Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sluggard

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve flagship VR game

4 hours ago, CBM said:

looks really cool... but why do all VR games have to have floating disembodied hands? why not attach arms?

From what I read on several comments It has something to do with animation / rig ik being difficult to setup for VR models, but there were also other comments about hardware having limited tracking points and not being able to adjust to user orientation, arm length..etc. Lone Echo came up during search and it seems to have them. though I'm sure I've seen some other ones aswell.

1 hour ago, sluggard said:

From what I read on several comments It has something to do with animation / rig ik being difficult to setup for VR models, but there were also other comments about hardware having limited tracking points and not being able to adjust to user orientation, arm length..etc. Lone Echo came up during search and it seems to have them. though I'm sure I've seen some other ones aswell.

ok, I guess VR is still very limited even in 2019

it's hard to get really good animation with just two points being tracked (the controllers). Normal IK rigs for animation usually have controls for elbow facing, to allow for additional flexibility.

if you had full-on kinect-like body tracking it would be more reasonable, though I'd rather take the controllers so you can like, actually have controls in the first place...

ed: also has it been explained how locomotion works in this game? I'm assuming it's not normal FPS like locomotion (it has a bad tendency to induce motion sickness in many), but I feel the usual teleportation solution wouldn't fit the world that well here...

50 minutes ago, SaladBadger said:

if you had full-on kinect-like body tracking it would be more reasonable, though I'd rather take the controllers so you can like, actually have controls in the first place...

Looks fine here

Can't wait to see real AAA game for VR.

But HL: Alyx can't be only one system seller for expensive thing like Valve Index. I hope it's only their first announce and we will see more stuff later - at least it's better than nothing.

...and Source 2.0 looks awesome!

I wonder how the storyline is going to hold up seeing as Laidlaw is out. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:21 AM, terrcraftguy695 said:

Also imagine the outrage if this was hl3.

The game people have been waiting for for 12 years you need to buy a 250-1000 VR headset for. Not including the cost of the pc it's self.

Gabe: "Do you guys not have VR!?"

If this game turns out to be good, then I'll be so happy. If not then I guess I can just play Half-Life 2 maps for the rest of my life

New Zealand accented guy is probably gonna die since he doesn't show up in Later episodes "I'm with you every step in the way" and Eli gets kidnapped yet again. Pretty good-sounding story so far lol.

They'll release a Source 2 Toolset for it, it will have Workshop support and the game doesn't seem to be hyper-monetized so there's that. Maybe someone will eventually come up with a non-VR mod for it, though I doubt they can do it without stripping away a lot of what makes VR games more interactive than press use to activate.

Edited by sluggard : nvm

As most people have already stated i think it looks very cool but limiting it to VR only definitely limits the gamer market, including limiting me. I have no interest in VR whatsoever so unfortunately i won't be playing this.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, Marn said:

I wonder how the storyline is going to hold up seeing as Laidlaw is out. 

I heard that Laidlaw is partially back at Valve  - he gets contacted by the new writers at Valve from time to time, so we'll see about that.

I keep looking at bonework gameplay videos, not the same but it shows that it isn't just a gimmick

besides, play testers are allready telling that they really enjoyed the game

Okay maybe it's not just a gimmick but it's still too much effort, waving my hands around after a long day of work sounds too exhausting, gives me flashbacks to the Wii's Motion Controls. I'll still give it a go.... after I get enough $ to get a VR set 😂

On 11/23/2019 at 3:07 AM, ZealknightMR said:

Gabe: "Do you guys not have VR!?"

568674052873650177.gif?v=1

Edited by sluggard : misspelling

The Game Awards is starting tomorrow, at 5:30 PM PST, Geoff Keighley stated more will be revealed about the game in Game Awards so expect some new Half-Life: Alyx content to be screened at some point during the show.

E: nevermind lol

Edited by sluggard