Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsunstealer

Does anyone else think this game is going to suck?

1 minute ago, sluggard said:

(Oh god, new page D:)

This new page of replies betrays everything that was great about the previous page of replies. Quite frankly it's insulting, and any man of proper culture can tell how inferior it is.

What was so great about the last page exactly? (apart from some replies) did you even read what I said, I love it when people try to act superior like that....

Just now, sluggard said:

What was so great about the last page exactly? (apart from some replies) did you even read what I said

I was taking the piss out of the knee jerk reaction of declaring that Doom Eternal is going to be absolute trash when it's not even come out yet by applying the same attitude to a new page of discussion posts that hasn't even gone post one post yet.

8 hours ago, warman2012 said:

If you are unceremoniously trying to spite me, its YOU who wasted YOUR money on pure BS. I actually posted my two cents for the ones on the fence who might actually be intelligent enough to recognize this game as trash and thus not buy it. My words were not for you.

Insulting our intelligence for not shaming the game based on our absolutely zero gameplay experience is a perfect example of how to lose an argument. Good job, mate!

image.png.8472d8e1336d648ca1f14938a1f7ecff.png

Lmaoo anyways; I dont know. It might suck. It might be good. Could be both?! We'll have to wait and see.

6 hours ago, qdash said:

I still think it's going to suck. Goddamn Super Mario with gibs. Over the top fanservice shit can't save this game for me. I know masses now blowing out from trailers, but I still remember how "good" was Rage 2 and now I can see that all of this means. I don't wanna see tons of cutscenes after platforming and million glory kills on boring arenas, it's not Doom for me. You can say I'm wrong if you want, but I don't care. Mid budget overhyped alone sci-fi FPS game on market.

Yeah this super mario nonsense is bad. I want to see gritty realism like Battlefield 5 and Advance Warfare. Not this cartoonish game

5 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Yeah this super mario nonsense is bad. I want to see gritty realism like Battlefield 5 and Advance Warfare. Not this cartoonish game

Better try to resolve some criticism from D2016 rather than leave them out, IMO.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

The run limit should be like 3 secs, because realism on the armour and weapons, and you only can have 2 ligth guns or 1 heavy gun.

I think the Mario comments may have something to do with the fact that 1 ups were a concept from beta/alpha Doom later removed, possibly replaced with the Soul/Megaspheres while score bonuses where replaced with health/armor bonuses. (since Doom was like an "answer" to Wolf 3D and ROTT was techically the opposite and more of W3D's spiritual successor)

I don't mind the platforming because i see movement being part of Doom and the same goes for level hazards and traps, so i can see that as something part of that specific portion.

I think the issue with colorfull pick ups might be that even thought Doom 1/2's were always colorfull, they still felt like in-universe items in some way and didn't have big bold letters or a certain type of glow.

I also wished question marks had a more specific design like a treasure box from Hell or the Sentinels.

Something that i'm still not a fan of is the RPG menus with upgrades and the weird tree system, since that felt like a weird trend in AAA game devs do because they don't know what else to do with the core gameplay's depth or balance.

Some stuff could be pick ups or power ups. (while faster glory kills should be somewhat default)

I also still don't see the point of making armor behave like a second health bar, which is one of those things that feel like going backwards.

And then there's the arena lockdowns which limit the variety in combat and affect the level progression but i hope enemy placement is more creative and at least boss fights can be seen as an upgrade.

I think the problem with the lore is how much it may alter the setting and whether or not it feels like what you think Doom is or if someone at id could try making a new series.

Doom's Hell was never faithfull but the "story" behind Hell wasn't really touched upon besides the demons and levels' visuals. (so in comparison, Eternal feels more like a mix of sci fi and fantasy, with some Joe Mad/Warframe esque visuals where religious/biblical references feel less common)

One could argue that if the Mancubus' backstory was being a representation of the sin of gluttony or based on someone's nightmares, it could be more interesting than a UAC experiment or maybe not.

I fear that the new lore and universe mean there's some stuff that could have fit the series but won't happen because they just don't fit the reboots.

Whether it's story, art style or even gameplay.

Maybe it could be even different executions on concepts from these new games like a different kind of Heaven or something.

Maybe it could even involve executing cut ideas like a Doom 3 expansion that makes something good out of the cancelled Doom 4.

There are concepts related to Doom that sound great but may never happen, that not even modding can "realize" it.

Because i feel like reboot Doom and Doom 3 are technically different takes on a series, with their own DNA's and style and everything. (they also feel like the opposites of each other)

It's neat when they bring back some old things but also when new things happen.

There would have to be some limits on how much you can do with Doom until a true identity crysis happens, but there's probably a lot of potential in the actual franchise before we can leave it to rest in a respectfull way.

Besides the fact old Doom still lives with mods and all, there's also the fact that the new Doom's have good enough ideas, they even inspire gameplay mods for old Doom.

They also sort of increase crossover potential in a way that Doomguy could have a proper moveset for something but at the same time, i fear his crossover portrayal would be limited to just the modern games when previous games still have values and important things worth keeping. (funny enough, turns out id wasn't even approached on Smash, by Nintendo)

Be it story or gameplay or even art style, there's a lot of ways to expand Doom, since we can even see that in mods and fanart, like fanmade redesigns.

It's a series that is fun to experiment but at the same time, it's also worth checking its DNA and identity.

Sometimes, i keep thinking about that MatthewMatosis clip about Doom and i feel like he could make a video about what other opinions he could have had about the series, whether or not it'd be similar points to anyone here or something you'd agree or disagree.

I can see why some people won't like the games, specially because i know there will always be some things i disagree with, but i still expect these games to be good.

Even if still flawed and not as Doom as some people think.

Sometimes, Doom 3 can be more Doom than the reboot games, depending on how you look at it and what you consider Doom to be about.

Another thing with not liking the new games is that, because the identity is different, people will view it in a different way, whether or not is a bad thing is subjective.

It's also interesting how a franchise so iconic and important was even tied that heavily with the fanbase.

Even at a side effect of most people being more likely to have alternate/different views on the series, whether or not it's influenced from whatever port they used or something else.

I hope the fanbase continues strong and keeps getting stronger, because i also hope new fans carry the torch of what made the fanbase special.

A fear of mine is if corporate/brand loyality/"i clapped when i saw it" behavior becomes the norm. (sounds ridiculous i know but still)

I also wonder what could things be like if Doom 2016/Eternal came before Doom 3, as in, switching the release periods of those games.

It's also interesting that the new games are influenced by Doom's pop culture and memes, but i wonder if they'll soon move onto more obscure references, considering how many times you can say "rip and tear" until it gets a bit old. (canonize the skulltag taunt sound)

I guess in some way, the new games being different may help to make someone realize what old Doom actually is.

The old games aren't perfect and we can see the flaws but at the same time, a different between old and new is that one came in a time of a satanic panic and was influential, while the other was a breath of fresh air but still a bit trendy.

Boy, what a long fucking post, Jesus, i don't even think i spell most of my comments well at all or said anything new at all.

Maybe i could have the same comments about how Hell looked in classic Doom or something.

If you ask me, I don't really mind the RPG elements in FPS shooters, if they are done right.

Giving id Software a chance to add in elements from their previous games isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Something else that worries me about the game is the variety of enemies and their abilities, considering the arena lockdowns, enemy placement and the effort put into the player's arsenal.

The Whiplash's role seems to be more about his snake-like model and his whip, if he's supposed to do something nobody else does.

Some enemies even share certain attacks and i'm not sure if the Arachnotron's grenades are even grenades. (because i haven't seen anyone else with grenades)

At least the Revenant's homing rockets return, sort of.

This makes me worried about the Archvile too.

It's like another contrast to classic Doom where enemies were dumber in AI but their gameplay roles were more specific, that if you play FreeDoom or any other conversion/mod/wad that radically changes enemy sprites and sounds but keeps gameplay, you could still tell which vanilla Doom enemy they represent.

Either Eternal's enemy variety is more subtle or done in a different way i'm just not paying enough attention to, or there's something holding back potential ideas that could have lead to more variety.

Be it tech/engine limitations, creativity, the locked arena fights themselves or even just the focus on making the player feel powerfull leading to some possible regressions.

I mean, there has to be some ideas they could come up with, even if it means looking up other games or someone's mod just for inspiration.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, qdash said:

I still think it's going to suck. Goddamn Super Mario with gibs. Over the top fanservice shit can't save this game for me. I know masses now blowing out from trailers, but I still remember how "good" was Rage 2 and now I can see that all of this means. I don't wanna see tons of cutscenes after platforming and million glory kills on boring arenas, it's not Doom for me. You can say I'm wrong if you want, but I don't care. Mid budget overhyped alone sci-fi FPS game on market.

ha I was just going to post my thoughts and read this. We have similar opinions except I’m going to reserve judgement for later. This was my planned post:

I have no idea if it will be rubbish.

I have some high hopes, but also some worries. My main worry is the skill level requirement which seems born out of fan-service. I hate fan-service. The game seems very busy. Rage 2 I think had a perfect mix of "lots of powers to manage" vs enjoyable fun. The combat there is about perfect for me.

Eternal seems aimed for twitch shooters and Quake veterans.

The only other thing I actively dislike are the floating weapons and powerups, and the ludicrous environmenal puzzles (at times). Like the Mario-esque swinging flaming spikes. That's stupid.

What im getting with most of the criticism with Eternal is less "this is objectively bad" and more "this is not what Doom is for me".

Its fair to not like certain features but to say Doom Eternal is going to objectively "suck" because its does not fit OUR interpretation of Doom is silly to me.

The gameplay will be probably fun but my main problem with the game is the tone, Doom 2016 at least tried to keep it serious and had really good atmosphere but everything about Doom Eternal feels like a Saturday morning cartoon, here’s a few quotes from the developers from a Polygon interview

“There’s a Saturday morning cartoon quality to the tone of everything,” Hugo Martin, Doom Eternal’s creative director, said to begin our interview. “Because, I mean ... it’s Doom.”

“Imagine if Sam Raimi made a true sequel to Evil Dead 2, but he had Avengers budget. That’s what Doom is,” Martin said, making it clear this concept of big-budget pulp has been a topic inside the studio throughout development.

In the game, the Doom Slayer (i.e., Doomguy) has a headquarters that is like a castle floating in orbit around Earth. 

Its name? “The Fortress of Doom,” Martin exclaims. 

“Why? Because it’s fucking awesome, that’s what it needs to be called.” And so it is. “Everything about Doom is done with a wink and a smile, even as you’re breaking the femur of a demon and shoving it in his face ... or one of the arm bones.” 

“The tibia,” Stratton adds, laughing.

I wonder if we are talking about the same Doom series here.

Some people are so addicted to complaining, they get more joy out trashing a product they haven't tried than, you know, actually trying the product first.

while I get what you're getting at, $60 can be a pretty big investment for something you're not sure you're going to like, especially when that $60 could go to so many other experiences one might enjoy more, so it's not strictly as easy as "trying it"

Of course there are ways to get around that. If you have a friend who has it, you can play their copy to try it out. You could wait for a sale, and I'd assume maybe the console versions would be available to rent?

2 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

People who like to complain and trash everything what they see, it's just they love it in secret <3

"It-it's not as if I like you or anything, Doom Eternal-kun. Baka..."

9 hours ago, johanness said:

The gameplay will be probably fun but my main problem with the game is the tone, Doom 2016 at least tried to keep it serious and had really good atmosphere but everything about Doom Eternal feels like a Saturday morning cartoon, here’s a few quotes from the developers from a Polygon interview

Doom 2016 has collectible figures, satirical codex entries, hilariously over the top executions, a protagonist that breaks the 4th wall by spitting on plot points, a self aware mega corporation, a narrator that is literally Dr. Claw, and has a phrase from a goofy ancient comic as the tagline for the whole game. 

No, it didn't try to be serious.

Sure, it had some satirical elements but it was grounded in Doom 3 style horror atmosphere and visual design. Most of the plot stuff, references and lore were out of the way or hidden in the codex. I think they hit the right balance there.

For Doom Eternal it seems like they wanted to game to be over the top and goofy from the start. Like with the lore being front and center with 3rd person cutscenes, visual design where everything is glowey and video gamey. Bowser’s Castle -style jumping puzzles and level design instead of sticking to realistic environments.

I guess that’s fine for some people but that’s doesn’t feel like the Doom I have always played.

Maybe I will get used to it after playing the game and it will be fine but from all the footage I’ve seen it feels like a step in the wrong direction.

I agree that Doom Eternal looks more cartoony and less serious than DOOM 2016, but I tend to draw the opposite conclusion from it - I think it may well make Doom Eternal feel more like playing the first two Doom games.  DOOM 2016 often felt like a departure to me because of the emphasis on wave-based combat and realistic-looking environments as opposed to the abstract nature of the original games.  I'm prepared to be proved wrong of course!

Playing 2016:

When I heard the words "Be worse than they [demons]" on the loading screen, I left the game and deleted it.

Being worse than the evilest evil doesn't make you hero.

IMO Doom eternal goes the same way

And there simply is not any sense to play either 2016 and eternal.

21 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Playing 2016:

When I heard the words "Be worse than they [demons]" on the loading screen, I left the game and deleted it.

that is probably the most bizarre reason for not playing 2016 that I've ever seen

It's not even the correct quote, or even a loading screen. Nothing about your post was correct. 

56 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Playing 2016:

Are you joking?