Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

hell-themed maps. unconvincing and uninteresting for me. i'll sell all hell levels for one more techbase!

Well none of these are "absolutely hate" but I'm going to list my "strongly disliked things about Doom":

1. the pistol...pretty much useless after you get the shotgun, or any other weapon for that matter. Shouldn't be this way. It's the one thing i would really change about Doom. Give it an extra perk, a reason to use it again. Maybe a zoomable scope or a way to rapid fire like Project Brutalities's revolver. Some kind of charge shot might have been a good idea too. It's the weakest part of the game. Would have been a good balance if it were the best weapon for handling Lost souls. 

2. Invulnerability tint....just sucks. Shouldn't make things harder to see. 

3. Berzerk tint...again, things are harder to see. Some kind of infra-red would have been cool. 

4. the fact that Invulnerability / LA goggles/ berzerk/ radiation suit etc. don't have a timer count down when you use them. Would have been really helpful. (I know some customs HUDs have that now, BTW)

5. Arachnotrons are way too loud. Hate it.

6. Some monsters don't have their own individual sounds when roaming / being attacked. (eg. lost souls) Missed opportunity.

7. Lost souls are too difficult to kill and do too much damage. Can totally ruin a level. 

8. mandatory health pickups. Makes me fucking furious to have to pick up a medikit when I'm at 99%....right?

9. Over use of Archvilles in a level / mega wad. One per map is enough FFS.

10. The BFG. I think it sucks. Really. (Sorry folks). I would have preferred something less cheap and more controllable like a powerful straight laser beam weapon or a timed-bomb maker or something. The BFG should best the best weapon in the game that you want to use the most, but i always prefer the plasma rifle or rocket launcher or SSG. 

I hate how Doom (and other games) was, and has been to this day, blamed for shootings that have occurred mostly in America. Especially the incident at Columbine.

Yeah I don't think I've heard that one yet on this topic. Probably the biggest one here. Something I don't understand is how there wasn't much controversy surrounding Quake. It was closer to the Columbine shooting, it was fully 3D (and more realistic). I guess because Doom has a "cooler" atmosphere with the midi rock soundtrack and what not would appeal more to them. Why am I still talking about this?

Apparently the shooters of Columbine made their own maps for Doom and I guess the media picked up on this and decided to use the game as a scapegoat.

I myself have never felt like shooting anyone after playing any of the Doom games.

Well they also blamed music like NIN and even Marilyn Manson, plus various movies of that era so they would have found something to focus on.

Just like in the mid 90s when all the FMV games were on PC, games like Ripper and Harvester and of course Night Trap. According to some people those games would poison the minds of young people and cause them to do terrible things.

Terrible people do terrible things. Adolf Hitler, Ted Bundy, etc. I doubt they ever played games so what made them do what they did?

I would think violent games takes away need to be agressive in real life. You can blow stuff up virtually. Same as agressive music relieves anxiety and such.

21 hours ago, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

I've always wondered what they would of blamed it on if Doom hadn't been made.

They would've simply dug up their interests/preferences or something, inevitably find something to stigmatize, and bang, there's a new "controversy".

When a wall or door lowers and 500 revenants all wake up at that moment. I don't mind the fight (fighting revenants is fun!), but I'd prefer my ears to not explode, thanks.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, Jaska said:

I would think violent games takes away need to be agressive in real life. You can blow stuff up virtually. Same as agressive music relieves anxiety and such.

Exactly. There are psychological defense mechanisms people use when they are under stress. It is much more healthy to play a game, talk about it, or work it out at the gym than it is to get into an argument or act out in other physical and possibly harmful ways. Violence in videogames is a topic that by now there have been numerous studies on, and there is no real link to be found. People who are violent will be attracted to violent media, of course. A psychopath, however, has a mental split from reality which causes them to have no compassion or empathy for their fellow human beings, which in extreme cases can lead to violence. 

Cacodemon corpses, vertical aiming not working at long distances, infinitely tall actors (only vanilla element I turn off).

When I perfectly circle strafe a Hellknight / Baron in close quarters, but he manages to volley his projectile almost perfectly behind himself.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:27 AM, 3saster said:

When a wall or door lowers and 500 revenants all wake up at that moment. I don't mind the fight (fighting revenants is fun!), but I'd prefer my ears to not explode, thanks.

The start of map 8 of Plutonia is a total ear-bleeding moment

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO THIS IN BDV21. I HATE THE FACT THAT IT'S SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT IT PISSES ME OFF ESPECIALLY SINCE EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCK BUTTON DO I PRESS GEEZ 

MAISA2A8.png

on another note I hate it when I die from a lesser monster (imp, pinker, lost shit)

Edited by Jason

• infinitely tall actors
  • the safety pin NiH describes
  • the eternity that it takes to switch weapons. I think the game is a lot more fun when switching is (near) instant
  • auto switch weapons on pickup

That the barrel of the plasma rifle and the bfg are the same. I dont know why it annoys me but it does. If thats my least favorite thing in doom then I guess I really like it then.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I hate it when I die from a lesser monster (imp, pinker, lost shit)

Isn't it depressing whenever you die to a trooper?

On 12/1/2019 at 12:54 PM, Boaby Kenobi said:

Well they also blamed music like NIN and even Marilyn Manson, plus various movies of that era so they would have found something to focus on.

Just like in the mid 90s when all the FMV games were on PC, games like Ripper and Harvester and of course Night Trap. According to some people those games would poison the minds of young people and cause them to do terrible things.

Terrible people do terrible things. Adolf Hitler, Ted Bundy, etc. I doubt they ever played games so what made them do what they did?

The media only cares about ratings, so as long as they have a new controversy, it makes them wealthier.

My counterargument to the violent video games issue is we've had many other mediums that have violence in them (books, movies, music, etc), so why are video games always singled out?  Our corrupt politicians in Washington DC have no problem sending millions of men to war to fight and die in the middle east, but violent video games are the problem?  Hollywood movies have people firing guns left, right, up, down, and center, but violent video games are the problem here. Riiiight......

ah, it is just videgame industry doesn't have big enough lobby, so it is safe to attack videogames. as soon as big studios will buy enough politicans, there will be another Big Enemy.

43 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

ROMERO/CARMACK 2020

They certainly couldn't do much worse than both parties in government.

The pistol. There is no reason to have a weapon in the game that is objectively awful at everything, and whose only use is to let you spend 30 seconds at the start of the game throwing pellets at hit-scanners until you get a shotgun and never use the pistol again.

So like not sure if anyone else has had this happen to them but when i kill a Pain Elemental next too or near a wall (only seems to happen on chocolate doom haven't tried it on the DOS version) sometimes this weird thing will happen where instead of the Lost Soul dying because it spawned outside the map, it just stays outside the map. So when I'm trying to get 100% everything on DOOM 2 I have to use noclip just to kill it. Which makes me feel like a cheater. ;(

1 hour ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

(only seems to happen on chocolate doom haven't tried it on the DOS version)

chocolate is 1:1 corresponds to vanilla, including bugs. this is vanilla bug, yeah.