Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

myk:

Your analysis clarifies a lot about how the monsters in doom 2 are balanced. I don't really have any disagreements.

Reaper978 said:

Easy bro, I like doom. Just sometimes I get frustrated. I know the original post was naggy and lame, but sometimes I have these moments. I apologize (in a completely non-sarcastic way).

I appologise for losing my rag on what is a light hearted topic.

I love it when bad guys can open doors to come and get you, like one time when they opened the left door at the start of E1M3 before I'd even gone up to it. ...But then I'm always dissapointed when they can't or won't open doors.

Another thing, I really, really, really wish there was TC of Alien Vs Predator (Atari Jaguar).

Super Jamie said:

I agree with myk. Constant Imp battles get boring fast, but sometimes you want something tougher. Not as tough or scary as a Baron, more compact than a Manc or Caco, and not as unfair as a Revenant or Archvile. I actually think Hell Knights are one of the best additions from Doom 2, they fill a very big gap one encounters when making maps for doom.wad

Yeah. While I think they could have been a bit more creative with the design, I still think the Hell Knight is the most fun monster to run up and blast with a SSG.

I appologise for losing my rag on what is a light hearted topic.

Nah, I understand. I am often ambiguous.

I love it when bad guys can open doors to come and get you

Yeah, that's actually kind of frightening.

I never played ye olde aliens vs. predator for jaguar. Sounds like it could be fun.

Things are infinitely tall, monsters, items, explosions, everything. For a game with mostly a 3D perspective, this seems strangely 2D. Thank Raven for fixing that in Heretic.

- long-lasting red screen after you take massive damage

- infinite height

- cacos & elementals flying away after getting hit by a rocket or ssg blast, especially in huge areas.  Annoying as hell.

- collision bumping or whatever it's called. Sometimes you would hug the wall, only to be bumped into a pit.

Infinite height is a limitation but the other three is no excuse.

Absolutely hate? Not much, otherwise I wouldn't be playing the damn game and doing something else. Dislike? Most of the vanilla engine bugs and quirks that affect playability. I would be a long list to mention all of them, so I'll add melee hitboxes and blockmap to what @The_SloVinator already mentioned. I get that it's an old-ass game, but can't id at least update the engine to fix some of the shit in the many re-releases they are throwing out?

The absurdly broad RNG range of some attacks. Like pinky bites and revenant fireballs. And it's random whether they even home or not!

And hate is actually too strong for that, its more like mild annoyance and occasional frustration.

When there's an alert Shotgun Guy behind a door, and I go and open that door, and when it's halfway open -- I can see his stupid feet and can't shoot him yet -- he manages to fire off an instant 45 chunker. I can do without that. 

Exclusively the infinite height of monsters from vanilla. The infinite height of explosions can be quite convenient in a lot of situations so I can't really complain about that.

The rest to me is just mildly annoying at best.

Probably infinite height. More an issue in Doom2 than the original Doom due to the increased verticality of the maps.

Simple: 320x200. Which was technically outdated a mere 2 years after the game's release and made me quit playing it for 5 years until I found the first high resolution source ports (Doom 95 does not count, it was just awful.)

Infinite height would also rank high on the list. It was lust a lame workaround for the buggy movement code Doom got.

6 hours ago, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

For me its that one weird lookin' pixel on the ssg. It always annoyed me.

2019_11_22_19_56_16_prboom_2.5.0.png

Get the sprite fix mod.

As for my vote: hover corpses. It's when a monster corpse is levitating because it has like one pixel on a higher sector. MBF tried to solve that with "pseudo torque simulation" but it caused more troubles than it's worth.

Also cacodemon corpses being so huge that I go out of my way to get them to die over pits of death where I won't have to see them, or under doorways so they can be squished.

doom collision detection code. i can't even start to describe how i hate it. i made some attempts to replace it with the proper one (which is impossible, of course, because doom coldet isn't even 3d), and i still holding some hope.

Absolutely hate is strong language, but automatic switching to a new weapon when you pick it up can be annoying in DM. Source ports fix every possible gripe I might have with the game though, so I’ll say nothing! 

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

automatic switching to a new weapon when you pick it up can be annoying in DM

it is freakin' deadly even in SP. run into rocket launcher and shoot an imp right in front of you? sure!

also, red tint with berserk pack is really annoying.

Just remembered two more small things:

I dislike that there are no symbols anywhere on the HUD to indicate that I have either Berserk, or a Backpack.

Sometimes you forget that you've picked up / not picked up those items.

I've wasted many a shell-box thinking I have a Backpack - but instead 'maxing' out at the normal ammo limit. Or, w/ Berserk, I'll end up wasting other ammo / putting myself at slightly more risk w/ the chainsaw instead.

Probably not a big issue for most, but I wouldn't mind having a small symbol for either of those items. You're not likely to remember such details after returning to a past save.

Edit: definitely not an 'absolutely hated' feature though...

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Infinite height would also rank high on the list. It was lust a lame workaround for the buggy movement code Doom got.

I am more inclined to see this as a feature rather than a workaround or limtation of the engine (considering the Raven games never had it anyway). Certain enemies from Doom, notably the Cacodemons, become basically useless in many scenarios without infinite height.

Horizontal autoaim especialy when you uswed the rocket launcher and blow yourselve up -_-

other annoying things:

-RNG damage

-infinite height monsters

-glitchy collision (you ever had those moments when you touched an impassble line and get stuck to it?

-forcced autoswich (especially since doom has so slow switch time)