Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slagdagger

What is Boom?

Hello, i'm completely new to the Doom community and have only started playing player made WADs and Mods. ive been using GZDoom for my source port (idk if its even called that) and when i read most .txt files in map WADs, they say something along the lines of 'Boom compatible' or use 'Boom"

So my question is, what is Boom? XD as you can see int the title.

yea its a source port. many many ports are based off of it, one of the most popular modern ones being PrBoom+

22 minutes ago, Slagdagger said:

they say something along the lines of 'Boom compatible' or use 'Boom"

In modern times, this is shorthand for 'designed for and tested with prBoom+'. prBoom+ is a port commonly used these days. The old port Boom 2.01 doesn't run all modern 'Boom-format' mapsets, which have grown more ambitious since Boom's heyday. For various reasons, the term stuck and shifted anyway. 

As to whether to heed the instruction literally, it's up to you, and whether you want the more classic experience or the GZDoom gloss and frills. Maps designed for prBoom+ will nearly always be fine in GZDoom, a relation that can be generalized: maps designed for [most restrictive compatible port] can be played in any [less restrictive compatible ports]. 

1 hour ago, Slagdagger said:

ive been using GZDoom for my source port (idk if its even called that)

Yeah GZDoom is just a game engine that supports wad files at this point

On 11/22/2019 at 7:02 AM, Slagdagger said:

Thanks haha.. i figured this wasnt the best place to ask XD

Just so you know in future, this is actually the perfect place to ask if you ever want to know random Doom tidbits. Usually the wiki has the answers, but sometimes not if the question is obscure enough :)

I came back to this thread to see the new replies and now I'm thinking of this song:

What is Boom?  Baby don't frag me.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:13 AM, xvertigox said:

If you want to go deep:

These are fun! Watched some and then forgot, now watching this.