Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

46 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

However, one thing I would also say I "hate" is the invulnerability filter. Picking up the ol green orb and having my eyes suddenly assaulted by pure, blinding white everything is not fun. Even less so when it starts running out and the blinking makes me feel like I'm about to go into a seizure. Maybe my eyes are just sensitive, or maybe I spoiled them too much with "dark themes" on websites, all I know is that picking up a god sphere is always a bittersweet feeling because of the garish filter.

I have some good news for ya then.

I agree though, I like the effect but lately I found it hitting my eyes pretty hard, especially when I'm in a very dark room and then I pick an invul up... damn it.

2 hours ago, kaleb. said:

how lost souls take 2 shotgun shots. it should really only take 1

No wonder some community wads and maps reduce the HP of the Lost Soul. It kinda made sense in the first Doom game in a way (considering when the demon is introduced and other factors), but it became kinda ridiculous with Pain Elementals introduced in Doom 2, but even there is not that big of a problem (because they were honestly not that common in my opinion).

It's when we get to certain community maps, Plutonia and TNT that shit gets real. I think there the Pain Elementals and Lost Souls can be very annoying threats.

But even then I wouldn't straight up remove those from the roster. They give the games a fair amount of variety and can be interesting if the mapper knows how to place them in fun situations.

10 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The one thing I hate in classic doom is what I call "the fucking safety pin", which is in effect when you switch from say the SSG to rocket launcher or BFG. The game just doesn't let you hold down fire and the shots go off, no, you have let go of fire, and then press it again before something happens. That shit made me develop the habit that is "rapid spam clicking" whenever I switch to RL or BFG in order to get the weapons to fire as soon as possible when I swap weapons mid-combat, and I honestly wish that was a habit I didn't feel "encouraged" to develop, but there it is, and I hate it, I really do.

See, when you're a total scrub like me, that safety pin feature on the rocket launcher has actually saved my butt from committing suicide more times than I can possibly count xD

I can understand the frustration, though. Especially with the BFG.

The Cyberdemon having no animation for when he's about to start firing. Nearly every other monster has a split second animation that alerts you that it's about to attack. The Mastermind/Arachnotron glow a little before their volley, telling you that it's time to take cover or react to the stream of plasma. Revs, Mancs, and all the projectile throwers have a transition animation between pacing around and attacking you. Hell, even Sergeants lift their weapon before shooting, allowing you to dodge into cover if you're quick to react. The Chaingunner, Caco, and Cyber are the only ones that seem to have no proper transition between shuffling around and shooting you in the face. One of the reasons Cacos are annoying to punch compared to Hell Knights or Revenants.

No so much hate, but I have never liked the convention whereby the final level of each episode / chapter / the game is built around a throwaway gimmick. It's a waste of a level slot. Imagine if E2M8 had a brutal fight against a couple of hundred baddies and then you had to face the Cyberdemon. Long after the surprise has gone it's just a boring level to play. Also, I almost hate "firing rockets into a hole" maps because they're just aggravating.

I dislike the way the plasma cannon gun cannon rifle gun cannon gun's projectiles continually hit wall and door edges. Off the top of my head Brutal Doom makes the projectiles much smaller, which makes the plasma gun cannon rifle cannon gun rifle cannon gunnnnnn much more useful.

I used to dislike the way that Id continued to sell Doom and Doom 2 as full-priced games even into the 2000s, but I actually like that now because for £2.99 or however much they cost people on Steam can play a little bit of history.

It's hard for me to look at Doom objectively, but I'd have to say I don't like how D2 dedicated its secret maps to basically an extended tribute to a previous Id game - I mean there's a bunch of custom wall textures and even two exclusive enemies (that are both stupid in their own ways) that are all in service of "remember THIS game??" I personally think that Easter eggs (even though that term wasn't around back then) should only be a small secret part of a level, and not two whole copy-and-pasted levels from an older game.  Not very original.  Barrels 'O Fun and Tricks and Traps should've been the secret maps, and then, I don't know, three more maps each from Sandy Petersen and John Romero to bring it to thirty-six to be divided into four episodes and BOO-YAH!!!!!!

The wildly inconsistent art.  I give a tremendous amount of credit and respect to the effort of not only physically modeling all of the monsters to then manipulating and massaging them to make rotations for all of them.  This was no small feat to be sure.

The spiderdemon and the mancubus cannons in certain rotations are the worst offenders.  Most monsters blend together well but the model origins of the mastermind are extremely apparent.  The hanging body sprites and textures also stand out.  And to be fair to the artists I think the ability to run Doom in very high resolutions on modern ports compounds the issue.  300x200 probably went a long way in disguising this.

The absolute worst offenders are the weapons though.  The pistol, shotgun idle frame, ssg, rocket launcher and plasma rifle idle/firing frames all work well together to my eye.  The shotgun pump, chaingun, plasma rifle cool down and BFG all have a photo-realistic (for the time) look to them that is completely out of place.  The shotgun alone is particularly bad because of the inconsistencies in the sights and barrel/mag tube length between the frames.

These may seem trivial as they're only onscreen for a fraction of a second at a time but to the OCD sufferers among the community, once they are seen they can never be unseen.  Apologies to all the people that pointed out the ssg pixel.  Hopefully these won't keep you up at night now.

That reminds me, the fact that Doomguy has gloves on when holding weapons but takes them off when he wants to do some punchin'.  And also that he's left-handed punching and using the pistol, but right-handed for everything else

EDIT: I'm an idiot. He's total lefty

Edited by Maximum Matt : D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenants, Chaingunners and Archviles.

Revenants should be forcefully turned into bonemeal.

Chaingunners need their chainguns rammed right up their backsides and then fired a-la Postal 2 cats.

Archviles? Force it to listen to ALL of Justin Beiber's music, full blast, 10 hour loop for EVERY SONG with NO BREAKS. :)

I may or may not have a massive hatred for these three sadistic demons from hell.

Damage resistance being based on the last type of armor you picked up instead of the amount you have. It could be abused to a player's advantage, sure, but it's still kinda shitty how blue armor at say, 50% gives higher resistance to damage than green armor at 200% that was increased to that number by armor bonuses. The only way most people would know about this is by reading some guide or wiki.

Also, hitscanners. They're not all that hard to fight, and they're not nearly as bad as some other shooters of the era, but they still can fuck up the combat's pacing. I find it more fun to go up against Pain Elementals and Revenants over Arch-Viles, Chaingunners, and even Shotgun Guys.

22 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Revenants should be forcefully turned into bonemeal.

Chaingunners need their chainguns rammed right up their backsides and then fired a-la Postal 2 cats.

Archviles? Force it to listen to ALL of Justin Beiber's music, full blast, 10 hour loop for EVERY SONG with NO BREAKS. :)

Ok so wow.

This exclusively involves official releases. Most source ports don't have this problem...

Hate is a strong word, ,but one thing that really irritates me is the lack of the -iwad command line switch. Having to merge pwads with iwads with deusf was bad enough, and if you want to run mods on vanilla you'll end up with a lot of folders because the game only recognizes one iwad at a time. It's amazing that despite how small a quality of life change the -iwad switch is, it allows for a vastly different organization structure that doesn't involve duplicating executable files (granted, -iwad alone still would have required deusf... but that's what -merge in chocolate and the fixed up -file in modern source ports is for)

Infinite tall height. You get used to it though so i don't really hate it tbh. I usually play with it on turned on in GZDoom as i'm actually quite used to it.

I still can't really comprehend the overhead map either in Doom so i use the GZDoom one but not with it fully textured. I'm still trying to learn what everything means.

I still suck at dealing with Archviles and i hate the homing rockets that the Revenants have but i don't necessarily hate Archvilles or Revenants. I just suck with dealing with them.

22 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

long-lasting red screen after you take massive damage

20 hours ago, ketmar said:

red tint with berserk pack is really annoying.

10 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

one thing I would also say I "hate" is the invulnerability filter. Picking up the ol green orb and having my eyes suddenly assaulted by pure, blinding white everything is not fun. Even less so when it starts running out and the blinking makes me feel like I'm about to go into a seizure.

9 hours ago, seed said:

I have some good news for ya then.

I agree though, I like the effect but lately I found it hitting my eyes pretty hard, especially when I'm in a very dark room and then I pick an invul up... damn it.

8 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

The visual effect of the invulnerability sphere

This little mod runs in vanilla, chocolate, prboom, basically anything that isn't part of the zdoom family: https://doomshack.org/wads/see_easy.wad

It makes the red effect from pain/berserk transparent so it isn't so blinding, and it makes the invulnerability a much more pleasant yellow/green tone. I also find the full blood effect and the invulnerability to be very painful on my eyes but I've been autoloading this little mod for many years now. Of course, zdoom-family ports have the ability to turn down blood brightness, but I'm not sure how each one handles the invluln effect.

11 hours ago, kaleb. said:

They only take one SSG shot :) Dying in one single-barrel shot makes them even more pathetic than they already are!

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It makes the red effect from pain/berserk transparent so it isn't so blinding, and it makes the invulnerability a much more pleasant yellow/green tone.

now, you reminded me that i wanted to make invuln colormap customizable for a long time. it is already possible to customize berserk tint in k8vavoom (althrough you have to know the proper cvar for it), but not invuln effect.

10 hours ago, okbuddy said:

Apologies to all the people that pointed out the ssg pixel.  Hopefully these won't keep you up at night now.

I always assumed that was just Doomguy's hand/finger. It bothers me not.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

but I'm not sure how each one handles the invluln effect.

ZDoom derivatives handle the effect the same way the other ports do, but fixed so that is affects the sky too.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

They only take one SSG shot :) Dying in one single-barrel shot makes them even more pathetic than they already are!

It'd be such a shame for the blockmap bug to show up, wouldn't it :p ?

Decent and great map packs turning into slaughter wads halfway through for no apparent reason.

Either be a slaughter wad, so I can stay away, or don't, so I can play all of you.

Guest Unregistered account

I once suggested that lost souls should keep their 100hp, but when charging they're twice as vulnerable which could introduce some reflex skill into fighting them; you'd have to wait for them to charge and blast them quickly. I wouldn't gut them because I think they're awesome

Nothing I really hate. Just small things, like infinite height, lack of things like worldspawn to easily set music/etc., no generalized actions, choppy weapon animations, but there's so much more to love about the games. I'd even say Vanilla map limits taught me to design around limitations from an early age

When I attack a group of ennemies with an infighting arch-vile among them and the vile redirects its attack to me at the last moment.

Archviles. I fear them more than Cyberdemons. Their attack is over-powered, then they have to go and resurrect corpses that act as meat shields.

1 hour ago, beast said:

Archviles. I fear them more than Cyberdemons. Their attack is over-powered, then they have to go and resurrect corpses that act as meat shields.

Which is where the BFG comes in handy. AV's only become a problem if there's several of them at once or they get spawned into a room full of corpses (think Plutonia MAP21 as a good example)

On 11/23/2019 at 6:07 PM, Spectre01 said:

The Cyberdemon having no animation for when he's about to start firing. Nearly every other monster has a split second animation that alerts you that it's about to attack.

This was specially painful in that SF2011 map you had to kill them in narrow somewhat short corridors, since one or the other kept pacifically approaching me til the end of the corridor, and squeezing next to them meant splash damage on the butt. You get used to that near lack of transition from walking to attack mode, because it's the same old monster, imo it's the number one cause of tension in very intimate quarters, but with custom enemies I typically roll eyes, e.g. cybruiser variants except Valiant's, possessed marines from Resurgence, Mayhem purple, and we're not bringing the original version here, you know which one. I have yet to see how annoying the evil trooper from The Trooper's Playground can be. Anyways, those mess up with my reflexes to the point I feel like I have to be two miles away to not get instantly shot in the face, which doesn't feel like actual combat.

Auto aim. It REALLY does not work well with rocket launchers.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, kaleb. said:

It could be worse. They could blow up at your face the moment they touch you.

1 hour ago, ZealknightMR said:

Auto aim. It REALLY does not work well with rocket launchers.

Yeah it really goddamn sucks wasting rockets trying to kill an enemy on a ledge above you and the autoaim isn't kicking in.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:32 PM, Roofi said:

When I attack a group of ennemies with an infighting arch-vile among them and the vile redirects its attack to me at the last moment.

Yeah, you're in the thick of it, then it's like "he's lighting up an enemy, now's my chance!!" and you take a shot at it, only for it to blast you immediately down to 4% health