Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

NaturalTvventy's BOOM Tutorials 01: Using BOOM's light glow/fade

49 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

The monster will then open the door and trigger the effect. You'll of course want to teleport the monster into your map after unless you are cruel and want to make 100% impossible.

You can make a dehacked monster that has like only one frame of animation (with A_Chase on it so it can decide to open doors), and does not have the COUNTKILL flag. Sacrifice something like the redundant marine corpse, give it the sprite of the gray stalagmite, there you go. You need BEX to put a codepointer to a state that doesn't normally have them, but it's fine since it's for a Boom feature anyway.

You need at least two states for that - one with A_Look and another with A_Chase.

But you can do it without sacrificing any states. Just give that dummy actor the see and spawn state of the zombie, and leave the rest empty. As long as it cannot be seen, who cares how it looks?

Since it's an opening door which triggers the effect you can have fun with it. You can release new enemies into your map through the doors while also brightening an area.

Nothing brightens my day like a monster closet. Heuheuheu… sorry, I had to do it. This is really cool though, thanks for sharing! I'm always happy to find new sources of BOOM tutorials and techniques, it's a format I know very little about.

I feel like you could create some cool effects with this using a teleport trap setup where walking over a linedef opens the first door and then the monsters in the trap open a secondary (very tall) door with a D1 Open Stay action. Could make for a cool effect outdoors or something?

This reinforces the fact that I should start Boom/MBF mapping rather than just limit-removing.

Edit: Just saw that @NaturalTvventy posted basically the same idea - good stuff.