Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

What's something about Doom that you absolutely hate?

20 hours ago, HadleyFlame said:

Hate that I get so addicted to it, that I can only think about playing doom games and nothing else. 

Preach, m'dear!

Something that a really hate and is one of the worst things made in gaming, is the fact that DOOM 64 weapons doesn't have reload animations.

And even worse, there's no mod in the Official PC Port to add the Cage's reload edits. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

24 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Something that a really hate and is one of the worst things made in gaming, is the fact that DOOM 64 weapons doesn't have reload animations.

And even worse, there's no mod in the Official PC Port to add the Cage's reload edits. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This alone was the reason i didn't buy the game back in the day. Even though i really liked it. I actually loved it. But the lack of reload animations made me angry from the very start and i was too petty to forgive it. And yeah, i still hate this to this day. Whoever took that decision i hope they spill their coffee onto their keyboard.

Things i hate in Doom are all that stupid vanilla bugs like blockmap bug, no clipping projectiles, lost souls spawns in a wall from a dying pain elemental etc. Thank goodness there a source ports wich eliminate them.

The weak chaingun (compared to the chaingun from Wolf3d and the Spiderdemon) with its weak sound. Luckely there is (g)ZDoom with decorate/zscript so it can be modified.

Lost Souls have a too much HP as some peale mentioned earlier. In my wads i have decreased there HP by 50% but make them way more agressive, just like the Lost Souls in D64.

Lower sky texture cause HOM's in some cases.

44 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

This alone was the reason i didn't buy the game back in the day. Even though i really liked it. I actually loved it. But the lack of reload animations made me angry from the very start and i was too petty to forgive it. And yeah, i still hate this to this day. Whoever took that decision i hope they spill their coffee onto their keyboard.

Yup, it seem that they tried to emulate Quake (or too lazy to add few hand sprites to the 3D shotgun and SSG models :P). I mean, in Quake works because the weapons have little to not reloads (The Shotgun is like a machine gun and the SSG is fast AF), but in Doom 64 it have, making it confusing if you didn't hear the reload, due the sounds of other things. :I

6 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Yup, it seem that they tried to emulate Quake (or too lazy to add few hand sprites to the 3D shotgun and SSG models :P)

No they literally ran out of cartridge space.

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Seriously?

Welp, the more you know. lol

Ye, Doom64 cart is just 8MB. Same reason the enemy roster lacks the Revenant and Archvile.

1 hour ago, Krankebok said:

Things i hate in Doom are all that stupid vanilla bugs like blockmap bug, no clipping projectiles, lost souls spawns in a wall from a dying pain elemental etc. Thank goodness there a source ports wich eliminate them.

This is a weird one on my part but I kinda like the noclipping projectiles. Probably cause it keeps me on edge and shit, but its very much not a positive in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Krankebok said:

The weak chaingun (compared to the chaingun from Wolf3d and the Spiderdemon) with its weak sound. Luckely there is (g)ZDoom with decorate/zscript so it can be modified.

No weapon in the game (save for the chainsaw) is weak, each one excels at a certain song and dance. Shotgun's a good standard workhorse for weaker, single targets, while the chaingun takes great strides against hordes of them (zombiemen, shotgunners, etc). In short, never treat any one weapon as the definitive all-around choice.

7 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Ideally, PrBoom / DSDA compatible and WinMBF / Woof! compatible. I also agree with Gibbon, just because I don't want to throw the DOSBox junkies for a loop. Not saying ever mapper has to test in DOS, I don't always. But it's worth mentioning, I think. 

This would be fine except boom.exe does not load internal dehacked patches. I really don't want to have to muddy up the text file for something like that. Though I figure you'd know that already if you're the type of person to stick with 2.02 anyway.

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Ye, Doom64 cart is just 8MB. Same reason the enemy roster lacks the Revenant and Archvile.

I don't buy that. It's just 3 or 4 frames of animation or so for each shotgun. It' not like the monsters that have tons of animation frames for all the different angles. If space was the issue they could just remove a couple of textures and they would be fine (i doubt they couldn't fit a few more animation frames in there, especially when there are probably unused/beta assets in that cart to replace anyway).

Weapons looking the part should be much higher priority anyway because they are in front of your face 100% of the time and missing the reload animations is kinda noticeable. Not to mention how the shotguns in DOOM were iconic.

To me it looks like this was intentional and they just wanted it to look more like Quake because that game was the hot item at the time and Doom was considered obsolete. That or they had the animations planned the last minute and just run out of time. Not space, but time.

Or maybe there is a source that confirms what the case was? I'm only using my logic here.

Edited by TasAcri

I was going to say the RNG damage with its ludicrous ranges, but there's something that bothers me even more than that: The delay between pressing the fire button and weapons actually firing.

It's perhaps the most discomforting aspect of vanilla gunplay I know about. Especially after finally KNOWING it's there. Until I went and looked at the code I had no idea why it all felt so wrong.

14 hours ago, maxmanium said:

This would be fine except boom.exe does not load internal dehacked patches. I really don't want to have to muddy up the text file for something like that. Though I figure you'd know that already if you're the type of person to stick with 2.02 anyway.

Some of the oldschool guys actually will label it as MBF compatible. Look at 2022 ADO's text file: it mentions this solely because of the internal BEX patch, I believe. So it's called Boom / MBF compatible, which makes sense. It actually doesn't overload the seg limit as far as I know, so it should run in the DOS exes. I might try that.

6 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Or maybe there is a source that confirms what the case was? I'm only using my logic here.

Maybe you can consider Edward850 a credible source, seeing that he is part of the studio that developed the Doom 64 remaster? ;)

On 1/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Doomkid said:

I'm re-banning Kyka because the Hell Knight takes a big steamy dump on the Baron in terms of usefulness (although the Baron's sounds are obviously way more badass)

EDIT: Omfg and you're in the "Lost Souls should die in 1 shotgun blast because I forgot what an SSG is" camp?! Oh dear lord. That's a 10-year-banhammer at least.

Dear 9 people who liked this post. Showing support for me getting banned, eh? You are all off my Christmas list.

Wait...

I liked this post too.

The bloody homing Revenant missiles. No matter how many thousands of hours I’ve put into these games over the years nothing makes me panic more than a group of Revenants pouring out of a recently opened door with no cover in sight.

Also a Pain Elemental blasting a Lost Soul straight at me the second I fire a rocket.

12 hours ago, TasAcri said:

I don't buy that. It's just 3 or 4 frames of animation or so for each shotgun. It' not like the monsters that have tons of animation frames for all the different angles. If space was the issue they could just remove a couple of textures and they would be fine (i doubt they couldn't fit a few more animation frames in there, especially when there are probably unused/beta assets in that cart to replace anyway).

To me it looks like this was intentional and they just wanted it to look more like Quake because that game was the hot item at the time and Doom was considered obsolete. That or they had the animations planned the last minute and just run out of time. Not space, but time.

I thought this conversation sounded familar...

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2347812

Dude, @Edward850 already explained why the reloads were not included. Sure, I hate that D64 didn't have them, but I'm not going to argue with a programer (a programer that also worked on the remake of said game) about why the reloads weren't included. It wasn't a "style" or "design" choice, it was simply limitations of current tech at the time. 

At the end of the day, I guess someone could bust out the stats of the cart itself and pretty much prove the point.

I hate that all the weapon sprites aren't in the centre

So I fix first when I make a mapset

13 hours ago, TasAcri said:

I don't think anyone "using [their] logic" would come to the conclusion that the cool part of Quake that everyone wanted to see more of was a lack of reload animations. At most they would have used Quake as a justification that players wouldn't mind too much if they didn't have reload animations, but not that having reload animations is "obsolete" and that it's better not to have them.

I'm sure you could have cut other stuff besides the reload animations, but you would have had to explain to the others working on it why they couldn't have their textures, or their enemies, or their music, or whatever. Had something else been cut instead, you would have people bemoaning the loss of that. At the end of the day, the developers decided the reload animations aren't as big a deal as you make them out to be, so they were cut (or maybe they were never made in the first place, I don't know - that would have also saved them some time, as you said).

Edited by Shepardus

I will always fucking hate Archviles with a burning passion and no one will ever convince me they are a good enemy concept.

14 hours ago, Smoothandz said:

I thought this conversation sounded familar...

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2347812

Dude, @Edward850 already explained why the reloads were not included. Sure, I hate that D64 didn't have them, but I'm not going to argue with a programer (a programer that also worked on the remake of said game) about why the reloads weren't included. It wasn't a "style" or "design" choice, it was simply limitations of current tech at the time. 

At the end of the day, I guess someone could bust out the stats of the cart itself and pretty much prove the point.

Damn, i completely forgot about that conversation and i even quoted the same person...

Anyway, i need to stop arguing about this, lol

The pistol is such an unbelievably shit, unfun weapon to use. I hate it when the first map in a WAD requires me to have long, drawn out fights with even the most puny of monsters with this firearm for long stretches before handing me something more substantial.

58 minutes ago, DrRock said:

The pistol is such an unbelievably shit, unfun weapon to use. I hate it when the first map in a WAD requires me to have long, drawn out fights with even the most puny of monsters with this firearm for long stretches before handing me something more substantial.

One of the reasons that I don't normally do pistol starts.

4 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Damn, i completely forgot about that conversation and i even quoted the same person...

Anyway, i need to stop arguing about this, lol

someone who learns from the past? 

Heh. You sir, or madam, have my regards.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:27 PM, xX_Lol6_Xx said:
  1. Weapons not being centered, thank goodness for the sprite fixing projects.
  2. Chaingunners, fuck them
  3. Archviles, *fuck them*
  4. Revenants
  5. Basically the whole Plutonia megawad (with very, very few map exceptions)
  6. Infinite-height (But rarely, I'm willing to ignore it)
  7. Intercepts Overflow, better known as blockmap bug
  8. Shorttics
  9. Random Crashes
  10. E4M1
  11. E4M6
  12. Plutonia, again
  13. Habitat
  14. Baron's den
  15. Gigantic levels (With a few exceptions)
  16. Plutonia
  17. Wads that advertise themselves as "boom" or "mbf" compatible that actually aren't, Gibbon said it once and I completely agree with him, if they don't run in Dos Boom or Dos MBF, they aren't actually compatible, period.

Dude, intercepts overflow and blockmap bug are different tho they are inter-related.

If you play on strict complevel 9 on any demo compatible port, like e.g DSDA, PrB+, Woof!, you can have blockmap bug, but you will never have intercepts bug, because these intercepts, spechits, reject, missedbackside, donut, playeringame overflows were fixed in Boom.

But Boom didn't fix Blockmap bug, so technically blockmap bug and intercepts are different, tho they are related.

2 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

Dude, intercepts overflow and blockmap bug are different tho they are inter-related. 

Ah, yes, my bad. Thank you for pointing it out heh.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, CasualScrub said:

I will always fucking hate Archviles with a burning passion and no one will ever convince me they are a good enemy concept.

Username checks out.

sorry, I just had to..

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Username checks out.

When I read that, I thought he had been back. Disappointed!