Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kore

Trigger something by killing any monster in Boom

I remember someone posted an example of this some years. I think it involved killing hell knights to open a door, and I remember it was also boom compatible.
So, is this possible or are my memories failing me?

Edited by Kore

You can do stuff by putting the KeenDie codepointer on some other monster type.

That must have been it, because I remember you had to kill all of them first. Thanks.

There are ways to make stuff happen after killing a monster in boom without needing keen codepointers, and it works independently of mapslot as well. Unfortunately it requires a kind of specific setup, and mostly works for monsters which are turreted in some fashion. So the application of that trick (or some variations thereof) might be kind of limited with regards to where when and how it can be applied.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:35 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

There are ways to make stuff happen after killing a monster in boom without needing keen codepointers, and it works independently of mapslot as well. Unfortunately it requires a kind of specific setup, and mostly works for monsters which are turreted in some fashion. So the application of that trick (or some variations thereof) might be kind of limited with regards to where when and how it can be applied.

I can't visualize the type of setup you're talking about. I understand turreted monsters, but I don't quite get how you could translate that into "kill all these monsters, which will trigger something else." The only thing I can think of is somehow putting these monsters in front of shootable switches (that don't look like switches, obviously) and relying on hitting the "switch" in the process of killing the monster. Each switch would then open a door in front of a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt; only after all monsters were dead, and doors open, would the voodoo doll trigger whatever action was supposed to happen.

However, I doubt this is what you were talking about, because it doesn't seem terribly elegant. Could you provide a brief description of the setup that you were thinking of?

15 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Could you provide a brief description of the setup that you were thinking of?

Hard to describe briefly, but the setup works based on how things get smaller when they're corpses, which is used to release a doll once the monster is dead from a position in a conveyor that gets "unlocked" (via merged sectors) when a monster dies.

@Pegleg What Nine Inch Heels said can be made to happen in a few different ways, all of them based on the fact that a monster can block sector movement if the height of that sector is equal to the height of monster. By killing the monster, you release the sector to move. Now it is possible then to use this movement to trigger other things, like a conveyor. This setup works best with turreted monsters, but can made to function in a more open setting with either multiple fake ceilings or self referencing sectors in a grid, acting as an invisible ceiling. My theory is that with some additional DeHacked work it can be made so that you can have an entire battlefield (albeit a flat one) where you need to kill all monsters (of different kind) to proceed. Height variation will cause some problems due to the nature of the setup, but with monsters that have a large radius this shouldn't be as big of an issue as with smaller monsters (since the frequency of the blocking ceiling "pillars" is directly proportional to the radius of the smallest monster type in the fight).

Linedef special 247 or 248? They scroll objects based on changes to a remote tagged sectors height. The monsters you want to be the “lock” can prevent the remote sector height from changing (ceiling lower types) until they are all dead.

That is one possibility, sure. One I'm currently using makes use of a monster in a closet, prevented from moving by an adjacent floor that is 25 mu lower (the minimum height difference monsters can't traverse). Connect that to a sector that is blocked by a monster, and then when that monster is killed the floor needs only be raised by 1 mu to have the closeted monster walk over the gap and activate whatever it is you want it to activate, like a conveyor. You can then either have the monster teleport into the map or get crushed.

The setup itself is not difficult to do, the extended problem is how to increase versatility and use it in more organic encounters (instead of just turreted monster situations). I explained one such possibility above, but it's still in experimentation phase.