Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OfficalGeeDee

How to change level names

Question

4 answers to this question

Changing the level names in the intermission screen will require importing a new graphic into the PWAD to replace the existing one. (The title graphic of the first map - what I'm assuming you want to replace - is stored in the lump called WILV00 (doom) or CWILV00 (doom2).)

The task is simpler if your level is intended for ZDoom, which can automatically generate and replace the relevant graphic for you if you specify the map's name in a MAPINFO lump.

As for changing the name on the automap:

As ReX noted, this can be done via DeHackEd. However, if you only intend to change the map name, you don't really need to fiddle with the DeHackEd program or read Enjay's tutorial at all.

Simply copy this text:

[STRINGS]
HUSTR_1 = Map Name Goes Here

...and paste it into a lump called "DEHACKED" in your wad file. This should work in most source ports (it works in prBoom and ZDoom, for example.) It won't work for vanilla Doom though.

Note that the label HUSTR_1 refers to the automap name of Doom 2 MAP01; if you want to rename the map in some other slot (e.g. E1M1), find the appropriate label in this list.

Edited by JudgeDeadd

Are you building your map for a source port? Or are you planning to use "vanilla" DooM (i.e., doom.exe or doom2.exe)?

If you're building for "vanilla" DooM, you'll need DeHackEd. For source ports, your method will vary depending on the port.

[For a tutorial specifically on text editing in DeHackEd, check out this tutorial by Enjay.]

2 hours ago, ReX said:

Are you building your map for a source port? Or are you planning to use "vanilla" DooM (i.e., doom.exe or doom2.exe)?

If you're building for "vanilla" DooM, you'll need DeHackEd. For source ports, your method will vary depending on the port.

[For a tutorial specifically on text editing in DeHackEd, check out this tutorial by Enjay.]

I’m planning on building for vanilla doom 2, in DB2 I selected Doom 2 for my format, no skull tag or zdoom or Hexen stuff.