Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warman2012

Looking to test maps from a casual perspective

What the tin says. I'm looking for single maps to test that are either designed for casual play or have an option built in for casual players. (more on that in a moment.)

Some caveats to consider:

1. The number 1 thing behind this is I'm testing from the perspective of a casual player. That is different from person to person on what that means, so a good rule of thumb is: do testers have to savescum every 2 to 3 minutes? If the answer is yes, then I don't want maps like that. Casual mode can be HMP or HNTR. (ITYTD for maps exclusively dedicated to UV level is not casual, it's laziness and I will never use that mode.)

2. No slaughter. Pretty self explanatory. My rule is if a map has over 200 monsters it's slaughter.

3. Please no freakishly huge maps that take an hour or longer to complete.

4. Looking for single maps for now. Megawad requests will be a separate thread.

I'll be uploading these probably to YouTube once I get an account set up.

2 hours ago, warman2012 said:

2. No slaughter. Pretty self explanatory. My rule is if a map has over 200 monsters it's slaughter. 

Or you know, it can just be a longer map. Sometimes maps with over a 1000 monsters don't include slaughter elements.

2 hours ago, warman2012 said:

What the tin says. I'm looking for single maps to test that are either designed for casual play or have an option built in for casual players. (more on that in a moment.)

Some caveats to consider:

1. The number 1 thing behind this is I'm testing from the perspective of a casual player. That is different from person to person on what that means, so a good rule of thumb is: do testers have to savescum every 2 to 3 minutes? If the answer is yes, then I don't want maps like that. Casual mode can be HMP or HNTR. (ITYTD for maps exclusively dedicated to UV level is not casual, it's laziness and I will never use that mode.)

3. Please no freakishly huge maps that take an hour or longer to complete.

4. Looking for single maps for now. Megawad requests will be a separate thread.

I'll be uploading these probably to YouTube once I get an account set up.

I have a very old one for you that I made way back in 1999 - called prison, you start in a cell and you must escape - anyone else are ofc also invited to try this map... You will not find it anywhere else.

old.rar

3 hours ago, CBM said:

I have a very old one for you that I made way back in 1999 - called prison, you start in a cell and you must escape - anyone else are ofc also invited to try this map... You will not find it anywhere else.

old.rar

I'll give it a go later tonight.

Ofc? What does that mean?

Since you've expressed your interest publicly, this is a bit redundant, but can you add your information to the following thread?

7 hours ago, warman2012 said:

unless it's just a block of 200 hell knights in a room or something, 200 isn't remotely close to slaughter...

1 hour ago, Tartlman said:

unless it's just a block of 200 hell knights in a room or something, 200 isn't remotely close to slaughter...

It is when u compare it to megawads like TNT revilution and Ancient Aliens (correct me if I am wrong on AA). I found that so far, those wads had a good of enough length and monster count and placement to be great. And they were under 200 for HMP and/or HNTR on average. Anything else seems either excessive or too long from my experience.

Edit: Some mappers may go over, but up to 250 is my utmost limit, and even then, only occasionally. Not a single monster more, period.

3 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Don't start with this guy. He will call your maps "savescum piles of shit". Also HMP must be perfectly easy for him.

Oh was it warman that created that thread complaining all modern output is ‘savescum piles of shit’

Also echo what others said - monster placement rather than count is a better barometer of slaughter. AV map 27 has over 800 monsters but is not a slaughtermap

I'll be streaming this wad called Prison later tonight. You can catch it tonight or watch the video later if anyone is interested.

9 hours ago, warman2012 said:

I'll be streaming this wad called Prison later tonight. You can catch it tonight or watch the video later if anyone is interested.

I am looking forward to it :)

Just hope you will go easy on it, since I made it back in the 90s on an old DOS based computer, when I was just a wee lad :)

on the other hand, I can use feedback to make a better version of it perhaps.. these days I mostly mod other stuff when it comes to doom though, since I wish to leave level design to those that have the skills and tools for it. Modern GZDoom levels can do so much more than what we could do back then.

21 hours ago, CBM said:

I am looking forward to it :)

Just hope you will go easy on it, since I made it back in the 90s on an old DOS based computer, when I was just a wee lad :)

on the other hand, I can use feedback to make a better version of it perhaps.. these days I mostly mod other stuff when it comes to doom though, since I wish to leave level design to those that have the skills and tools for it. Modern GZDoom levels can do so much more than what we could do back then.

I'm streaming this wad now.

3 hours ago, warman2012 said:

I'm streaming this wad now.

Cant find it what is your youtube username?

I streamed it on Twitch. I figured I'd store it there. However the stream got too long...so I had to delete it. I can however, stream it tomorrow if you are able to make it. I'm still trying to get a handle on how to do this testing, so please bear with me. Twitch name is warman2019.

I made a twitch account and found you but no video

If you manage to get it working then I Will be interested in seeing how Many of the secrets you find

Austinado found Much fewer Than I anticipated :)