Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jason

What DooM monster irritates you the most?

What DooM monster is most annoying?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the following monsters which I hate having to fight, which one do YOU hate the most?

• Lost Soul
    • Pain Elemental
    • Archvile
    • Revenant
    • Chaingunner/SS (very similar monsters)
    • Icon of Sin (not entirely a monster, I just consider it one)
    • Spider Mastermind (A larger chaingunner with WAY too much health)

Pain Elementals and Archviles, Hate that one spawns lost souls and the other resurrects all the demons on the map so annoying to deal with both of them. At least they look cool

3 hours ago, Skootroot said:

Pain Elementals and Archviles, Hate that one spawns lost souls and the other resurrects all the demons on the map so annoying to deal with both of them. At least they look cool

Hopefully you're targetting the Archvile first if there are no Pain Elementals present.

Somehow I don't mind pain elementals. I kill them quick enough for it to not be that bad of a problem. Archviles though...

12 minutes ago, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

Somehow I don't mind pain elementals. I kill them quick enough for it to not be that bad of a problem. Archviles though...

ARCHVILES THOUGH...

ARCHIE IS MY HOMEBOY

Spoiler

WHEN I'M FEELING DOWN HE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN GIVE ME A BOOST

Hunting down lost souls though? Don't even get me started.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Graf Zahl on this one. The revenant shouldn't be in groups of 15 to 20. It's an interesting enemy that adds some variety to the game due to the fact that you don't know if it's going to fire a missile straight at you, or a homing missile. So when there's just one, or even a handful, they're fun to fight. But it seems like folks feel that they need to throw at least a dozen of them at you at a time, and that's not fun. Honestly the only time I used the BFG in Alien Vendetta , aside from Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, was when I came across a horde of Revenants. Even the Arch-Viles, I would just get close and use the super-shotty.

And I hope all of you who voted for the Pain Elemental realize that their spawning ability was limited in the vanilla version, and that most source ports allow you to enable or disable that limit.

Without a doubt it is the Revenant, because of all the enemies in Doom it is the most obnoxious in all situations.

Its obnoxious if you fight on on their own. its obnoxious when you fight a group of them, and when put into a big epic fight involving lots of monsters that really tests your skills at Doom, I guarantee if you die, a revenant missile did the deed. I just saw this happen to me several times just today. 

Personally, for me, pain elementals are the worst. That reminds me I should really turn on the lost soul limiter...

Either way, I don't see why people hate archviles. Their attacks give you a lot of time to hide, and they also infight with other monsters really easily. And most mappers design rooms around them so that they aren't frustrating.

*glares at whitemare*

I like huge packs of revenants when you have room to maneuver around, so you can gather a big rocket of ultradeath that's actually made of several dozens revenant rockets and then maneuver to get it to instakill a cyberdemon. It's pretty fun. Actually I think TimeofDeath made a level based on this. You have a room with a lot of revenants (that you can't reach), a room with a cyberdemon (that you also can't reach, it's on an island in the middle) and you only have your starting pistol and 50 bullets so you've got to go to the revenant room, gather rockets, then move to the cybie room and get them to hit the cybie.

Pain elementals are the ones I find the most annoying. It's okay when, like, you meet one in a corridor and you can chainsaw it quietly, but when you've got like a crowd of a dozen or so in a big empty area with no cover you quickly get in a situation akin to what you get when you hit a hornets' nest like it was a piñata, except the hornets are flaming skulls.

Arch-viles in a crowd, the trick is to get them hurt by fellow monsters so they will stop targeting you and then you can get rid of them. Generally I use the BFG to one-hit-kill them whenever possible.

I didn't vote for the Icon of Sin, mostly because it's not a regular monster. Generally I consider that any level which feature a mob spawner is a level in which it's okay to cheat outrageously.

Why is this in Everything Else rather than Doom General

Icon of Sin, easily

That really depends on the enemy placement.

Some mappers put hitscanners on places too difficult to kill them, pinkies and specters in too dark and narrow corridors, revenants on too much open spaces so you can't hide from their missiles, arch-vile on some platform so he has a great view to the environment while you barely can see him. Some mappers are evil :D

The topic title says "Irritate" as in annoy, which is different to "hate."

I'll answer both anyways.

Most annoying is pain elemental for me, they are a nuisance with all these lost souls charging your face, and they act their part for blocking your mobility. Not really lethal. Honorable mention for Archvile. Vile falls into the annoying category to me. Yeah, he resurrects stuff and consumes all of your ammo. But it's easy to take cover from his chargeable attack, so I don't really hate him.

Hate would be revs. Nothing is worse than tanking a goddamn 80 rocket curving behind you. Whether it be a pack of them, or a single one that was hidden well to snipe your back.

Icon of sin is a wall to me, not really a monster.

I was going to say the Sergeant, Grunt and Chaingunner. Because those wil easily pin you when you are battling what most consider the more annoying enemies in the game (Archie Bunker, Pain Elemental and Tinky Impsies)

In megawads, i find the Hell Knight to be rather irritating because they often get introduced as ''Enforcers'' in the earlier levels or as knock-off substitutes for the real deal later on in a wadpack (Baron of Hell).

Hell Knight's need to be more respected in the bestiary, so we should hold an initative to Respect the Hell Knight.