Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon187

Intermission Maps in Doom 2

When I was new to Doom, I remember how awesome it felt to see where in phobos/deimos/hell the level took place. The "YOU ARE HERE" arrow, the futuristic look of the base, it was all a pretty nice touch. So when I played Doom 2, it was disappointing to see that there was no intermission map, but instead just a wall with a bunch of, what i assume is, suffering souls and skulls.

My question is: Is there a mod that adds an original intermission map to Doom 2? And if not, how could it be done?

I've seen a couple of mods that make intermission screens for Doom 2 but not a full map yet - it looks like one was started back in 2011 but the original images have long disappeared. https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30594

The ones I've seen are for ZDoom, which provides a scripting language for setting up intermission screens like this - it would unfortunately be very difficult to hack into vanilla Doom 2.

47 minutes ago, DavidN said:

The ones I've seen are for ZDoom, which provides a scripting language for setting up intermission screens like this - it would unfortunately be very difficult to hack into vanilla Doom 2.

It would not be possible at all. The code references a single image from memory.