Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsunstealer

Does anyone else think this game is going to suck?

I don't think it will suck, but it seems like lockdowns are returning and they're cranking the nostalgia pandering and arcadiness up to 11. I'm not looking forward to that.

20 hours ago, sluggard said:

and they're cranking the nostalgia pandering and arcadiness up to 11

Well everyone complained about the design changes for monsters and Ui in Doom 2016 so i guess Id can never win; its either 'Nostalgia Pandering' or 'Ruining the original'

You can't please everyone, I guess it will have to make do.....

Edited by sluggard

Nah, if anything I think it's most likely to be a slight improvement on Doom 2016 (which in itself was pretty good).  They've had their first crack at this type of Doom game and it looks from the trailers etc. as if Doom Eternity is going to be a case of fine-tuning the Doom 2016 formula and addressing some of the criticisms that people had of Doom 2016.  For example, although there will be lockdowns I've seen a fair bit of evidence that the emphasis on them may be turned down.  The "extra life" system also has potential to address my issues with the checkpoint-only save system of Doom 2016.  I doubt it will be perfect - the new changes will probably contain some flaws of their own.  The main negative of Doom Eternal will be no modding (at least not to begin with) but SnapMap proved to be too limited.

Hopefully it doesn't suck but at the risk of jinxing it, I'd rather not say anything more.

What will really make this game great is mod support later down the road after the release of a few single player DLCs.  If they manage to do that will it begin to have the staying power of the originals.  2016 was great but the campaign felt short and didn't have any single player DLC to extend its staying power.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:00 AM, tsunstealer said:

look at the track record of anything Bethesda has touched since 2016

Depends who your talking about, Bethesda is split into two groups Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game studios (For now I'll refer to Bethesda game studios as BGS and Bethesda softworks as just Bethesda)

BGS are the folks who make Elder scrolls, Fallout and now Starfield, with their game director being their sweet little liar Todd Howard

Bethesda are the publishers, Think of Bandi namco, EA, Activision etc. while they dont make any games themselves they handel stuff like marketing and getting it to the consumer, Bethesda owns quite a few companies (ID software and arkane studios just to name a few) this includes BGS

Anyways, most of your controversies come from BGS not Bethesda, while they still are to blame for the marketing, the games themselves? Nothing to do with em.

Bethesda has released multiple games after 2016 including;

PREY

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

The Evil Within 2

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

The Elder Scrolls: Legends

Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot

Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Rage 2

The Elder Scrolls: Blades

The only game here that has had a major controversy is ES: Blades, while some games had some pretty shit reviews (The two Wolfenstein Spinoffs) None of them show any

indication that Doom: Eternal is gonna be a bad game (You may say that rage 2 is an indication of doom eternals imminent downfall, but all the reviews I've seen have said that the gunplays is extremly fun and a blast to use, while the world and story is what lets it down, oh and who would've guessed it, ID software worked on the gunplay rather than the world)

i5y511W.png.2cc6a8023a821b0eb7e77761e5edfbb6.pngWVHnoIG.png.08cd0d2d7ed633255a4270c3d66d1412.png

TL:DR

Previous hiccups in bethesdas' marketing shows no indication that Doom eternal will be a bad game.

With the time it takes for Eternal to come out (and when it gets proper mod support) there's still a lot of mods for classic Doom to kill time, with some able to scratch those itches left by this game.

But there was also Slayer's Testaments for Quake and someone is making a SnapMap level inspired by Eternal's Cultist Base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP74r1GFKSE

Also, something i wonder if could happen in Eternal is attempts at merging combat and exploration like having to use the meat hook on a flying enemy to reach a spot that has a secret in it.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, tsunstealer said:

I’m not here to start any drama, but seriously... look at the track record of anything Bethesda has touched since 2016... it has all been criticized to hell and back, literally. I know, I know, Doom is by Id, but this isn’t the Id that made Doom 1-3. None of the key figures are there anymore and the ones that were left removed themselves during “Doom 4”‘s initial development hell. This is the Id that is owned and controlled by Bethesda. If you’re happy with what has happened with Wolfenstein, Quake, and Doom while under Bethesda’s wing, then power to you, I’m not going to argue my opinions on these games. I’m just curious if you all feel the delay is only to prevent the game from being a turd sandwich and more like an ass disaster of turd nuggets? 

Also, with the way they released Doom and Doom II, I have no real reason to be hyped for Doom 64, because I guarantee you it will be as buggy and shitty as their most recent “Classic Doom” ports. Doom 3 worked fine but it was just the BFG edition anyways. Why they didn’t just backwards compat the PSN collection that was on PS3 is beyond me but I’m pretty sure it was so they could force fuck you into creating a Bethesda account and to play an inferior version of Doom so that you’d quickly lose interest and be mind controlled into preordering Doom Eternal for the Doom 64 port which will more than likely suffer from similar problems. 

again, I don’t care about how you feel about these games, I’m just curious how you feel the new one will hold up to people who enjoyed 2016, or if you think it will make people who hated 2016 Doom happier and be the better of the two. Or.. will it just amount to being a big disappointment for both parties?

Ok, thanks for the information J.J. Johnson

No, i think that is gonna be a decent/good game that has barely anything to do with Doom, just like the previous one, and that Bethesda has not much to do with it besides distribution.

Imo its just a doom 4 stand alone expansion (shrugs) i probably wont buy it...but im sure many others will :) 

Considering DE a mere standalone expansion is MASSIVELY selling the game short and ignoring the amount of very obvious effort that was put into it. Also ignoring the scale and scope.

No way this Eternal can be called as such in any capacity.

Redesigned enemies, new graphics, new levels, pretty much all-new assets.. how is it an expansion? I would get this argument for Final Doom, but seriously? lol

Doom 4 photos and doom eternal photos Look very similar to my eyes but meh each to his own i guess( shrugs)

Edited by Hcoop111

Then Doom 2 is just a stand alone expantion to Doom 1. hehe

41 minutes ago, Hcoop111 said:

Doom 4 photos..doom 4 eternal photos Look very similar to my eyes but meh each to his own i guess( shrugs)

Hmmm, I could be possible, Doom Eternal might be using a few scrapped content from Doom 4. Do you know Doom 2 RPG??? IMO that game contained some spoilers to Doom 4, there an unused texture in game that later appeared in Doom 2016 and some community member like @whatup876 have found some elements from the aforementioned game present in Doom Eternal trailers.

Hey guys, do you think this game from a reputable studio that's shaping up to be better than its predecessor in every way is going to suck?

Ive heard of doom 2 rpg i wanted to play it  but never got around to it sadly... i enjoyed doom rpg though nice little mobile game 

25 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Hey guys, do you think this game from a reputable studio that's shaping up to be better than its predecessor in every way is going to suck?

Certainly, it's how the great have fallen too :p .

If anyone looks carefully at the new gameplay footage that came out today, look more carefully. There was a screen telling the player they can upgrade The Fortress of Doom. Da FAQ is this Superman piss shake reference? Doom does not have Batcave wannabe bullshit. You run and fight, not hide like a sissi boi goth man.

Also there was a section where you are forced to play as a demon. I hate Brutal Doom when it forces you to do that, so why would I want to be reminded of that? This game is already dumpster fire material on arrival.

Did I just see a revenant gifting an SSG to Doomslayer? Does that mean we can mindcontrol demons?

Well... Damn!!

5 hours ago, seed said:

Considering DE a mere standalone expansion is MASSIVELY selling the game short and ignoring the amount of very obvious effort that was put into it. Also ignoring the scale and scope.

No way this Eternal can be called as such in any capacity.

Why do I see people rewarding bad games with shitty gameplay mechanics by over praising the visuals? Lord God, are we still in the age that graphics trump all other aspects of a game? Effort into making a pile of turd burgers isn't effort. It's a disaster to quality. Stop rewarding BS. Whether it takes 2 mins or 10 hours does not matter. If you fail, you fail. All your effort is null and void, PERIOD.

Put makeup on an ugly warthog and it gets a standing ovation. O by how far the gamer crowd has fallen.

Just now, warman2012 said:

Why do I see people rewarding bad games with shitty gameplay mechanics by over praising the visuals? Lord God, are we still in the age that graphics trump all other aspects of a game? Effort into making a pile of turd burgers isn't effort. It's a disaster to quality. Stop rewarding BS. Whether it takes 2 mins or 10 hours does not matter. If you fail, you fail. All your effort is null and void, PERIOD.

Put makeup on an ugly warthog and it gets a standing ovation. O by how far the gamer crowd has fallen.

You reading into something I didn't even imply?

Care to elaborate when I said at any point that "it looks visually stunning so it should be good too"? I never said that at any point in history.

6 minutes ago, seed said:

You reading into something I didn't even imply?

Care to elaborate when I said at any point that "it looks visually stunning so it should be good too"? I never said that at any point in history.

I fell into a bit of overgeneralization. My apologies. I'll concede that fact. 

A more short version is this: A Doom game that comes short of it's goal of being great is a failure, and no amount of effort should be rewarded or recognized if it does not reach that standard by the majority who buy it. (This acknowledging that success in this context is subjective.)

23 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

Spoiler

doomguy_pistol.png

Edited by FractalBeast : Calling upon "the gamer crowd", I just had to do it to 'em

31 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

I fell into a bit of overgeneralization. My apologies. I'll concede that fact. 

A more short version is this: A Doom game that comes short of it's goal of being great is a failure, and no amount of effort should be rewarded or recognized if it does not reach that standard by the majority who buy it. (This acknowledging that success in this context is subjective.)

See the irony here then?

For the majority of Doom players, D2016 was, by almost all accounts (MP reportedly wasn't, but I don't care for multiplayer so whatever) a great game that managed to be both old school and modern at the same time with its fun gunplay, fluid movement, and fast paced combat, while letting the story be there for those who sought it. As a result, a game that follows in its footsteps has all the chances to be just as good, if not greater than it. I like what I've seen so far, and clearly others do the same.

But what if you hate it? No problem at all, different people like different things, and that's a very good thing. However, the way you're wording your complaints and directing your hatred appears to be, more often than not, a reaction against other people and as a result, makes you look more like you're being contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian, even if you have valid points. If you wouldn't make posts like those, I guarantee the reactions you stir would look very different.

Edited by seed

14 minutes ago, seed said:

See the irony here then?

For the majority of Doom players, D2016 was, by almost all accounts (MP reportedly wasn't, but I don't care for multiplayer so whatever) a great game that managed to be both old school and modern at the same time with its fun gunplay, fluid movement, and fast paced combat, while letting the story be there for those who sought it. As a result, a game that follows in its footsteps has all the chances to be just as good, if not greater than it. I like what I've seen so far, and clearly others do the same.

But what if you hate it? No problem at all, different people like different things, and that's a very good thing. However, the way you're wording your complaints and directing your hatred appears to be, more often than not, a reaction against other people as a result, makes you look more like you're being contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian, even if you have valid points. If you wouldn't make posts like those, I guarantee the reactions you stir would look very different.

Alright, yeah, I don't like other people peddling garbage. It encourages more of it. Being passive does not work, only the reactionaries get things done. I won't apologize for that. 

This new way of tolerance for others who disagree clearly does not work, nor will I peddle such delusional thinking. 

9 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

Alright, yeah, I don't like other people peddling garbage. It encourages more of it. Being passive does not work, only the reactionaries get things done. I won't apologize for that. 

I agree, inaction is just as bad as directly supporting the product in many cases. No need to keep silent about these things.

Here, however, we don't think we're investing or anticipating bullshit, as we've seen with D2016 in which case I daresay the expectations were very high, considering id ditched the OG Doom 4 to find a better formula that was truer to the classics. If you didn't like it, that's perfectly fine and reasonable, but many of us did and we want more of it. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the new games, but apart from offering criticism and simply not buying the product there's nothing else to do. Bashing others will not serve any goal but the exact opposite, it sometimes only encourages people to buy it out of sheer spite.

45 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

A Doom game that comes short of it's goal of being great is a failure, no amount of effort should be rewarded or recognized if it does not reach that standard by the majority who buy it. 

This is the most nonsense statement I've seen here. You don't have to buy the game. You can say it's garbage, that's all well and fine. But to sit there and belittle the amount of effort and technical talent that clearly went into this game and say it deserves NOTHING is pure ignorance.