Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serafettin6 B

What do you think about Doom 3?

Although I don't like Doom 3 much, It's combat mechanics are still miles better than System Shock 2. Bioshock games definitely improved on this aspect.

Edited by ReaperAA

3 minutes ago, DRMman said:

It's a fuckin shit game not only is it's weapon roster horribly weak, the sound design is terrible the pistol and chaingun/plasma gun are the worst offenders to me.

Overly dark areas to make it DaRk AnD SpOoKy even though the idea of being a lone survivor of a hell invasion is creepy enough, the theme is generic and un-remarkable it's already enough that the game has no actual soundtrack and just has "scary ambience" when in reality the ambient tracks suck.

The "bosses" are basically the spider mastermind but with "some challenge added" and by that i mean extremely shitty lighting mixed with rather weak "arenas", the "plot" is nearly nonexistent throughout the game until the end but by then you don't give a shit anymore.

It's slow,linear,tedious&draining why id thought this game would be liked by anyone with a single set of braincells but considering that games like cod still get played even till this day i'm not surprised.

TL;DR Doom 3 sucks or atleast that's my OPINION and you shouldn't feel bad for liking doom 3 nor should you parrot what i say to other doom fans especially newer ones.

Why do you feel the need to unnecessarily and harshly bash a game when you never gave it a chance in the first place? No-one I've ever heard about Doom 3 has been this harsh about it. You must've been very disappointed. What were you expecting?

Sound design is OK to me, but then Trent Reznor left, I think, because he couldn't handle the heat of development so he stayed out of the kitchen. The weapon roster is Doom, what are you expecting? The soundtrack is perfectly fine and atmospheric, it's like Quake, it's not meant to be musical.

The plot is strong with Doom 3.

Slow, linear, tedious and draining??? But IT'S BY ID THEMSELVES, so you better have more respect for them.

Opinion? Your opinion? Then it needs adjustment.

2 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Why do you feel the need to unnecessarily and harshly bash a game when you never gave it a chance in the first place?

I have played doom 3 back when came out and currently for lulz but i guess you didn't read that line in my "review". also i shouldn't mindlessly worship whatever id puts out, doom (2016) and eternal are amazing do i "harshly bash them" no because they're great games and my opinion needs "adjusting" sounds like you want me to change it rather then actually have one, like a sheep have the same one as everyone else.

Either you have some strong ass nostalgia glasses or you just briefly scanned over my post and just typed whatever was on your mind because you really like the game, opinions are subjective you have your's and i have mine i won't try to force mine's on you.

Also have you read the rest of the tl;dr part or just the beginning and stopped there?.

1 minute ago, DRMman said:

Also have you read the rest of the tl;dr part or just the beginning and stopped there?.

You didn't like any of it, and that made me angry. Maybe that's why I may have skipped some of your stuff.

I was still praising id Tech 4 (still do, in fact) some ten YEARS after it came out, it was so great.

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:
4 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

You didn't like any of it, and that made me angry.

Pretty thin skinned, listen i may have ticked you off but at the end of the day it's just a opinion: it doesn't matter who's wrong or right.

6 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I was still praising id Tech 4

Personally i think everything in doom 3 looks like its either wrapped in transparent wrap or made of plastic/clay, it's not id tech 4's fault just id's i guess.

I hated the cyberdemon boss fight. He was too underpowered as a boss. Using soul cube-only on him was a bad idea. Maybe make him very strong and he does take considerable damage from shots but Soul Cube kills him faster.

Shotgun was terrible. A nightmare (pun intended)

I wasn't a fan of reloading, especially those long shotgun reloads.

It still cannot beat any of the Doom games (except TNT) and the lack of proper secret placement (lockers with codes that give you ammo/health/armor) was really a turn off since you had to listen to audios to find the codes or google them.

But other than that, I liked it as a horror game.

I think though that Doom was never that much about horror and Doom 3 felt out of place for a Doom game, but that's my opinion.

2 hours ago, DRMman said:

Personally i think everything in doom 3 looks like its either wrapped in transparent wrap or made of plastic/clay, it's not id tech 4's fault just id's i guess.

Maybe because you used some crappy "Next Gen Better Shaders" mod? Because normally in Doom 3 only shiny metal surfaces look shiny.

11 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Maybe because you used some crappy "Next Gen Better Shaders" mod? Because normally in Doom 3 only shiny metal surfaces look shiny.

Nope, just the trent reznor sound pack.

I personally love it. I never had any nostalgic ties to the DOOM series. I'm only 23 but I still love these games,even if I never grew up with them. DOOM 3 is no exception. It DOES have problems, though.

But I liked what DOOM 3 was going for. Sure, it's the black sheep of the series now after DOOM(2016) and DOOM Eternal, but I thought DOOM 3 was a whale of a time.

I like it when games try to do something a tad different with the formula while still maintaining what made the series so good. It's tricky to pull off, but I think DOOM 3 pulled it off alright. It's a great game, just not a great DOOM game if that makes sense. I liked it for what it was trying to do and I understand if some DOOM fans didn't like it all that much and/or deride the game for reasons.

I thoroughly enjoy Doom 3. The atmosphere, the level design, the campy story and characters. I don't play it all the time but when I'm in the mood I'll play through the whole thing vanilla, then go back and put in the alpha shotgun and a few other meshes and textures, tweak the movement, animations, add in sound effects from the Killing Floor sdk, and play through the whole thing again while slowly tweaking things here and there just for fun.

I was a senior in high school a year before it came out, and I remember being really excited with the screenshots and concept art. I wouldn't actually play it until a year or so after it came out because I didn't have a computer or an xbox and was always busy with college, my local music scene and working and all. But for whatever reasons it exceeded all my expectations when I finally played it and I didn't even consider comparing it with the first two games. I didn't learn about any of the controversy until I came here, and while I see most of the criticism as valid, it was a new Doom game, and I was too busy taking in the experience to be critical.

Those who argue that it's not Doom are right, because it's not Doom, it's Doom 3. Had I never played the Silent Hill games, maybe I would have a different take on the whole vibe of the game, but either way I always enjoy going back to it. But nothing is for everyone and I completely understand why some don't enjoy it or are disappointed. There are a great many popular games that I don't enjoy as well.

i got it and played it when it came out.. umm, liked it at first, or rather, told myself i liked it, but abandoned playing after a few hours.  i like the horror aspect of it, but that's about it; it's monotonous, both visually and combat-wise, it lacks any element of craziness and creativity, and has no sense of fun.  i think it's great only technically, but personally i don't even like this trend for quasi-photorealistic graphics - i prefer graphics that are representative, symbolic, for various reasons.

so at first i was impressed, but after a while simply got tired of it...not deciding to quit doors banging, but never returning to continue - which is the worst damnation of all.

Since it's suppose to be a horror game, the combat wasn't the main thing they were going for. I completed the BFG Edition, but I will complete DOOM 3 (Original version). I think the redesigns are ok. The game does get pretty hard half-way through.

In my opinion, DOOM 3 is a 6/10. I can understand, why people dislike the BFG Edition. It removes some options, and makes the game less enjoyable. Anyway DOOM 3 is a decent game.

I know I'm super late, but I got Doom 3 a few month's ago on my PS4. I was really enjoying it until I reached the part where you have to put the barrels in the thing. What a way to kill an exciting game. I literally couldn't get the barrel in the thing either, it was frustrating. I need to go back and finish the game, but I have to many other game's now lol. Once I finish it i'll probably come back on here and give my final thoughts.

A nice game overall.
But has the worst shotgun of the series, and possibly of the entire FPS genre, like cmon the thing shots like it was a Blunderbuss or worse.
Has good points like the most satisfying sound for a Plasma Rifle.

It's...uh, questionable, i don't hate it, but i do feel like it's not really knowing what it wants to do, does it want to be horror?, action horror?, or just action?, i feel like it's all over the place personally.

15 hours ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

i do feel like it's not really knowing what it wants to do, does it want to be horror?, action horror?, or just action?, i feel like it's all over the place personally.

action/horror

It is quite fun, looking to beat it, it falls under my problem with most modern games though, hard to explore and also the problem with lots of old games, it can't run on modern systems, unless you count the BFG edition.

What are you talking about? Before I found out about the source port dhewm3 and started using it I was still able to run the original game fully patched on modern systems.

Edited by Avoozl