Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malurek

SLADE3 Texture Editor

What is the exact step by step process of using the texture editor WITHOUT importing textures, or other pictures into the program?  

I made a texture through SLADE3's texture editor the other day just playihg around with the program, and do not remember exactly how I did it.  I converted to DOOM palette, but I think I did something with the PNG because the texture is now showing up as only PNG ALPHA in the convert menu, and I do not know how to change that, nor do I remember exactly how I created the texture.  It just kind of happened.  My archive is P_START and P_END, not PP, however, I do faintly remember doing something with the patch options on this texture too.  All of this just kind of happened.

Tutorials I have looked up using strictly SLADE3's editor show importing files, or something different, but there is a way to do it through SLADE3 itself without importing, and that is the tutorial that I need.

New textures are created in a graphics app, Paint, Paint.net, Gimp, etc. and then imported into Slade3.

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=wiki&wikipage=How-to-Import-Textures

Read at the very end about texture definitions.

edit:

Texture1 and PNAMES are a must for original Doom/Boom format.

For ZDoom family maps (DiHF or UDMF) you would simply stick the texture between TX_START/TX_END markers, plus you could use the texture on both, the wall or floor/ceiling, plus the image can be a left as png.

Edited by Kappes Buur

1 hour ago, Malurek said:

showing up as only PNG ALPHA in the convert menu

the convert menu is for what you want to convert to, not what format it is.

I don't mean fancy images, and textures.  What I started with in texture editor, was "create new texture", which it creates a black outline with nothing filled in.  Somehow, after playing around with things, I was able to get the center to fill in with the color I wanted, and then converted it to Doom.  For whatever reason, (maybe I apparently did the PNG ALPHA conversion, and the converted to DOOM), however, I did not do this in another program like paint.  I did this in SLADE3.

I didn't do anything with the P_NAMES or PP_START/END archive, or patches, I made a normal archive folder

There's also the issue with renaming the textures.  I can rename them anywhere except the .txt marker.  When I rename it there, as soon as I click away from it, it reverts back to the original saved name.  The save icon is not highlighted either when I do this.

Are you by any chance trying to edit textures in DOOM2.wad?

Any good editor will prevent you from changing those lumps.

You should only change original textures in a pwad, by importing the texture as a patch between P_ markers but naming it the same as the original patch. Then the highlight the patch/es and register with TEXTURE1 and PNAMES. Although, at that point, you might as well make those textures as totally new patches with your own naming.

From the Tutorials page read 

• [Vanilla Level Editing] Lesson 1: Preliminary Reconnaissance and everything in that series
  • from Editing Tutorials Links EEVEE's tutorials

And/or scan every topic in the tutorials section for something relevant to your immediate situation.

Edited by Kappes Buur