Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

people

ok i really hate it when people say "jew" like "that's is so jewish" or "you dirty jew." i also dont understand why people think 'nigger' is ok to say, really why would black people call each other that.

I have not used the phrase "that is so gay" or anything like it for similar reasons

This is because the world sucks, and people in general are assholes.

My 2 cents.

Sephiroth said:
ok i really hate it when people say "jew" like "that's is so jewish" or "you dirty jew." i also dont understand why people think 'nigger' is ok to say, really why would black people call each other that.

I have not used the phrase "that is so gay" or anything like it for similar reasons

I AGREE COMPLETELY.

I can live with 'gay'. Not because I think it's acceptable, it because so many people use it, (here, and real life) that I would do nothing but flame everyone in site if I didn't put it behind me.

Also... I kind of have a problem with use of the word 'retarded' because I actually have done some volunteer work with people who actually are retarded, and it just gives me an uneasy feeling every time i here it.

Calling something gay meaning it sucks is just the same now as calling something cool because it's good.

It's now used so often I don't have a problem with it.

Ct_red_pants said:

Also... I kind of have a problem with use of the word 'retarded' because I actually have done some volunteer work with people who actually are retarded, and it just gives me an uneasy feeling every time i here it.

I agree completely. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who thought this use of the word "retarded" was outrageously offensive.

Is it? Think about it, you are calling someone who isn't retarded a retard. I mean, you can still consider a true retard's deficiency as acceptable but a "normal" person acting like a retard would certainly annoy you. Don't you call someone "immature" when they act irresponsibly? Does this mean you think a child is an offensive thing?

mmnpsrsoskl said:
Calling something gay meaning it sucks is just the same now as calling something cool because it's good.

It's now used so often I don't have a problem with it.

Yes, but cool isn't a taking stab at any minority groups. I bet you any money that using "gay" as an insult stemmed from some conservative red-neck morons from the American deep south. and most of the time it doesn’t even make any sense. "that show was so gay!" WTF dose that even mean?! and most people who use it all the time in real life tend to complete idiots anyway (not just because they use the word gay but they are stupid in general.)

Also, Ignoring the homophobic aspect, I always found it lame. Like "bumbum-poopoo-face" when said by a six-year-old child.

But my rants are hardly going to stop this trend. so go ahead, say it all you want, just don't kid youself into thinking that it dosn't mean anything.

myk said:
Is it? Think about it, you are calling someone who isn't retarded a retard. I mean, you can still consider a true retard's deficiency as acceptable but a "normal" person acting like a retard would certainly annoy you. Don't you call someone "immature" when they act irresponsibly? Does this mean you think a child is an offensive thing?

A child grows up. a retard is stuck that way. It’s basically say that a retard is a lesser being for something he/she has no control over.

myk said:

Is it? ...

I would say that using a term that describes a medical condition (or sexual orientation, nationality or religion) as a term of abuse is always offensive to those suffering from the condition in question (or of said persuasion, race, etc.).

It also makes it more likely that innocent people will be descriminated against (since language shapes our thoughts, right?).

Yeah, what would you call a person that is acting in a manner that reminds you of a mentally deficient person then?

Dolt, idiot, stupid, moronic, dim, ignoramus, thick, foolish, ect. It’s not like the English language is short on words to describe the ignorant.

Well, heh, look those up... particularly idiot and moron.

mo·ron Pronunciation Key (môrn, mr-)
n.
A stupid person; a dolt.
Psychology. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

id·i·ot Pronunciation Key (d-t)
n.
A foolish or stupid person.
A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Check for yourself.

but if it makes you feel better, I'll stop using them.

I wish for the good old days when gay meant happy, fag meant Cigarette, faggot meant bundle of sticks, and retard meant slow moving.

Death to the Bastardized American meanings!

Hmm interesting, neither of those two terms are given as solely offensive by m-w.com.

But nah, I wouldn't worry, the term retard should probably be classified just like those two. If it hasn't it's because it's broader and it adapts more to different circumstances, I gather. Just use it as you see fit.

retard

n : a person of subnormal intelligence [syn: idiot, imbecile, cretin, moron, changeling, half-wit] v 1: cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate; "This drug will retard your heart rate" 2: slow the growth or development of [syn: check] 3: lose velocity; move more slowly; "The car decelerated" [syn: decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up] [ant: accelerate]
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

re·tard2 Pronunciation Key (rtärd)
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=retard

Ct_red_pants said:

I wish for the good old days when gay meant happy, fag meant Cigarette, faggot meant bundle of sticks, and retard meant slow moving.

The 15th century? Those days were rough...

Heh, that crappy online dictionary everyone keeps quoting really needs to be h4><0red. If only I knew how.

Grazza said:
Heh, that crappy online dictionary everyone keeps quoting really needs to be h4><0red. If only I knew how.

No! I'd have to find and use a real dictionary:P

myk: Your own description suggests that they are both inferior to a good printed or electronic dictionary.

Ct_R_P: exactly! :)

Heh, you say that only because one accepts the derisive slang usage of retard!

They are generally OK. I do recommend accessing a more complete dictionary when one needs to be exacting, but these online ones usually have the more relevant info, and update often too.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, some of the kids in my country still live in the old days. I remember I had an english book with word gay meaning happy.

Altough the books were like 15 years old to make education less expensive :)

Heh, fag is also a good word to use. But I use gay most, heh. Not to harm anyone.

Personally, i've never used racist slang towards a non-white person - though my little brother and i use them against eachother as a weird 'in-joke' that would take forever to explain.

I've not called anyone 'gay' in an offensive way since i was about 13 either - being bisexual myself, i get pissed off when it's thrown about in the fashion witnessed on these forums.

(and yes, before you say it, i *am* married)

Calling a person "gay" for no appropriate reason is no better than looking at a homeless black woman and saying "Look, it's a dumb ______ _____!" People who use the word "gay" in a negative context are the root of all hate crimes against homosexuals. Eventually it gets burned into people's minds that "gay" is "bad," and then some people go out of their way to prove they're not "gay," by killing a homosexual.

In my opinion, only sad and conformist individuals use the term "gay" to describe something bad.

I have heard 15% of the earth's people is gay. So I guess it should be normal soon....

AndrewB said:

Calling a person "gay" for no appropriate reason is no better than looking at a homeless black woman and saying "Look, it's a dumb ______ _____!" People who use the word "gay" in a negative context are the root of all hate crimes against homosexuals. Eventually it gets burned into people's minds that "gay" is "bad," and then some people go out of their way to prove they're not "gay," by killing a homosexual.

In my opinion, only sad and conformist individuals use the term "gay" to describe something bad.

LOL FAG!!!!

I don't use the word retard. I use frad ,fucktard, dumbass, stupidjerkfaceretardobutt, asswipe, and some other words no one else thinks about, except for frad, everyone uses that.