Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsunstealer

Does anyone else think this game is going to suck?

I’m not here to start any drama, but seriously... look at the track record of anything Bethesda has touched since 2016... it has all been criticized to hell and back, literally. I know, I know, Doom is by Id, but this isn’t the Id that made Doom 1-3. None of the key figures are there anymore and the ones that were left removed themselves during “Doom 4”‘s initial development hell. This is the Id that is owned and controlled by Bethesda. If you’re happy with what has happened with Wolfenstein, Quake, and Doom while under Bethesda’s wing, then power to you, I’m not going to argue my opinions on these games. I’m just curious if you all feel the delay is only to prevent the game from being a turd sandwich and more like an ass disaster of turd nuggets? 

Also, with the way they released Doom and Doom II, I have no real reason to be hyped for Doom 64, because I guarantee you it will be as buggy and shitty as their most recent “Classic Doom” ports. Doom 3 worked fine but it was just the BFG edition anyways. Why they didn’t just backwards compat the PSN collection that was on PS3 is beyond me but I’m pretty sure it was so they could force fuck you into creating a Bethesda account and to play an inferior version of Doom so that you’d quickly lose interest and be mind controlled into preordering Doom Eternal for the Doom 64 port which will more than likely suffer from similar problems. 

again, I don’t care about how you feel about these games, I’m just curious how you feel the new one will hold up to people who enjoyed 2016, or if you think it will make people who hated 2016 Doom happier and be the better of the two. Or.. will it just amount to being a big disappointment for both parties?

People hated Doom 2016?

I mean, I've seen some comments on a news article which were pouring scorn on the game around about the time the multiplayer beta was released, and I remember reading some people expressing misgivings about the glory kill mechanic when the QuakeCon trailer was dropped. But I can't say that I've heard anyone say that they hated Doom 2016, certainly not since it was actually released in full.

Everything I've seen indicates that Doom 2016 was a critical and financial success. Not only did id software deliver an FPS with a cracking single-player campaign, but they also made it as widely accessible as possible over multiple platforms, including what is by all accounts a very competently made Switch port.

I'm confident that the guys who made Doom 2016, a triple-AAA title with no microtransactions or gambling mechanics or paid DLC up the wazoo, will be able to pull it off again with Doom Eternal. They're not the same guys who made the original Doom games, but it's clear, not only from their public appearances, that they genuinely care about creating a worthwhile player experience. By their works you shall know them.

And I think their works are up to snuff. I'm certainly still excited for Doom Eternal.

I have played many hours of Doom Eternal therefore I can say it improves upon Doom 2016 in every way.  There is no way it is going to suck.

4 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Nice Bait to the hate waggon.

Not quite. I just wanted people’s general opinion on if they think it will be improved over 2016 or be a disappointment. 

however, I will hop on the hate wagon when it comes to those abominations of “ports” of classic Doom that they released not too long ago. If that is what is expected, I expect Doom 64 to have a lot of the same problems those ports have. 

I think it's going to suck for some reasons:

1) It's Bethesda - say hello to microtransactions and other "cool" monetization.

2) Too much Mortal Kombat in game, all of these finishers - it's FPS not fighting. From glory kill to glory kill to glory kill to glory kill... It looks boring in long term perspective.

3) Too much casual shit - BattleMode and freeze grenades, for example.

It don't believe in Bethesda anymore. Personally, I not asked for all of this named as Doom Eternal, I just wished for better and bigger version of Doom '16.

Loved 2016. Love everything I've seen of Doom Eternal. 

It is also not being made by anyone at Bethesda, ergo, no, the failure of Fallout 76 has no bearing on anything.

The weirdness with Wolfenstien also has no bearing on anything, as once more, that is another studio. Likewise, my issues with Wolf TNO (didn't play TNC) have to do with the game design itself, not the quality. 

I also do not care if Eternal has cosmetic microtransactions or mission packs. From the looks of it, the base game will be rich with content, and nothing we've seen so far suggests there will be any pay to win bullshit stuff in online play. In any case, I'm more keen on the single player, which, again, looks good. 

In short; I am super excited. Not worried at all. I'm confident that the delay is simply quality control and nothing nefarious. 

20 hours ago, tsunstealer said:

I have no real reason to be hyped for Doom 64, because I guarantee you it will be as buggy and shitty as their most recent “Classic Doom” port

Remember Doom 64 EX?

The rerelease of Doom 64 is being maintained by the developer of the port and his team in Nightdive, so you have no real reason to expect a negative thing about Doom 64.

The only negative thing I can think of about Doom 64's rerelease though, is the fan remakes' possiblity of being CND'd.

15 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Remember Doom 64 EX?

The rerelease of Doom 64 is being maintained by the developer of the port and his team in Nightdive, so you have no real reason to expect a negative thing about Doom 64.

The only negative thing I can think of about Doom 64's rerelease though, is the fan remakes.

The remakes will be fine, people should stop being paranoid (says the paranoid guy, ironic isn't it?)

Also yes, looks like a lack of proper research here. The D64 remaster is handled by Nightdive, one of the main developers being the author of one of the only PC ports for the game, D64 EX (other one being GEC GZDoom Master Edition, based on an old version of the said port). Also, the Unity ports were crappy at launch, but the biggest concerns (inaccurate lightning and slowed down music) were addressed in a major update. Only a couple of issues, such as lack of aspect ratio correction and the Circle of Death demo desyncing remain now.

D64 EX was great, so the commercial re-release of it can only go beyond. Some examples would be the fact that apparently, as good as it was, D64 was not demo compatible (Edward said the internal demos "desync basically instantly", so that's one field where things can be greatly improved), it has a 3-point bilinear filter to mimmick the texture filtering of the N64, toggleable regional settings (blood color), and likely more we're unaware of yet (Fresh Supply had DirectX and Vulkan renderers in addition to OpenGL for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if EX is going to follow in its footsteps and come with those as well).

Whilst it is healthy to not always blindly expect that something will be good and that a bit of cynicism is good, it isn't always good to be a straight pessimist about it (saying that tasted like hypocrisy and irony but I don't care), pessimism isn't healthy.

6 hours ago, qdash said:

I think it's going to suck for some reasons:

1) It's Bethesda - say hello to microtransactions and other "cool" monetization.

2) Too much Mortal Kombat in game, all of these finishers - it's FPS not fighting. From glory kill to glory kill to glory kill to glory kill... It looks boring in long term perspective.

3) Too much casual shit - BattleMode and freeze grenades, for example.

It don't believe in Bethesda anymore. Personally, I not asked for all of this named as Doom Eternal, I just wished for better and bigger version of Doom '16.

Whilst even I do expect microtransactions, the following points that follow apply to you and your mindset, which is fair but the confusion I feel mostly stems from the thought that "Ice bombs" and "Battlemode" are "Casual shit", now whilst I understand you are a mega turbo ultra hardcore gamer, I struggle to see how *those* points are your best choice for arguing "causality", if anything Battlemode looks like a hard to get into niche as hell gamemode for only the welll initiated.

Well that and the whole "ugh casual" mindset is abhorrent to me.

Personally I just hope the game lets me pump lead after lead into the brains of imps rather than forcing me to glory kill everything. Seriously, that mechanic should stay but not make it so necessary...

I doubt Todd Howard is going to have much say in the development of Doom Eternal.
While I have no doubt there will be some form of microtransaction, we aren't going to see EA levels of it for damn sure.
Everything I've seen and heard shows that it's an improvement of Doom '16 so I have faith that it will not be a flop.

17 hours ago, NoXion said:

People hated Doom 2016?

Well I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't like it and I am not ashamed to admit this.

Nah, I think ID still has a lot of control over what happens to DooM since its been ID's baby for 25 years. Plus isn't Bethesda just publishing it?

as I've said in other threads, my preferred doom versions in order are... doom 2, doom 1, other doom 90s versions, doom3/2004, doom 4/2016

so in my view doom 3 is better than 4 but doom 2 is better than all of them

I mean, can we map and mod doom 4 as easy as we can with the likes of gzdoom? no...

2 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I doubt Todd Howard is going to have much say in the development of Doom Eternal.
While I have no doubt there will be some form of microtransaction, we aren't going to see EA levels of it for damn sure.
Everything I've seen and heard shows that it's an improvement of Doom '16 so I have faith that it will not be a flop.

Todd Howard?Do you have head problems after F76?  He is the director of Bethesda games and does not belong to Bethesda publisher in any way. He has no influence on Doom Eternal. Another microtransaction in Doom is complete stupidity based on the fact that WL youngblood had microtransactions¹

On 11/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, tsunstealer said:

I’m just curious if you all feel the delay is only to prevent the game from being a turd sandwich and more like an ass disaster of turd nuggets? 

It's phrasing like this that makes your post come across as bait.

If you are genuinely asking whether most people think the immediate sequel to one of the most highly regarded FPS games of the last 10 years will be a "turd nugget", you can't be surprised when people roll their eyes at you. 

If you want a genuine opinion, the answer is "no".

I played 2016, seen extensive Eternal footage, and watched the devs talking about it. All of it has me convinced that id gives absolutely zero fucks about Bethesda's way of handling games. If they did they would not have delayed the game.

The game looks like an improvement on 2016 in a lot of ways (they even made a clip about different gameplay scenarios in the levels, so that could help to make the game more interesting, even if there's still a few arena lockdowns) and any problem it has could be something related to 2016 like the armor still being a second health bar.

We will probably also have gameplay mods inspired by this game for the classic Doom's (like with D4 mods for example), so whether or not the game flops or how long it takes for Eternal to get actual modding, we have that.

I find it weird that both the fears and excitement for Eternal from most people, don't really tackle on gameplay design as much as you'd expect from a gameplay first series associated with game design, which could be because of newer fans.

Something that kind of worries me is if the idea behind Slayer's Club is to bring brand loyality to Doom fans, because nobody wants to be a corporate drone that hopes for a company's approval for saying nice things about a product.

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Well that and the whole "ugh casual" mindset is abhorrent to me.

The funny thing is that 2016's MP had a two weapon limit/loadouts so that's already casual in some way (both by design because it replaces the "pick up weapons and use them well in your extended arsenal" thing and it's a feature related to modern FPS meant to appeal to wider audiences) but i guess some people with that mindset used to be casuals themselves who regret it, similar to how some people worrying too much about microtransactions could be the ones who took a while to actually get informed about the greedy tactics in the industry.

On mercredi 20 novembre 2019 at 5:00 PM, tsunstealer said:

I’m not here to start any drama, but seriously... look at the track record of anything Bethesda has touched since 2016...

How many of these were developed by id? Besides Doom 2016, which has been a critical and commercial success.

it has all been criticized to hell and back, literally. I know, I know, Doom is by Id, but this isn’t the Id that made Doom 1-3.

The id that made Doom 3 was already not the id that made Doom 1 and 2.

This is the Id that is owned and controlled by Bethesda. If you’re happy with what has happened with Wolfenstein, Quake, and Doom while under Bethesda’s wing, then power to you, I’m not going to argue my opinions on these games.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was generally considered good, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood also, though Wolfenstein: The New Colossus wasn't. On the Doom front, already mentioned, it's generally considered good. On the Quake front, there was nothing, just a reheated version of Quake 3 Arena. The Wolf games were by MachineGames, not id. What else? There was a reheated version of Doom 3, and Rage, both generally considered disappointing. Rage 2 was by Avalanche, though, not id.

Also, with the way they released Doom and Doom II, I have no real reason to be hyped for Doom 64, because I guarantee you it will be as buggy and shitty as their most recent “Classic Doom” ports.

Again, you seem to miss the distinction between publisher and developer. The Doom 64 rerelease is developed by Nightdive Studios. Not the same people as those who made the recent console ports. The Nightdive Studio staff working on it include many Doomworld alumni, notably @Kaiser, @Quasar, and @Edward850. I believe they've earned enough trust to not be assumed to screw this up.

On mercredi 20 novembre 2019 at 5:15 PM, GaiusJuliusCaesar said:

Given that the whole fallout first debacle was caused by the delaying of DE, I say no, DE is in capable hands, that bow to no pressure. 

3gz14u.jpg

You know, if the horrible gremlins at Bethesda were like this, we wouldn't have gotten Doom 2016. We would have gotten Doom 2012 or something, and it would have been this.

2 hours ago, CBM said:

I mean, can we map and mod doom 4 as easy as we can with the likes of gzdoom? no...

You're also forgetting something here. The kind of "modding" that was seen in those games can't really be done anymore, or not to the same extent as the technology and complexity of the games themselves has greatly evolved. It's also why mods for other games are no longer done by one person handling everything, but by teams responsible of different aspects.

12 minutes ago, seed said:

You're also forgetting something here. The kind of "modding" that was seen in those games can't really be done anymore, or not to the same extent as the technology and complexity of the games themselves has greatly evolved. It's also why mods for other games are no longer done by one person handling everything, but by teams responsible of different aspects.

Well a sandbox game like fallout 4 is Much more complex Than any doom game and that game has Many great mods and many by just One or two people

Antique engine, bugs galore, story fatigue and bugthesda mistakes aside, fallout 4 is not a bad fps... It is not an rpg in and way though even strife is more like an rpg

If a competent company got free hands to make an Ultimate game, then we could have an ultra modern doom/fallout/strife type game without bugs

Or perhaps GZDoom Will evolve significantly in terms of visuals