Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malurek

ACS Scripting Basics

Question

I am new to scripting, and Doom mapping in general, and I am using Doom Builder 2.  What I am looking for is am ACS script that changes door text to read, "You need <insert color card> to open this door.".  By default it says object, instead of door.

The second thing I need a script on is how to use multiple sector tags activate from one switch, (button, player walks over, shoots, or even a door opening)

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

22 hours ago, Malurek said:

I am new to scripting, and Doom mapping in general, and I am using Doom Builder 2.  What I am looking for is am ACS script that changes door text to read, "You need <insert color card> to open this door.".  By default it says object, instead of door.

Perhaps my example will help?

22 hours ago, Malurek said:

The second thing I need a script on is how to use multiple sector tags activate from one switch, (button, player walks over, shoots, or even a door opening)

So, you have multiple sectors, each one has a unique ID tag.

But what action are you trying to achieve?

edit:

To learn ACS, there are the ACS pages on the ZDoom WIKI and also the old, but still relevant, tutorial by Richard Clark.

The advantages of using ACS is that you can control, for example, what is to happen, how often and under what circumstances, plus under what conditions.

Edited by Kappes Buur

55 minutes ago, Malurek said:

What I am looking for is am ACS script that changes door text to read, "You need <insert color card> to open this door.".  By default it says object, instead of door.

The default is that it says "door" for local effects (if the sector tag is 0, so it affects the back sector) and "object" for anything else, including "remote" door (when it affects a sector tag).

57 minutes ago, Malurek said:

You put ACS_Execute on your switch, with a script number, and then you have your script running all the actions you want.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

19 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Perhaps my example will help?

So, you have multiple sectors, each one has a unique ID tag.

But what action are you trying to achieve?

edit:

To learn ACS, there are the ACS pages on the ZDoom WIKI and also the old, but still relevant, tutorial by Richard Clark.

The advantages of using ACS is that you can control, for example, what is to happen, how often and under what circumstances, plus under what conditions.

Your example link is not a link, it's only text.