Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nukeykt

Port of the PC version of Exhumed/Powerslave

The PC version is really a different game from the Saturn/PlayStation versions. The two console versions have their own differences, but they're still the same game, on the same engine, with the same gameplay elements. The PC version was rebuilt from the ground up, using the same assets but completely different gameplay mechanics as they used the Build engine instead of porting the original SlaveDriver engine.

It's kind of like comparing Doom 3 and Doom Resurrection.

The thing I can't get over is how the protagonist doesn't have a consistent voice. "That's right", "who's next", "see ya!", etc., all these voice clips sound like different persons.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

The thing I can't get over is how the protagonist doesn't have a consistent voice. "That's right", "who's next", "see ya!", etc., all these voice clips sound like different persons.

I thought the same thing too. "That's right" sounds like Caleb while "see ya!" sounds like Barney the dinosaur.

Looks like they also fixed the strafing. I hope later down the line, they might add the Shotgun hidden in the game files (bottom of page 1 in the spoiler).

Oh crap, you're right. I skipped the bottom post saying someone made those with the game palette. Still, it's a great set of sprites.

Edit: speaking of things I didn't notice, what's up with the ammo belt on the left of the M60, and why does it disappear and reappear at random times?

Edited by Chow Yun Thin

nice... the other modern port... whats its name... does not work on windows 10 because there is no proper mouse support

I really miss me some powerslave/exhumed

I think the other port that was being talked about is BuildGDX, but AFAIK its Powerslave/Exhumed support is nowhere near finished yet.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

I think the other port that was being talked about is BuildGDX, but AFAIK its Powerslave/Exhumed support is nowhere near finished yet.

There was a "power ex" game that I found in a corner of the internet that was complete, but lacked the ability to use the mouse in Windows 10.

But the author took it down. Likely because it did not require the original game. I will not post links for obvious reasons.

That was a port of the console version. This one's a port of the old PC version which is very different.

That was an excellent video @Gez, I never knew the difference between versions.. the fact that the PS1 and Saturn versions were so much more in depth with the level progression is surprising. I remember picking the PS1 version up many times, but never bought it, which looking back was probably a shame. 

The differences between the PS1 and Saturn level wise was interesting as well, the Saturn levels looked amazing compared to the PS1.

The PC version looks very weak compared to the console versions.

Playing through the game with PCExhumed, I have to say this version isn't that much of a slacker either, there's still some platforming and trap setups, just in a smaller per-level scale, you're not gonna be revisiting levels with extra powerups or anything like that, but the visual design of the levels stands up to par, I think the only part about this version I don't like is sound design, but that may be because this port is unfinished and doesn't seem to be playing some sounds.

Cool!! I've never played this game before at all. Now that a source port is out, i can finally get around to trying it! A big thank you to the guys at the Duke forums! (i'd say it there but i tried making a few accounts and for some reason it just won't let me).

PC version maps are far superior to the maps of the console version who are too flat and symetrical. (See the map with treasures everywhere, it's just room/corridor/room and not only this one).

And you have more details in the textures on the PC version, enemies doesnt just explode when you kill them (death/falling animation of the Anubis solder in the PC version) which create a better atmosphere for me.

People said the console version better only because it has a metroid-like system and not just like a doom clone but when i played Exhumed console, i was sad, the maps are far easier than the PC version and far more simple in the landforms.

Play Exhumed PC version, after 3 or 4 maps, the level design and atmosphere will impress you more than the console maps. ;)
Just because it's like a classic doom doesnt mean it's inferior also 3D floor doesnt do everything.

Map of Exhumed ps1:

Spoiler

A map from Exhumed PC:

Spoiler

The jumping/flying system on Exhumed ps1 is maybe the reason why they didnt make a complex relief and based the stuff on "long jump" and flat plat form but the atmosphere of PC version impressed me more because of that, landforms and hard maps =)

Edited by Manhs

Both versions have mediocre map design. The PC version's levels are much more intricate, but I still feel they are poorly thought out and aren't that much fun to go through (past the first few anyway). The console version has some absolutely nasty stuff and there's no checkpoint system. Lots of trollish crap at the end of levels, only to kill you instantly and make you do the entire thing over again. Side note: Even the PS1 and Saturn versions have different level designs from one-another. Neither has any respect for the player's time.

For the set of enemies and weapons, i think they did pretty well, the first maps of the PC version are obviously less good than after 3 or 4 maps (first map is like an intro map who is straight forward), same with a lot of retro fps.
Or its just me but i really enjoyed the landforms of the maps of the pc version and the maps were scaring because it was long, hard and the atmosphere/details like i said, maybe there was some limits with the amount of different enemies or other but they did still a big work on it with BUILD i think.
At least compared to a lot of other old fps, i don't think the PC version deserve that.
Shadow Warrior 97 was more random in the level design sometimes by exemple, some platform here and here with nothing around. I enjoyed some of the first maps but some like the Sumo map was meh.
Doom 2, some maps too or we can take Witchaven level design.

2 hours ago, Manhs said:

or we can take Witchaven level design.

Wait, Witchaven had level "design"? Well that's news to me, for the most part I just ran around looking for a halberd and trying to not fall through the map. 

I kind of jest, as you said there's certainly some bad maps in Doom 2. I mean, Dead Simple? That's not a level, that's a box. That's something that would be laughed at if an amateur released it. The Chasm gets quite a bit of hate, but I actually enjoyed the height variations and fighting on the tiny walkways. And with Shadow Warrior, the levels in the Shareware version were pretty good. But once you get to the full version it feels pretty hit or miss. Same with Blood's fourth episode, that really becomes a slog, especially considering how great the first episode is. For the expansions they did step up their game, but the end of that fourth episode is just... badly designed. It lacks all character that the first two episodes had. It just becomes a mess of flesh textures and crushers. Duke 3D did manage to keep up it's level design throughout the game, as far as I can recall, so I credit them for that. Episode four of Quake, I personally enjoyed, liked the bluestone textures, but it really did seem rushed. At the time it felt more abstract than rushed, but yeah, today it seems like it was just rushed.

I think people do tend to look back at the games they grew up with as being wonderful, perfect things, but there was plenty of bad level design back in the 90s as well. It really just boils down to how good is the mapper, and how much time/money they have to finish the game.

I mean for his time (90's), they did a good job with the early version of BUILD when they made Exhumed PC maps and his stuff (architecture). Some maps can be really complexe compared to some other old retro fps, especially after a few maps, saying mediocre about it is rude. 
But yeah we can compare with the mapping of nowadays but that's not the point.
And even, i played it some years ago and refinished it, i still thought it was pretty enjoyable for a build game, not only about nostalgia. 

Edited by Manhs

1 hour ago, Manhs said:

saying mediocre about it is rude. 

I don't care how complex a map is. I care about how fun it is. And Power Slave's level design is not fun.