why would Midway recreate a weapon they hadn't heard about from a document they hadn't been given that had been abandoned?

There's another fan nickname that's pervasive when talking about Doom 64 things, and it's the Mother Demon herself. She's not named in the game. Internally she's just the Resurrector. The story alludes to her as "a single entity with vast rejuvenation powers". And there's this promo poster, found by @Revenant100, that apparently refers to her as an "Arch-Vial". Yes, "vial", not "vile".

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2008977

4 hours ago, Gez said:

why would Midway recreate a weapon they hadn't heard about from a document they hadn't been given that had been abandoned?

ALIENS

11 hours ago, Gez said:

There's another fan nickname that's pervasive when talking about Doom 64 things, and it's the Mother Demon herself. She's not named in the game. Internally she's just the Resurrector. The story alludes to her as "a single entity with vast rejuvenation powers". And there's this promo poster, found by @Revenant100, that apparently refers to her as an "Arch-Vial". Yes, "vial", not "vile".

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2008977

The name "Mother Demon" is much easier to trace. The first sentence of the ending text is "Finally... The mother of all demons is dead!"

But it's only after seeing your post that I considered it may just be an expression, like how "the mother of all explosions" tends to mean a really big one.

That was some interesting piece of info, but I was thinking that maybe Midway, being in contact with id at the time, knew more things about Doom before the yet-to-be-published Doom Bible. Also, the description of the Unmaker in the DB fits the weapon presented in the game. I don't think considering D64's new toy the Unmaker is too far fetched.

39 minutes ago, seed said:

Also, the description of the Unmaker in the DB fits the weapon presented in the game.

I don't agree on this.

Unmaker (white). Demon-tech weapon that hurts pure demons a lot, demon-humans very little, tech demons some. Made of demon bones.

[...]

Killed humans. The Darkclaw and Unmaker feed on human souls. Killing possessed humans or hellslaves allows the weapons to feed. 

The demon laser kills zombies just fine, and is perfectly effective on the cyberdemon, mancubi and arachnotrons. It's using cells, not "souls" dropped by zombies. And while I guess the metal frame supporting the cannon tube can be interpreted as sort of like a black ribcage from the HUD view, the pickup sprite doesn't fit such an interpretation.

The only thing that really matches is that it's a demon-tech weapon. I'm sure we can allow for the Midway team independently coming up with that idea.

Yes, the visual design and the demon-tech part was what I was referring to primarily, once again I didn't make myself clear enough, damn. Be that as it may then.

As about the Mother Demon, that's far less debatable from my POV, because even the final intermission screen explicitly refers to her as "mother of all demons". And given the writing style and serious (if perhaps "edgy" at times) tone of the intermission screens in the game, I'm not inclined to see that as an expression to describe her power or greatness ("mother of...")

I'll alllow "mother demon" as a kinda-canonical name because the Doom 1 "Spiderdemon" got retconned into "Spider Mastermind" in Doom II thanks to the end text of Doom 1 that said "The loathsome Spiderdemon that masterminded the invasion of the moon bases"...

I've missed quite a few of his vid's lately but i'll catch up. He's pretty popular now so i think a lot of people know of him, which is a good thing imo.

Also i know this isn't Doom related but about 2 weeks ago he did a co-stream with MikeJ of RWS of Postal 4. It's on the RWS channel. 

Regarding the correct names for the new weapon and new final boss in Doom 64, I've gone straight to the only source I know that can undeniably answer these questions in an official capacity: Prima's Doom 64: Official Game Secrets guide.

3LH1Xg5.jpg

m2Jxoix.jpg

Ergo, the correct names we should use from now on are "Alien Laser"/"Alien Gun" and "Boss". Any other terminology used to refer to these entities are henceforth and have always been non-canon. We have a lot of sites, articles, and posts to retroactively fix.

Also, I do not have Bradygames' Authorized Guide to Doom 64, so I can't speak for what that particular guide says, but I naturally assume that "Authorized" is a step down from "Official".

"Alien Gun"?

Aw, what a disappointment... But it's odd the Mother Demon is referred to as just "the Boss".

Prima guides tend to have really shitty names for things which don't have any real official names.

It's sad that they are the only source of certain enemy names throughout the many games they have guides for.

On 11/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Egg Boy said:

I really want him to get into some of the big megawads. A "Pro Scythe" or "Pro BTSX" would be awesome.

He clearly does play some of them, which is awesome. I mean, his Clive Barker's Undying video opens with him playing Trailblazer on Alien Vendetta MAP06 (great choice!) 

I'm still waiting on Pro Rise of the Triad personally. That credits music man...

It makes me feel better that even Civvie thought that DOOM 64 was just a port of the original for a long time too. I thought the same thing for years and years.

5 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

It makes me feel better that even Civvie thought that DOOM 64 was just a port of the original for a long time too. I thought the same thing for years and years.

It's a pretty common misconception. I thought that for a long time too, until I ran into a let's play of D64 EX and realized "Wait what? This doesn't look like the original games at all. That can't be a port."

5 minutes ago, seed said:

It's a pretty common misconception. I thought that for a long time too, until I ran into a let's play of D64 EX and realized "Wait what? This doesn't look like the original games at all. That can't be a port."

I'll confess that I did'nt realise that it was a completly different game until DF Retro did that documentary on the various DOOM ports. I'm looking forward to March so I can play it properly. 

3 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

I'll confess that I did'nt realise that it was a completly different game until DF Retro did that documentary on the various DOOM ports. I'm looking forward to March so I can play it properly. 

Me too, can't wait for the re-release.

You could use GEC GZDoom in the meantime to play D64 though, if EX isn't viable, and if you want something more accurate than Retribution. Version 3 is reportedly coming soon too.

Spoiler

I'm totally not advertising GEC GZDoom at all. Not one little bit.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Me too, can't wait for the re-release.

You could use GEC GZDoom in the meantime to play D64 though, if EX isn't viable, and if you want something more accurate than Retribution. Version 3 is reportedly coming soon too.

Hide contents

I'm totally not advertising GEC GZDoom at all. Not one little bit.

Nice one dude , I'm not much of a PC gamer if at all really. I discovered DOOM on the PS1 in '97 and consoles have been where I've played ever since. I did try and play DOOM 64 on an actual N64 a while back but that bloody controller is just awful , I did start looking into other 64 controllers but then they announced the official re-release, so I'm gonna wait I reckon.

As for official names, @Gez's post is the most correct if we are looking for the real names. I assume DB64 pulls names from the DOOM64.WAD created from the ROM in some way. Kaiser would know if it does or not. Regardless, "Laser Gun" (or maybe Rifle?) and "Resurrector" is what the editor calls them and thus are the actual real internal names unless proven otherwise. 

However, I also would say that calling them "Unmaker" and "Mother Demon" just seems to fit in a casual sense, and most people will know what you're talking about, even if they are names given by fans.

Add me to the list of people who assumed it was an N64 Doom port when I first heard of the title. Then a couple years later I turned the cover at a game store, saw what I was missing and picked it up immediately. Been hooked and haven't turned back