Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

"On They Slay" My Final Map for the Year

I cannot even begin to explain how awesome this last month has been for me. Thank you to everyone who's checked out my years of hard work! I've listened to your reviews, watched your playthroughs and I have to say, the Doomworld community is very supportive and I appreciate it so much. So, as a token, I've taken your advice, listened to what you guys said and made this final map that I hope you will all enjoy entitled "On They Slay". Please tell me what you think! See you with a new one in 2020!

-Map is best compatible with gzdoom.

-looks best in OpenGL

-single player only

-remember that the blue key opens two doors not just one

Screenshot-Doom-20191122-134120.png

Screenshot-Doom-20191122-134307.png

Screenshot-Doom-20191122-134256.png

Screenshot-Doom-20191122-134100.png

Screenshot-Doom-20191122-134137.png

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/theyslay

Edited by Dubbag

Awesome map dude! A challenging but fair map with a nice amount of demons to slaughter. There is a ton of detail that makes the place seem like a real world location. Unfortunately, I found a few minor bugs you may want to check out.

• The outdoor area where you get trapped in the small building as enemies swarm in and around has that lift where arachnotrons and a baron spawn. You created a subsector for the spawn location which doesn't react to the lift action, leaving an untextured, invisible pillar. You can easily fix this by removing the subsector and tagging the main sector as tag 14 (tried it myself in DB2 to be sure).
  • There's at least two deaf hellknights in the spawner rooms in the hellish sections of the map (the RROCK05 area) that are impossible to kill, making 100% kills impossible. There may be more monsters like this, so I'll keep my eye out for them.
  • Same room, the wall that lowers has untextured lower back sidedefs creating the "flat bleeding" effect. Not very noticeable, but it is there so you may want to texture that.
  • Same room, there's an inescapable pit adjacent to that same wall on the south side.

I still haven't found that third secret, but I reckon I'll play the map a few more times for the fun of it, and I'll add to this post if I find more bugs. I look forward to your maps for 2020!

Edited by Arkdoodle

7 hours ago, Arkdoodle said:

Awesome map dude! A challenging but fair map with a nice amount of demons to slaughter. There is a ton of detail that makes the place seem like a real world location. Unfortunately, I found a few minor bugs you may want to check out.

• The outdoor area where you get trapped in the small building as enemies swarm in and around has that lift where arachnotrons and a baron spawn. You created a subsector for the spawn location which doesn't react to the lift action, leaving an untextured, invisible pillar. You can easily fix this by removing the subsector and tagging the main sector as tag 14 (tried it myself in DB2 to be sure).
  • There's at least two deaf hellknights in the spawner rooms in the hellish sections of the map (the RROCK05 area) that are impossible to kill, making 100% kills impossible. There may be more monsters like this, so I'll keep my eye out for them.
  • Same room, the wall that lowers has untextured lower back sidedefs creating the "flat bleeding" effect. Not very noticeable, but it is there so you may want to texture that.
  • Same room, there's an inescapable pit adjacent to that same wall on the south side.

I still haven't found that third secret, but I reckon I'll play the map a few more times for the fun of it, and I'll add to this post if I find more bugs. I look forward to your maps for 2020!

Thank you so much for playing and loving the map so much man! For a second there I though that It might have gone unnoticed here. Thank you for reporting the errors. They are now fixed! Tell me if you find anymore.

theyslay.zip

Tried to 100% the map again, and couldn't so I went on a bit of noclip trip to see what was up. Also did some more doombuilder snooping. Here are some findings:

• Missed a few of those lower textures causing flat bleeding. Two lines:  6246, and 6247.
  • Deaf pinky spotted. See screenshot in zip file below.
  • Deaf hellknight spotted. See screenshot for location.
  • Misaligned texture. See screenshot.

Another thing, the switch room where the cockroach face is on the floor has few issues. It isn't clear that the player can lower the platforms with the shotgunners on top, and the left one is tagged incorrectly. If I can suggest something, it would be to do away pressing use to lower them and instead make them trigger by a walk action instead. That way the spectres can ambush the player. There'll be a screenshot in the folder if I'm a bit unclear.

Screens (2).zip

OK so,

-Fixed all problems. No more flat bleeding in Hell dimension.

-No more deaf monsters

-ok now this is the weird thing. Earlier in the construction of this map, I ran into an issue in Doombuilder 2 that I could not figure out. Very rarely, certain textures would align perfectly in 3d mode but then they would be misaligned in the game. I have no clue why that happened so I just replaced the texture.

-took plasma rifle out from blue key room that leads to "cockroach" labs and left the one where you get attacked by revenants. (realized that have two, one after the other made that path redundant.)

-Created "WR-lift lower wait rise" for specter ambush.

try it and tell me what you think. Thank you for taking the time to find all these errors. I don't know how i missed so many. I literally spent an entire day walking through the map writing down errors on a note pad to go fix later. some obviously got by me. Thank you

theyslay.zip

Good work. I did another 100% run, and everything was fine until I found another deaf monster on a noclip trip. I also forgot to mention a few sectors that are hurt floors which I kinda doubt you intended. I'll provide some more screenshots to show you, or I can make the edits if you like.

BTW, the last pinky in line is the deaf one in the screenshot.

Also, don't worry about not finding all the errors yourself. One time, someone streamed one of my levels and found a way to completely break it. Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes.

screens.zip

On 11/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, Arkdoodle said:

Good work. I did another 100% run, and everything was fine until I found another deaf monster on a noclip trip. I also forgot to mention a few sectors that are hurt floors which I kinda doubt you intended. I'll provide some more screenshots to show you, or I can make the edits if you like.

BTW, the last pinky in line is the deaf one in the screenshot.

Also, don't worry about not finding all the errors yourself. One time, someone streamed one of my levels and found a way to completely break it. Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes.

screens.zip

Completely Finalized Version. All bugs and errors fixed, and recent observations taken into consideration. Thank you all! Please check out this updated fixed version and tell if you you enjoy it better.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/theyslay

Edited by Dubbag

Had a lot of fun with this one - seemed like the fights actually got easier as you go along - last few fights with BFG etc getting to let loose was a blast - over all great time with 1 or 2 not great fights, made up with a bunch of other great fights - sorry for the weird audio

thanks again for checking it out buddy glad you liked it so much

thanks for playing. And holy shit you got mad. Don't blame you though that one trap was bullshit I shouldnt have done that lol oh well

Edited by Dubbag