Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsunstealer

Does anyone else think this game is going to suck?

Why are you so touchy when we do not uniformly praise Doom Eternal all the time? This is a discussion board, so let's discuss things.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

So is Doom 2016 or im i just imagining all the Tech and Hell levels in that game?

Probably the later...

Yes, Doom 2016 managed to realise that scifi/occult mix to some degree.

3 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

This differentiation is non existent unless your interpretation of medieval fantasy is somehow not this:

E3m5_dark.png.d032ebc7b6e2d217be0bb4143250012b.png

And I personally don't care if Doomguy is described as a pastry chef in the lore, he's still doing the same thing as in 1993, which is killing every demon in sight. And in my opinion having having some explanation for his prowess is more interesting than "nameless space marine can kill thousands of demons because reasons" for the 10th time.

No, this is not my interpretation of medieval fantasy. It's a bizarre temple of some sort.

Edited by Tetzlaff

On 3/8/2020 at 9:25 PM, Tetzlaff said:

Why are you so touchy when we do not uniformly praise Doom Eternal all the time? This is a discussion board, so let's discuss things.

Yeah, Jazzmaster9 and Seed seem to have a particular hard-on for Doom Eternal, as I've discovered. In their eyes, Doom Eternal can only be THE perfect game of all time, and woe betide any dissenting voices who predict the contrary.

Edited by Foebane72

22 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

I don't think anyone is doing that here - I'm not, at least. This has mostly something to do with posts that look too desperate to criticize new Doom for what it is and how everything was better in the past.

There have been plenty of valid points raised by others, and when that happened the discussion remained civil and calm. It only got heated and defensive when trollish comments started flowing - though it can certainly be argued that we (yes, "we", because I'm guilty of that too) shouldn't take these posts as seriously as we tend to do instead of simply ignoring them.

12 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Yeah, Jazzmaster9 and Seed seem to have a particular hard-on for Doom Eternal, as I've discovered. In their eyes, Doom Eternal can only be THE perfect game of all time, and woe betide any dissenting voices who predict the contrary.

It's not just DE, neither. I've replayed a bit of Doom 2016 today and I don't think I like it any more, neither. Even the visuals have dated. Well, considering the game is four years old, it's not surprising.

Thank you for doing my job for me and proving my point, Trollmaster72.

Edited by seed

34 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

This is a discussion board, so let's discuss things.

There is a difference between discussing things and letting everyone know how much they hate nu-Doom  and nothing can change their superior opinion, because eveything nu-Id does is "NOT DOOM"

25 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Yeah, Jazzmaster9 and Seed seem to have a particular hard-on for Doom Eternal

and you seem to have just nothing but contempt for Doom Eternal and fine every excuse to rag on it, the Irony.

comparing Doom to Call of Duty pretty much destroyed any credibility you got.

Whats the next thread btw

• "Why cant Doom Eternal run is msDos, not really Doom ?"
  • "Remember when sound effects were not hd quality?"

25 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

It's not just DE, neither. I've replayed a bit of Doom 2016 today and I don't think I like it any more, neither. Even the visuals have dated. Well, considering the game is four years old, it's not surprising.

You found another reason to be disappointed in nu-Doom 4 years later? i'm surprised 

Edited by jazzmaster9

8 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

You found another reason to be disappointed in nu-Doom 4 years later? i'm surprised 

Also imagine a cutting-edge game looking "dated" 3 years later. I don't think I even want to know what he thinks of a game like Crysis 3 then.

Actually no, cut that, I'm sure I don't want to know.

@mrthejoshmon had some good points here.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Also imagine a cutting-edge game looking "dated" 3 years later. I don't think I even want to know what he thinks of a game like Crysis 3 then.

Actually no, cut that, I'm sure I don't want to know.

Doom 2016's graphics is like Fotnite lol,

remember when graphics were drawn by hand not these, 3d models being done the easy way by lazy devs who cant draw.

44 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Given that you stated yourself in another thread that you are explicitly trying your hardest to find things to be mad about with Eternal, I think you really, really shouldn't be coming in here and pointing fingers at anyone buddy. Both @jazzmaster9 and @seed are pretty much reacting to the obsessive amount of "I must find everything to hate" crusading that you've been leading for , by your own admission, very poor reasons, not to the mere fact of Eternal not being everyone's cup of tea. 

"and you seem to have just nothing but contempt for Doom Eternal and fine every excuse to rag on it, the Irony.

comparing Doom to Call of Duty pretty much destroyed any credibility you got."

I deleted that comment, if you remember. Are you going to hold that against me?

"Whats the next thread btw

"Why cant Doom Eternal run is msDos, not really Doom ?"

"Remember when sound effects were not hd quality?""

Don't be obtuse.

"Doom 2016's graphics is like Fotnite lol,

remember when graphics were drawn by hand not these, 3d models being done the easy way by lazy devs who cant draw."

Again, I rescinded that comment. Are YOU going to hold that against me?

I honestly don't get what's with the such strong feelings towards Nu-Doom. I don't understand where the feeling of it being such an awful piece of shit that it's cursed existence actively makes existence a much worse place to be in comes from. It just felt like an evolution of Quake's gameplay with influence from Serious Sam's levels mixed with some modern shooter elements like weapon upgrades and stats. It's not like the 'Shock' games or Halo or Deus Ex where it makes sense as to why people would absolutely adore those games or despise them with the fury of a thousand raging suns. The hate train stuff feels unwarranted and after reading some of the stuff from here it seems like the hate train is comprised of arbitrary excuses to make the passengers of said train look like wise retro purists who know better than those silly developers, almost on the same level of how people perceive boomers hating the younger generation for just being different.

17 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I deleted that comment, if you remember. Are you going to hold that against me?

you deleting is besides the point, the fact you said that in the first place in an attempt to make Doom Eternal to looks as bad as possible proves my point of just how far "2 Old School" people go to prove how nu-Doom is "objectively bad"

4 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

you deleting is besides the point, the fact you said that in the first place in an attempt to make Doom Eternal to looks as bad as possible proves my point of just how far "2 Old School" people go to prove how nu-Doom is "objectively bad"

Someone can change their mind, you know, or speak in haste and regret it. It's not fair for you to, as I said, hold that against me even now.

2 hours ago, seed said:

And I also like how we're getting baited by these posts.

How I would love that to be the case. During my time on the internet I've started questioning whether these kinds of things are actual baiting and not sheer ignorance. Some people are stupid. Like, REALLY stupid. It can't all be just a show when something is so idiotic it makes us pause. It is easier to assume it's just trolling, but sometimes that's just avoiding the truth. 

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Someone can change their mind, you know, or speak in haste and regret it. It's not fair for you to, as I said, hold that against me even now.

Again you missed the point, i was using Fortnite as a general example of how ridiculous some of the reasons people give about how nu-Doom is objectively bad.

8 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

I also like this revisionist history of pretending 2016 wasn't successful. 

Had to look back over my post a few times to make sure i wasnt hallucinating and put something about it being successful or not in there but thankfully the crazy one is you

3 hours ago, Reaverbot said:

Had to look back over my post a few times to make sure i wasnt hallucinating and put something about it being successful or not in there but thankfully the crazy one is you

My apologies for misinterpreting the subtext. 

well, since this thread is here I might aswell do it before it inevitably disappears again.

Yes I think this game is going to suck, the repetitive arenas are back, the amount of fan-service and pandering with redesigning monsters and items to look silly and like their "classic counterparts" is off the charts, the fantasy setting is as generic as "light vs darkness" and "you being the chosen one" trope, I also don't care whether they were redesigned because of fan demand, that's still "fan-service and pandering", nothing about the above screams "breath of fresh air" to me.

Keyword here is "I" so you don't have to give me a condescsending lecture about objectivity, I find it funny how the white-knights are always ready to jump to the defense of this game whenever something about it is criticized, though it's expected to see an enormous amount of white-knighting especially in a place with the word "Doom" plastered on it's title.

I also find it hard to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist when it's all over the news, fanboys always ready to dismiss criticism just by the mere virtue of it being criticism, I still think the game is going to sell well and do well critically but I fail to see anything that's inviting me to get it, I enjoyed Doom 2016 but it didn't leave me "wanting more", this looks like more of the same thing but with more bells and whistles.

14 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

If we're gonna use that logic all you do in Doom one is "side step fire ball, shoot, repeat 1000x" or "circle enemy while shooting for 5 seconds, repeat" 

That woven into gameplay on the most basic level, because its literally "based basic base of the base(OH)3" of the game. Its does not change the pace in other words.
I can jump (in Gzdoom) whole level with silly "Hehehehe" on every monster death, or walk with stern facial expression saying "Now I got you ticket to hell" or wearing black classes saying "Unlimited balls".

While in New-o-Dums its more like
Deja vu I just be....
[fatality cutscene]
...en in this place before hi...
[fatality cutscene]
...her on the street and I...
[fatality cutscene]
and so on.
Just not a my cup of monster energy. I can play in it and have fun, but I bored to quickly in it.

31 minutes ago, sluggard said:

I also don't care whether they were redesigned because of fan demand, that's still "fan-service and pandering"

But I really can't understand why is this such a bad thing it deserves unlimited hatred. I think the new redesigns are pretty damn cool and look much better than some of the design choices 2016 went for - looking at you Cybermoose and Mancubus. Could have they gone for something else instead? Certainly, but as proven repeatedly this is a no-win scenario. It's literally "pandering" vs "ruining the original", absolutely no middle ground to find anywhere.

Besides, is it bad to address fan requests? Well, yeah, I guess it can be lol, if taken to the extreme, but I don't think that's happening here tbh.

36 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Keyword here is "I" so you don't have to give me a condescsending lecture about objectivity, I find it funny how the white-knights are always ready to jump to the defense of this game whenever something about it is criticized, though it's expected to see an enormous amount of white-knighting especially in a place with the word "Doom" plastered on it's title.

It happens with any franchise though, nothing special about Doom here. But I hope you're not calling everyone who has defended the game a "white knight", especially when said "knighting" only happened when trolls started showing up :p . If they have something constructive to contribute to the discussion that's always a good thing, but when it is all a circle-jerk reaction of how "new Doom sucks because it's not like classic Doom or made by the old id REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" then yeah, it's only expected to see that happen. When you enter a place solely for the purpose of trolling you shouldn't expect people to take that kindly, because they won't, no one does really.

1 minute ago, seed said:

But I really can't understand why is this such a bad thing it deserves unlimited hatred.

I don't hate it, It's more like "I'm not very fond of it"

2 minutes ago, seed said:

If they have something constructive to contribute to the discussion that's always a good thing, but when it is all a circle-jerk reaction of how "new Doom sucks because it's not like classic Doom or made by the old id REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" then yeah, it's only expected to see that happen.

Ah, you're talking about "those people", lol.

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

While in New-o-Dums its more like
Deja vu I just be....
[fatality cutscene]
...en in this place before hi...
[fatality cutscene]
...her on the street and I...
[fatality cutscene]
and so on.

[Side step]

Shoot

[Side step]

Shoot

And shoot

Press exit.

my  point still stands. Both Doom 1 and Doom 2016s game play loop is pretty repetitive if you dumb it down to its basic roots.

1 hour ago, sluggard said:

I find it funny how the white-knights are always ready to jump to the defense of this game whenever something about it is criticized, though it's expected to see an enormous amount of white-knighting especially in a place with the word "Doom" plastered on it's title.

I dont think anyone here is deflecting criticism.

Whats being snuffed out are the people who thinks nu-Doom objectively sucks because its not Doom 1 with HD textures or worse... People who nitpick one tiny thing and make it seem like its a game breaking flaw that will "tarnish" the Doom name.

I don't think it's going to suck, I think theres a possibility of the DLC might suck. 

I just preordered last night and I cannot wait to play the absolute shit out of it. 

(and D64) 

I love both versions🤓

23 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

.....a game breaking flaw that will "tarnish" the Doom name.

I should clarify that I didn't mean those are game breaking flaws or will tarnish Doom's name, I think I made that clear in the last sentence, but fair enough.

13 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

[Side step]

Shoot

[Side step]

Shoot

And shoot

Press exit.

Again, that things define shooter as genre. Take them away and you left with adventure game from 90.
Take fatalities from Dums and you lost medikits from enemies and several seconds from every advertising videos.

I can't wait to see what this thread looks like in two weeks when the game is out. It's gonna be hilarious.

9 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

I can't wait to see what this thread looks like in two weeks when the game is out. It's gonna be hilarious.

Wait, you mean it isn't already?

But anyway, I agree, it's gonna be a good time to read the million reactions the game will stir, including the predictable ones :D .

1 minute ago, seed said:

Wait, you mean it isn't already?

But anyway, I agree, it's gonna be a good time to read the million reactions the game will stir, including the predictable ones :D .

You know ;) 

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Take fatalities from Dums and you lost medikits from enemies and several seconds from every advertising videos.

Again another example of "it has elements that isnt in classic Doom therefor its objectively bad"

I fail to see anything objectively bad with Fatalities. other than it take 0.5 seconds of my life. kinda like how killing a baron in classic Doom takes twice the amount of time than it should.

also Dums?  really? you know it's trolling when Kindergarten name twisting is involved.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

They'll still think it will suck and justify that people who like it "Don't know any better" or "Only played CoD which made Doom Eternal look good"

Literally the only thing I'm worried about with Eternal is how exploratory it'll be. Doom 3 was rigidly linear, which was improved upon with Doom '16...so I expect Eternal to push it further. But the gameplay videos suggest it's still a combat-first experience, which makes me feel like id has forgotten about how much fun mastering the layout is.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Literally the only thing I'm worried about with Eternal is how exploratory it'll be. Doom 3 was rigidly linear, which was improved upon with Doom '16...so I expect Eternal to push it further. But the gameplay videos suggest it's still a combat-first experience, which makes me feel like id has forgotten about how much fun mastering the layout is.

Hopefully it is expanded upon in Eternal. Doom 2016 at least had that in bite sized pieces i.e. getting familiar with an arena's vantage points and escape routes so that you don't get boxed in.

Now I wanna see that with the rest of the levels in Eternal.