Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidN

"David Develops Doom" tutorials

I've got up to three Doom editing tutorial videos on Youtube, which makes it a series! :) I just wanted to start posting them here as a thread as well.

EDITING BASICS - Downloading and setting up the programs you need to start editing for Doom, and walking through the creation of a small level.

HOW WADS WORK - Looking more into the structure of a WAD and how you affect the base game by loading a PWAD on top of it.

DEHACKED + STRINGS - Going into editing beyond WAD files, using Dehacked or the LANGUAGE lump to change the text in the game.

Okay, it's been a bit longer than I intended but here is the promised video in the above video... MAPINFO, how maps are linked together in Doom, and how to alter them! 

The Icon of Sin! A look at how the final boss of Doom 2 works, the interactions between the objects that make it, and some unexpected oddities and bugs.

I absolutely love these videos, David, and I'm not exaggerating when I say they are the reason I got back into Doom map making this year... the last time I tried was back in '96, but watching how quickly you throw down an idea and begin to iterate on it is extremely informative and entertaining.

Personally, I love the 'develops' series mostly. Your vids are the only ones on Doom mapping that include your thought processes as the map is evolving. The mapper's reasoning and internal conversations while creating something from scratch is something there is shockingly very little of out there... so please keep doing what you're doing.

I would personally benefit greatly from a develops video focusing on monster encounters and techniques for crafting great combat moments  that are challenging and memorable, but not impossible.

Thanks so much! I’ll put that idea down, and I’m glad to have brought you in to Doom again :)

Cool, I've watched one of these (two?)
But it's better to edit your OP and put all of the videos in a single spoiler, however, double posting is also useful for people who follow this thread (and have DW notifications turned on), so I recommend you to do both.

I want a full sprite set of the Spaster Midermind.