Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spie812

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin, a new Quake-engine game from 3D Realms, is now in early access!

It has been great so far! Levels are huge but their save system accounts for it. More unique and solid than I was expecting and I was already expecting a lot! :)

It's pretty fkn good. Movement is fast and fluid (love the charge + strafejumps) and the SSG is legit. It's definitely worth playing but I can't comment on whether it's better to wait till it leaves EA or not yet.

Wrath02.jpg.f145d0d016342d192763c5e051c561ff.jpg

Only had a quick play, but already seems pretty sweet. If you happen to own Ion Fury then you can get a nice little discount on steam.

Edited by Urthar

Looks really fun... hmm, I wonder how long it will live in the unholy dimension of early access. That flying creature at 0:25 is giving me serious Doom 64 Pain Elemental vibes. Loving the designs of the enemies and environments! 

looks so good! crazy to see how much it's changed since the initial project post on Doomworld many years ago (though I'm sure it was crossposted elsewhere too). this game might be the push I need to finally start playing around with bsp mapping

Yeah I decided to get it and have been playing it. Still a little roughness there to be expected, but its really fun and really impressive. The weapons are all really great, and the landscape and atmosphere are top notch. I love whats possible in gaming when a company chooses to focus on what they can do artistically with quality tech instead of just using the newest tech to try to look photorealistic only to still fall headfirst into the uncanny valley. 

16 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

I'm waiting for the full release.

I lied. I went ahead and bought it already. Damn this is pretty cool so far.

5 hours ago, KillPixel said:

@kristus 110% agreed.  We're making it harder and adding a fourth difficulty.

@Spooner5020 glad to hear it!  we're working on a patch currently that should fix and improve many things

Can I ask what inspired you to use the Quake engine? I’ve always really liked it and found it to be a very underrated engine. Also do you plan on the main character staying silent or will he have a voice later on?

@Spooner5020 I went with the quake engine because it sort of fell into my lap.  Long story short, I was getting into playing quake again and noticed z-fighting in the original maps so I joined a quake forum to ask what the phenomena I observed was (didn't know about z-fighting at the time) and was told the way to fix it was to fix the maps.  This exposed me to map making and the fact the tech was open source.  I realized if you could make maps, you could make textures, models, sound, etc and make a complete game, so I went for it.

I did a quake podcast like a year or so ago, where I go into more detail about the history of wrath.

The protag is silent.

AeonRuin.jpg.d13ebc6d98c2800c390c00459b4d0361.jpg

Playing Wrath in a super-crunchy 320x180 palettized with anti-aliasing and shadows.

After playing the Early-Access more, I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts and opinions.

Weapons

I found I don't use the alt-attack on either the Shotgun or the Fang Spitter. With the shotgun

I'm not really sure what the alt-fire achieves, it has a long fire delay without any particular

benefit. Likewise the Fangspitter, which feels a bit sub-par to begin with, doesn't seem to become

particularly more effective when alt-fired. It might be if cool these two weapons had some kind

of mobility effect instead, for example a grappling hook or a guaranteed enemy stun.

I tend to stop using the Coach Gun as soon as I find a Fang Spitter. Maybe occassionally I'll shoot

a few breakables with it or test for secrets.

That said, the weapons are fun and satisfying to use, look and sound good and have cool utility.

Monsters

The Invader has a tight spread on it's shotgun attack, and other monsters have fairly high speed

projectiles with a long range, which tends to nudge the combat towards cover shooting and choke

point camping at times.

Unlike Quake's Fiend, the Executioner's charge can't really be dodged. I guess you can sometimes

use the terrain against him, but often it's case of just tanking the damage and burning him down

as quickly as possible.

On the whole the monsters have some awesome designs, with the Heretic and Stricken being

particularly terrifying.

Power-Ups

The inventory system works well for the save-game and rebreather item, but otherwise I tend to

forget about the combat power-ups, because they're awkward to access and activate in the middle

of a fight.

Levels

Large, sprawling and beautiful. The catacombs occassionally feel a bit samey, but otherwise great stuff,

and a joy to explore.

Bugs & Glitches

'Invert Mouse' resets when you change level. Some of the sprites such as trees and flames display a line

along their top edge when being mip-mapped.

4 hours ago, Urthar said:

Likewise the Fangspitter, which feels a bit sub-par to begin with, doesn't seem to become

particularly more effective when alt-fired. It might be if cool these two weapons had some kind

of mobility effect instead, for example a grappling hook or a guaranteed enemy stun.

Alt fire of the Fang Spitter does stunlock flying enemies.

5 hours ago, Urthar said:

'Invert Mouse' resets when you change level.

I hope that gets fixed! I play inverted and having to fix it every level would drive me nuts.

It definitely looks the part and lets the Darkplaces Engine sing. More importantly, its basically the Quake like successor in terms of looks compared to Quake.

Back in 1996, it was Duke 3D vs Quake.

Now in 2019/2020, its going to be Ion Fury and Wrath. Except this time, 3D Realms has a meddling in both :)

Most people probably already saw it, but here it is now in this thread too.

Wow, they use a really old version of the engine. Though since they don't use much in terms of advanced graphics features I guess they aren't missing terribly much.

2 hours ago, kristus said:

Wow, they use a really old version of the engine. Though since they don't use much in terms of advanced graphics features I guess they aren't missing terribly much.

yeah, newer versions had worse performance, some substantially so.  we experimented with many versions and forks, like xonotic, and they all had their own issues.  this one performed the best and the few problems it had we fixed ourselves.

So far I'm completely loving this game. The only real nitpick I can think of is that adjusting the mouse sensitivity also affects the menu cursor. I like playing with high sensitivity so it makes navigating the menus more difficult.