Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpius

DOOM: Perdition

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Where do you find that "nightmare" font that you used for the title?

I use Bitmap Font Writer for WILVs and EPI4, it can be found here: http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/bmpfont/

I can't remember where I found the fonts but I can provide them if you want them: fonts.zip

 

Doom-Big-Red-BLOODY is the nightmare font, but I'm sure I didn't need to state that. :)

Share this post


Link to post

A spiritual successor to my favorite episode of Doom? Count me in. Screenshots look amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post

December Mini-Update

 

Most of the maps are complete, just two more to go! I feel confident that I will get this done before Christmas, therefore I have set out a release date: December 18th. The wait is not long now! Anyways, here are some more screenshots, enjoy. :)

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191201_114901.png.800de0613b207e2213a1ff2e189c170d.png

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191201_114911.png.5f652fcf5eb390adffc66e5ffe68c13c.png

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191201_114855.png.a2f9c121346a420f94684ef3daf0aab4.png

 

Screenshots taken on E4M1, E4M4, & E4M5, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post

Last screenshot remains me a lot of one of the levels in sigil.
I'm really looking forward for this.
Thy Flesh Consumed is my favorite episode in all Doom and something in that vein is a must.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Last screenshot remains me a lot of one of the levels in sigil.

 

Kind of a funny story about E4M5. I came up with the idea of a "void" type level before SIGIL was announced. I just had no idea how to make it work, until I played SIGIL. I then used it for inspiration, not necessarily for the visuals, but for the general layout and gameplay. It is also my favourite level from SIGIL.

Share this post


Link to post

Those screenshots look amazing. Particularly the second one in the OP. Strong E4M1 vibes from the first screenshot in the update post as well (But different shapes).

Share this post


Link to post

December 4th Update

 

E4M6 is now complete! Just one more to go.

 

Here is a lovely screenshot of E4M6:

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191204_194516.png.987219e193e067d98b5a3ebf888c1b65.png

 

In other news, I've now been using Chocolate Doom to test Perdition to better suit the engine limitation of Doom and have already fixed several bugs. A couple of HOMs in E4M3 and E4M9 wiped away, and a visplane overflow in E4M3 removed. There are still very slight HOMs in E4M3 and a visplane overflow occurring on E4M5, neither of which I will remove at expense of scenery. I've now starting working on E4M7 again, after losing faith on the original E4M7 map. I will provide any other updates in the future!

Share this post


Link to post

I made the first of the three deathmatch levels yesterday for E4M2. I decided to record myself making the map for 3 hours, sped it up to last 10 minutes. If you are interested, here is that timelapse video: 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, Scorpius said:

December 4th Update

 

E4M6 is now complete! Just one more to go.

 

Here is a lovely screenshot of E4M6:

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191204_194516.png.987219e193e067d98b5a3ebf888c1b65.png

 

In other news, I've now been using Chocolate Doom to test Perdition to better suit the engine limitation of Doom and have already fixed several bugs. A couple of HOMs in E4M3 and E4M9 wiped away, and a visplane overflow in E4M3 removed. There are still very slight HOMs in E4M3 and a visplane overflow occurring on E4M5, neither of which I will remove at expense of scenery. I've now starting working on E4M7 again, after losing faith on the original E4M7 map. I will provide any other updates in the future!

If you're having trouble with HOMs and visplane overflows, you can just test in crispy doom and make this a limit-removing project.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

If you're having trouble with HOMs and visplane overflows, you can just test in crispy doom and make this a limit-removing project.

 

Thanks for the suggestion and advice, I was completely unaware of crispy doom prior, don't ask me how or why. When I started this project, it was intended to be limit-removing. All maps, with the exception of E4M1, would have decent amount of detail. One day I thought to try and play it in Vanilla (chocolate doom) to see if it was remotely playable, and I was rather surprised at how brilliantly it held up. I decided to turn this project into vanilla thereafter and no major problems were encountered during playtesting, except for the visplane overflow in E4M5. This only occurs if the player runs out of the map through lava - which is marked by floating skull rocks - and looks back at the buildings. And I used to have problems with HOMs in E4M3, E4M6 & E4M9 but I have since then fixed all that I can find.

Share this post


Link to post

Happy Birthday, DOOM!

 

DOOM, the holy mother of grandeur, is now 26 years old! And the 2019 Cacowards are here, god damn.

 

To celebrate this occasion, I have planned ahead and decided to release the first half of Perdition! This includes E4M1-E4M4 & E4M9, and I am looking to receive any feedback, criticism, suggestions, and advice. I am both nervous and excited to finally unveil half of my half-a-year's worth of work. Still got some work to do and I will keep you all updated. So for the time being, I really hope you enjoy playing! The download link is on the original post. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Just played through the first 4 maps, and I must say, this is quite good. The first map seemed like a simple edit of e4m1, and while it was a nice homage, it did not prepare me for the quality of the rest of the maps. These first 4 maps can be quite oppressive, cramped spaces brimming with Cacodemons, Barons, and even a few Cyberdemons. Sort of like if Thy Flesh Consumed had actually kept up its mean streak past e4m2. Coincidentally, the second map was my favorite, feeling like "The Living End" meets "Perfect Hatred." Perfectly Romero, mean and kinetic, much like his later works in Doom 2 and Sigil. Meanwhile, e4m4 feels like a sandy peterson sandbox with many optional areas, each structure tightly packed with its own gimmick and demons to battle. I'm really quite impressed, for a first outing, this is incredibly fun, and I can only hope, the rest of the set follows suit. That being said, I do have a gripe with the earlier maps, there seems to be a bit too many monster blocking lines, this can be especially troublesome with barons blocking doorways with which I have to sink my constantly diminishing shotgun ammunition, shotgunning barons is not particularly entertaining, and I wish the player had more options to avoid, and evade these mandatory doors with health. Other than that, stellar stuff, keep it up! I look forward to the second half.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Just played through the first 4 maps, and I must say, this is quite good. I'm really quite impressed, for a first outing, this is incredibly fun, and I can only hope, the rest of the set follows suit. Other than that, stellar stuff, keep it up! I look forward to the second half.

Thank you, it feels great to know that my work isn't total rubbish.

 

18 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

The first map seemed like a simple edit of e4m1, and while it was a nice homage, it did not prepare me for the quality of the rest of the maps.

I fully acknowledge that E4M1 is too alike the original. Kinda worried that people would say it was like a "simple edit". I wanted the first map as simplistic and authentic to Hell Beneath as possible, hence little detail. I was aiming to provide something recognizable before throwing the player into the bigger, tougher maps.

 

18 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

These first 4 maps can be quite oppressive, cramped spaces brimming with Cacodemons, Barons, and even a few Cyberdemons. Sort of like if Thy Flesh Consumed had actually kept up its mean streak past e4m2.

I could not have put it better myself. This was exactly what I wanted from the beginning. All the Thy Flesh maps after E4M2, with the exception of E4M6, is stupidly easy, I definitely could not have that here...

 

18 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

That being said, I do have a gripe with the earlier maps, there seems to be a bit too many monster blocking lines, this can be especially troublesome with barons blocking doorways with which I have to sink my constantly diminishing shotgun ammunition, shotgunning barons is not particularly entertaining, and I wish the player had more options to avoid, and evade these mandatory doors with health.

I am assuming you are talking about E4M2 and E4M3 (if not, let me know). I am just going to point out that I rarely use monster block lines, with the small exception of E4M3. I use these block lines to stop monsters from walking on the bridges that raise and lower, thus preventing them from breaking. I have removed most of the block lines, more specifically the ones that prove to be problematic for players. In terms of ammunition, I will try to implement more health and ammo to ensure players don't run out of ammo so fast.

 

Thanks again for the feedback, I am always trying to improve upon myself and make it better than ever.

Edited by Scorpius

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for playing and making these videos, really cool to see other people's strategies for these maps! It's very helpful hearing the feedback and criticism. In regards to some of the minor issues, I have set the doors tracks to lower unpegged, didn't realize the difference with them on and off until now. I have fixed the demons in that instant trap to actually walk out the room, that Baron can now walk down out of the viney room, and the Pinky stuck on that narrow walkway. I'm being more careful with texture alignment, something I never really bothered with prior. I know people don't like those instant traps so I pulled it back into the far end of that room so hopefully players don't run into them at full speed, losing tons of health (and even death) in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Thanks for playing and making these videos, really cool to see other people's strategies for these maps! It's very helpful hearing the feedback and criticism. In regards to some of the minor issues, I have set the doors tracks to lower unpegged, didn't realize the difference with them on and off until now. I have fixed the demons in that instant trap to actually walk out the room, that Baron can now walk down out of the viney room, and the Pinky stuck on that narrow walkway. I'm being more careful with texture alignment, something I never really bothered with prior. I know people don't like those instant traps so I pulled it back into the far end of that room so hopefully players don't run into them at full speed, losing tons of health (and even death) in the process.

 

Awesome! I hope to play the rest of the maps this weekend. I'll send videos when I've finished.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×