S.korean boi's slushER.wad

me again. so...

I N T R O D U C I N G  S L U S H . W A D -

D O W N L O A D -

slushERwad.zip

soo - 

video is here

an apology from slush59134 (슬러시59134) about MAP03

I used oblige and edited some parts. but I thought again, and the result : I thought wrong. I should never use automap maker again.

sorry about oblige. I'll just remake it.

and the result of MAP03. is here.

94521083_2019-12-02204534.png.537728b47e31c6b37543e4b36a4e65a0.png.f7a8d54cccca9df8f9b68721d8ee92f5.png2061640437_2019-12-02204513.png.15a47c2db50d1653ecf57f3baadaf5bb.png.98136cdd307b665449df406f4c5d22c2.png

Edited by slush59134 : zzzz I will re-make map03

3 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

nice oblige map at 4:36

Yeah... There appears to be a large amount of Slige/Oblige type geometry in this. The circular grey plasma gun stand, the skies used for 'windows', the very recognizable 'vent entrances' ...

I too am not 100% convinced that this is entirely his creation.

1 hour ago, Arrowhead12 said:

Yeah... There appears to be a large amount of Slige/Oblige type geometry in this. The circular grey plasma gun stand, the skies used for 'windows', the very recognizable 'vent entrances' ...

I don't know too much about these programs. I know they create maps and stuff but that's about it. Pretty good indicators when they've been used? 

8 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I... touched a lot of things... 

That yellow key windows... was just a switch that opens the door where the lost souls are, and I touched ceilings to looks like some kind of Earthquake, 

but nevermind, there will be NO AUTO-CREATED DOOM MAP from map 04.

I will re-make map03.

Edited by slush59134 : zzzz I will re-make map03

7 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

I don't know too much about these programs. I know they create maps and stuff but that's about it. Pretty good indicators when they've been used? 

The Slige / Oblige programs reliably create random levels, and I have no issue w/ a person using them - I think they're great; I'll fire Oblige up between megawads every now and then. I just am not a huge fan when people aren't upfront about basing their maps around those. I think the author should have mentioned that in opening post.

As to how people can tell:

Oblige will always present weapons on 'short grey pedestals' - I'm certain that those aren't original.

Oblige will also put up 'posters' on walls that state "Oblige". (I didn't see any of these in the video, but I wouldn't doubt they're somehow still present)

Oblige has a variety of other features like obelisks, vent shafts, certain recognizable midtexture usage, certain ways in which textures are combined / transitioned, that will be immediately recognizable after you've generated and played some levels.

I won't get into Slige, as its quite outdated, and I don't think he used it...

I appreciate the enthusiasm the author has, but I do not believe this is the best way to release a WAD, either.

Keep in mind that using an automatic level generator is usually not a good idea, especially you're going to use it to make a public wad. OBLIGE is indeed an interesting utility, allowing you to create random 2.5D levels, even if you have zero experience with level designing. But then again, despite it's been updated and improved for a long time, OBLIGE still has its limitations as an automatic level generator, and people who are familiar with auto-generated levels will figure out that the level was generated by OBLIGE, and even figure out the particular version of it. If you really, really want to publish the auto-generated levels, please consider to mention about it next time.

Still, if you want to improve your mapping skill, I must suggest you that you should not rely on those automatic generators. You need to understand how to design good overall layout, how to make eye-appealing structural details and environments, how to design interesting vertical differences, and how to design intriguing setpieces, by yourself. If you don't know how to get the ideas about them, you may try some well-designed custom wads, such as Scythe 2, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Eviternity, and try to understand how they were designed. I'm not saying that you should simply copy-paste those levels. But you can certainly learn something from those megawads, if you look at them closely from the game and the level editor.

Not to mention that some people in here, including myself, have a negative feeling about OBLIGE-generated levels (Keep in mind, though. I'm not against the OBLIGE itself, and I think it's still an interesting program). To me, it gives a feeling that the author had "I'm too lazy to make my own level, so I'll just let the machine do the job." attitude, especially if the author didn't mention about using an automatic generator.

아직 레벨 디자인에 익숙치 않을 시기이니까 걱정하지 마시고 열심히 노력해보세요. :)

2 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

Oblige will also put up 'posters' on walls that state "Oblige". (I didn't see any of these in the video, but I wouldn't doubt they're somehow still present)

those were removed in the newest version, which the op is using

5 hours ago, antares031 said:

Keep in mind that using an automatic level generator is usually not a good idea, especially you're going to use it to make a public wad. OBLIGE is indeed an interesting utility, allowing you to create random 2.5D levels, even if you have zero experience with level designing. But then again, despite it's been updated and improved for a long time, OBLIGE still has its limitations as an automatic level generator, and people who are familiar with auto-generated levels will figure out that the level was generated by OBLIGE, and even figure out the particular version of it. If you really, really want to publish the auto-generated levels, please consider to mention about it next time.

Still, if you want to improve your mapping skill, I must suggest you that you should not rely on those automatic generators. You need to understand how to design good overall layout, how to make eye-appealing structural details and environments, how to design interesting vertical differences, and how to design intriguing setpieces, by yourself. If you don't know how to get the ideas about them, you may try some well-designed custom wads, such as Scythe 2, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Eviternity, and try to understand how they were designed. I'm not saying that you should simply copy-paste those levels. But you can certainly learn something from those megawads, if you look at them closely from the game and the level editor.

Not to mention that some people in here, including myself, have a negative feeling about OBLIGE-generated levels (Keep in mind, though. I'm not against the OBLIGE itself, and I think it's still an interesting program). To me, it gives a feeling that the author had "I'm too lazy to make my own level, so I'll just let the machine do the job." attitude, especially if the author didn't mention about using an automatic generator.

아직 레벨 디자인에 익숙치 않을 시기이니까 걱정하지 마시고 열심히 노력해보세요. :)

Thanks for the advice/ it really helped me!!

I'm now deleting everything in map03 and watching other megawads speedrun'n videos. to restart mapping from map03-

and.

7 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

The Slige / Oblige programs reliably create random levels, and I have no issue w/ a person using them - I think they're great; I'll fire Oblige up between megawads every now and then. I just am not a huge fan when people aren't upfront about basing their maps around those. I think the author should have mentioned that in opening post.

As to how people can tell:

Oblige will always present weapons on 'short grey pedestals' - I'm certain that those aren't original.

Oblige has a variety of other features like obelisks, vent shafts, certain recognizable midtexture usage, certain ways in which textures are combined / transitioned, that will be immediately recognizable after you've generated and played some levels.

I won't get into Slige, as its quite outdated, and I don't think he used it...

I appreciate the enthusiasm the author has, but I do not believe this is the best way to release a WAD, either.

Thanks for the info dump! I've never messed around with these programs but I've seen videos of maps created with them and it just doesn't seem like it's for me. Those vent shafts do look neat, though. 

On 11/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, cambreaKer said:

those were removed in the newest version, which the op is using

well. I just re-textured oblige-d stuffs.

and...touched some parts - oh, that map03 is now blank!

On 11/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, slush59134 said:

I'll restart my project and it will be my second wad. I'll be back in 5 months.

Screenshot_20191121-235106_YouTube.jpg

Good job and good luck! Looking forward to playing your next wad.