Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

Portals with connected structure.

Question

Trying to make sector portal connection in a map where the structure leads around together somewhere.   I've read that using a single portal is actually a case of infinite recursion and GZDoom disables it, but that an intermediate portal should solve that.   So one area I have the top of the pit which portal connects to middle pit totally disconnected from everything else and that portal connects to the bottom of pit.   The idea is you can travel down through this pit and then can walk around through the map back to the top of the pit.   There's going to be something else to this pit, but that's the basics. 

With the middle to the bottom connection, GZDoom says there's displacement mismatch and will be disabled.   So I fall into the middle area and I'm standing on an invisible floor as it renders the bottom area it disabled the connection to.   I disable my top to middle portal, and then middle to bottom works by itself.   I delete some piece of a hallway to disconnect everything and whole triple portal works fine. 

So is the only solution to make a line portal somewhere to achieve what I want?

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Trying to make sector portal connection in a map where the structure leads around together somewhere.   I've read that using a single portal is actually a case of infinite recursion and GZDoom disables it, but that an intermediate portal should solve that.   So one area I have the top of the pit which portal connects to middle pit totally disconnected from everything else and that portal connects to the bottom of pit.   The idea is you can travel down through this pit and then can walk around through the map back to the top of the pit.   There's going to be something else to this pit, but that's the basics. 

With the middle to the bottom connection, GZDoom says there's displacement mismatch and will be disabled.   So I fall into the middle area and I'm standing on an invisible floor as it renders the bottom area it disabled the connection to.   I disable my top to middle portal, and then middle to bottom works by itself.   I delete some piece of a hallway to disconnect everything and whole triple portal works fine. 

So is the only solution to make a line portal somewhere to achieve what I want?

For sector based portals the combined offsets between two sections need to be identical through all possible paths, direct or indirect. If the top of the pit and the bottom of the pit are in the same contiguous part of the map the setup cannot work. You'll have to break up that part and somewhere add a non-linked line portal, preferably in a place where monsters cannot go.

It is possible

I am working on a map Where I have 2 portals that connect both ways to each other and a third that is a oneway Ticket to One of the other portals. The third is in the same area as the second portal

Monsters can not reach the 3 portal but they use the others