Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpius

DOOM: Perdition [now on /idgames]

13 hours ago, CacoLemon said:

I think I solved the riddle. When I change Compatibility Mode from Default to Doom (strict) or Boom (strict), then it works as it's supposed to do. The exact setting seems to be Use Doom's point-on-line algorithm. It has to be set to yes.

But I'm still curious to know what causes the different behavior on different skills.

Ah, of course! That is my default setting mode, Doom (strict). I will modify it for a later update to work in other compat modes. I don't know about the difficulty behaviours. Maybe because there are many more on UV?

I played the first 2 maps and part of the secret one, until i die and stoped playing.
I had to say that i really liked your tributes.
E4M1 its Hell Beneath with a twist. I like it.
E4M2 is UTDWID E4M1 with a little of Doom 2 Map29. Pretty good and captures the spirit of Perfect Hatred nicely.
E4M9 is Fear with Attack from the Master Levels, and you meshed them together properly.

I like what i had seen soo far, this episode reminds me the awesome Wonderful Doom that Wraith made a time ago.

Edited by P41R47

Hi! Me again...

Now on map 7 I got the same problem as on map 4, only this time it doesn't work with either compatibility mode. Killed everything except these 13 fellows that won't come out of their boxes (see picture).

wfIVis7.jpg

On 1/8/2020 at 2:52 AM, P41R47 said:

I played the first 2 maps and part of the secret one, until i die and stoped playing.
I had to say that i really liked your tributes.
E4M1 its Hell Beneath with a twist. I like it.
E4M2 is UTDWID E4M1 with a little of Doom 2 Map29. Pretty good and captures the spirit of Perfect Hatred nicely.
E4M9 is Fear with Attack from the Master Levels, and you meshed them together properly.

I like what i had seen soo far, this episode reminds me the awesome Wonderful Doom that Wraith made a time ago.

Thank you! Never heard about UTDWID, I'll check it out soon.

14 hours ago, CacoLemon said:

Hi! Me again...

Now on map 7 I got the same problem as on map 4, only this time it doesn't work with either compatibility mode. Killed everything except these 13 fellows that won't come out of their boxes (see picture).

wfIVis7.jpg

I am already aware of this but thanks for bringing this up. It's due to a missing teleporter destination thing, my bad. Will fix soon.

1 hour ago, Scorpius said:

Thank you! Never heard about UTDWID, I'll check it out soon.

I am already aware of this but thanks for bringing this up. It's due to a missing teleporter destination thing, my bad. Will fix soon.

You never heard about Ultimate Doom The Way Id Did?

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

You never heard about Ultimate Doom The Way Id Did?

Yeah, lol. I was never really active until recently. I thought my E4M2 starting design was something I've never seen before but I guess I am wrong. :/ 

Hi Scorpius, I was looking for a wad to play and stumbled upon yours. I have to say, you've really impressed me as a level designer. I have yet to play the episode in its entirety (I've played through the first 4 or 5 maps so far in one sitting), and a couple of them--the castle one "Purgatorium" and the one that came after that--really impressed me. However, I was a bit disappointed with the first level and the fifth one. The first one feels almost like you just opened E4M1 in Doom Builder, and asked yourself how you could make it more visually appealing. Obviously there's more that went into it than just that, but it's so similar to the original map that it felt boring to me, even if it was well-designed and looked great. For example, Plutonia's Map 32 is basically just Doom II Map 1, but the gameplay is obviously radically different, as is the choice of colors. If you're going to make a level that is very familiar in future, perhaps it might be more fun to intentionally deviate from the expected level design in some way, as to throw the player off. Likewise, your E4M5 is too similar to one of the maps from John Romero's Sigil.wad. Great level (apart from getting stuck in the blue switch elevator which you are already aware of), but the same thing's been done before. By contrast, I found that the more innovative/original levels were much more of fun to play through, and those demonstrate your excellent level design skills. The secrets felt (mostly) rather clever yet not too obscure to find, combat felt great, ammo/health were plenty (on Hurt Me Plenty, have yet to try UV), and the maps look gorgeous. In particular, I really liked the "Exit" room in some of the levels, e.g. making use of vanilla lighting effects and scrolling textures to create the illusion of a teleport. I always find it much more interesting to see vanilla effects used in new ways, rather than a tech demo for whatever the latest GZDoom engine has to offer. I look forward to the rest of the wad and any other maps you have planned in the future. :)

P.S. DtWID is grossly overrated, with the large number of mappers contributing to wildly inconsistent quality in the level design. I like Perdition so far much better than any of the DtWID wads.

24 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

Hi Scorpius, I was looking for a wad to play and stumbled upon yours. I have to say, you've really impressed me as a level designer.

Hello and thank you! It's one way to try and get into the gaming industry. :)

26 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

I have yet to play the episode in its entirety (I've played through the first 4 or 5 maps so far in one sitting), and a couple of them--the castle one "Purgatorium" and the one that came after that--really impressed me.

That's one of my favourites, always wanted to make a castle level similar to AV Map23.

27 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

However, I was a bit disappointed with the first level and the fifth one. The first one feels almost like you just opened E4M1 in Doom Builder, and asked yourself how you could make it more visually appealing. Obviously there's more that went into it than just that, but it's so similar to the original map that it felt boring to me, even if it was well-designed and looked great.

I was worried this was the reaction I would get for this and E4M5, and I honestly did see it coming too. There isn't an excuse for E4M5, just wanted to make that type of abyss level myself. As for E4M1, I did make it too similar to original, but I guess that was the main idea. Something recognizable to start off with. I started it off very different but went off into a "let's make it look too familiar" direction, still happy with it though.

32 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

If you're going to make a level that is very familiar in future, perhaps it might be more fun to intentionally deviate from the expected level design in some way, as to throw the player off.

I will be sure to try this in the future, thanks for the suggestion! :D

33 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

The secrets felt (mostly) rather clever yet not too obscure to find, combat felt great, ammo/health were plenty (on Hurt Me Plenty, have yet to try UV), and the maps look gorgeous. In particular, I really liked the "Exit" room in some of the levels, e.g. making use of vanilla lighting effects and scrolling textures to create the illusion of a teleport.

The secrets were fun to make, I tried to avoid the "look for a different texture to find the secret" trope wherever possible. Same goes for the exit rooms, was experimenting on different ways to make the exits unique without using plain exit switches.

If there's too little or too much ammo and health, be sure to let me know!

36 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

I look forward to the rest of the wad and any other maps you have planned in the future. :)

P.S. DtWID is grossly overrated, with the large number of mappers contributing to wildly inconsistent quality in the level design. I like Perdition so far much better than any of the DtWID wads.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the rest of the WAD!

P.S. I didn't mind DTWID, I liked it. It feels strange but great for my first outing to be compared to a megaproject like that. :3

Thanks for the reply to each part! I wasn't expecting one so soon. Just came back to Doomworld because I forgot to mention that the custom music you used really kicks ass! I love it. Did you make it yourself?

10 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

Thanks for the reply to each part! I wasn't expecting one so soon. Just came back to Doomworld because I forgot to mention that the custom music you used really kicks ass! I love it. Did you make it yourself?

I unfortunately did not, sorry to disappoint. I don't have the skills to make custom MIDI music yet. Here are the tracks I used, you may notice a pattern:

E4M1: Sign of Evil (Doom)

E4M2: Deep Into the Code (Doom)

E4M3: Demons on the Prey (Doom)

E4M4: Goin' Down the Fast Way (Rise of the Triad)

E4M5: Shipwrecked (Blood)

E4M6: You Suck (Rise of the Triad)

E4M7: Plasma (Duke Nukem 3D)

E4M8: Retribution Dawns (PSX Doom)

E4M9: Run Like Smeg (Rise of the Triad)

Edited by Scorpius

Hello,

I tried to run the wad on PrBoom+ but it crashes with an error, even though this wad says it's Vanilla Compatible and that it has been tested with PrBoom+.:

R_InitTextures: 296 errors

How do I run it in PrBoom+? My version is v2.5.1.4

4 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

Hello,

I tried to run the wad on PrBoom+ but it crashes with an error, even though this wad says it's Vanilla Compatible and that it has been tested with PrBoom+.:

Are you using the command line? It should work if you use: "prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom.wad -file perdition.wad"

If you are dragging and dropping it onto the executable, you may need to move the other IWADs somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Hello,

Are you trying to run it in doom 2 or something?

A New Update Emerges!

Whoah. Wha-huh? A new update, already? Sorry, I'm going to be busy with my next project. I figured I should give this one last update before I move on to the next project. I hope that everyone had a good time playing this, and thank you for downloading it so far!

I have spent some time fixing and crushing several bugs away that were brought to my attention. I even went ahead and implemented new, additional stuff! A lot of these changes and additions are minor details and small things in various places. The full changelog has been added to the original post, if you are interested. Here's a brief overview of fixes and changes:

• E4M1: Fixed missing texture, added more teleporting lines and additional items.
  • E4M2: Fixed cacodemons deaf in caves, added metal bars to imp cage near first baron.
  • E4M3: Fixed monsters stuck in teleporters, added details in yellow area and a special easter egg. :)
  • E4M4: Fixed player stuck in secret #4 and monsters stuck in teleporters, modified exteriors to buildings.
  • E4M5: Fixed player stuck behind blue pillars, rearranged stalagmites, trees and decoration for easier movement.
  • E4M6: Fixed sector 128 stuck in position and HOMs outside building, added some detail on embedded red cliff.
  • E4M7: Fixed monsters stuck in teleporters, added missing torches, additional items and more monsters.
  • E4M8: Fixed cyberdemon towers not lowering, changed out of place ceiling flats for continuity.
  • E4M9: Fixed player stuck in pit by red door and HOMs in central hub.

That's pretty much it, I will let this rest in the catalogue of DOOM1 Wads to play. Feel free to make demos by the way, I am very intrigued to see how you can beat my maps fast! I am still open for feedback and criticisms, and will report on any other issues. Meanwhile, I just noticed that I never shared any screenshots of the Deathmatch maps, here they are in all their glory:

Spoiler

E4M2: Desolate Blur

Screenshot_Doom_20191215_165153.png.0d357d0f6c892acb9ab1bad61d437cb4.png

E4M6: Odyssey

Screenshot_Doom_20191217_104613.png.6355cd9da0a39b461e80b737c445e973.png

E4M9: Triage at Dawn

Screenshot_Doom_20191218_183828.png.0c501e4ab46ea963040fafd86d18f703.png

Once again, thank you for playing DOOM: Perdition, and I'll see you in my next project. Adios!

Great, thanks for the update! Just finished Perdition three days ago. I'll gladly play it again as soon as I find the time.

15 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Once again, thank you for playing DOOM: Perdition, and I'll see you in my next project. Adios!

Awesome! Good luck, and I hope your next project is for Doom 2, I'd like to see what you do with the extended bestiary.

Congrats on the release and looking forward to whatever you cook up next :)

This was a fun little episode!

This wad was fun - I like the similar level elements used, that I could anticipate (to an extent) what to do on the first run.  Like map 7 expect to find a 4-way teleporter in the middle somewhere, and sure enough it's there!

The original E4M1 is hard enough to start being given a shotgun before enemies teleport in - to have to kill some first with the pistol first before grabbing a shotgun, is pretty nasty, a nice twist.

Couple issues to report - I have gzdoom latest version

• map 6: picking up the yellow key, wall opens up though the barons are stuck and don't move.  Once one is dead, then the other finally starts moving around and attacking.
  • map 6: Then after passing through the yellow door, raising the gates inside & passing through to the red door, if I walk back to the yellow door, the gates lower down and I cannot find a way to raise them back up - or is there an alternate way to get back on the other side of the gates where the red & blue doors are?

21 minutes ago, adamadam said:

This wad was fun - I like the similar level elements used, that I could anticipate (to an extent) what to do on the first run.  Like map 7 expect to find a 4-way teleporter in the middle somewhere, and sure enough it's there!

The original E4M1 is hard enough to start being given a shotgun before enemies teleport in - to have to kill some first with the pistol first before grabbing a shotgun, is pretty nasty, a nice twist.

Couple issues to report - I have gzdoom latest version

• map 6: picking up the yellow key, wall opens up though the barons are stuck and don't move.  Once one is dead, then the other finally starts moving around and attacking.
  • map 6: Then after passing through the yellow door, raising the gates inside & passing through to the red door, if I walk back to the yellow door, the gates lower down and I cannot find a way to raise them back up - or is there an alternate way to get back on the other side of the gates where the red & blue doors are?

Thank you for notifying me of these issues, will fix these ASAP. There is no alternative way around, those bars shouldn't come down twice, my bad.

Map 6: Once you grab the blue key the bars are lowered again in the pre-exit area, and there's no way to raise them again. Make the switch that raises them multi-use perhaps?

20 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Map 6: Once you grab the blue key the bars are lowered again in the pre-exit area, and there's no way to raise them again. Make the switch that raises them multi-use perhaps?

I am going to assume for now that you are talking about this:

On 1/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, adamadam said:

If that's the case, I am already aware and working on this issue. It's got nothing to do with the blue key, it's a design error on my part. I included an extra walk action to close the bars again on accident, will remove this in the next update. Thanks for posting anyways!

24 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I am going to assume for now that you are talking about this:

If that's the case, I am already aware and working on this issue. It's got nothing to do with the blue key, it's a design error on my part. I included an extra walk action to close the bars again on accident, will remove this in the next update. Thanks for posting anyways!

Oops, my bad, it has already been mentioned!

7 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Oops, my bad, it has already been mentioned!

Lol its good, sometimes I need reminding. Memory is not my strong suit.

Also, I forgot to mention that on map 5, there are four barons that don't teleport into the bfg area. My guess, judging by the automap, is that the teleporter closets are too small for them to actually cross the linedef properly.

15 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Also, I forgot to mention that on map 5, there are four barons that don't teleport into the bfg area. My guess, judging by the automap, is that the teleporter closets are too small for them to actually cross the linedef properly.

I'll examine tomorrow (or later today).

Map 7: how on earth are you supposed to have enough ammo for all three cybs? Is there a way to telefrag them?

40 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Map 7: how on earth are you supposed to have enough ammo for all three cybs? Is there a way to telefrag them?

There should be enough ammo for everything. There is a massive stockpile of plasma cells near the middle cyberdemon. I've had no trouble killing everything with the ammo provided, just gotta find it all. And no, there isn't a way to telefrag.