Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lightning Hunter

Mappers wanted for a old project: Hell's Curse

I'm not sure if many people remember, but a while back I started a 32 level project called Hell's Curse. If you don't remember it, visit the web page for it here http://www.hot.ee/hellscurse/
I currently have 11 levels finished for it. The problem is that I don't have as much time to work on it as I used to, and it would take too long to finish. The project has a few team members, but so far I am the only mapper. So I have decided to try and find anyone interested in making maps for the project. The project has come too far to abandon, so any mappers who want to help please e-mail me here: LightningHunter@hotmail.com

So far the project has a team of 4. We have 1 mapper (me) a story writer/texture designer, a great music composer, and a web master for the HC web page. The project has lots of new texture themes, stories to go along with each completed level, and lots of ideas. I will still be finishing a few map ideas I had in mind for the project, but I still need people to help me finish up 21 more maps!

Again, if you wish to make some maps for this project, send a e-mail to me: LightningHunter@hotmail.com

Looks great!

The monsters look all 3D and stuff in the screenshots;
what source port do you use? (=probably a dumb question, but I`m not into the source port business)

PS1, you might wanna put a downloadable demo (at least one playable level) on the site so potential mappers can see what their getting into.
PS2, don`t count on my help though; I`m too busy with my on project (cliche) and I`m not really that good :-(

The site is neat. As for the WAD, it doesn't seem to say whether it requires or uses any particular source engine. You do give some info on how you want to make it more fun than doom2.wad... but that's kind of odd, comparing it to the IWAD, when there's so many PWADs in existence. You could tell a bit more about the style of play expected, maybe. Good luck finding new people. Since the page looks good and work has been done on the WAD I think you have chances.

hmmm... It look like he/they is using Jdoom.... or a other port with models.
It look okay on the screenies... :)
I am sorry, but I am also busy with mapping... heh

Yes, but that is no certain indication that the WAD requires the engine. It could, or it could just need a limitless engine, or it might even be doom2 compatible.

Those shots are definitely taken using JDoom, and they look sweet! :)
Looking good already.

m0l0t0v said:

Looks great!

The monsters look all 3D and stuff in the screenshots;
what source port do you use? (=probably a dumb question, but I`m not into the source port business)

PS1, you might wanna put a downloadable demo (at least one playable level) on the site so potential mappers can see what their getting into.
PS2, don`t count on my help though; I`m too busy with my on project (cliche) and I`m not really that good :-(

Those screenshots were taken in Jdoom :) The project will work on pretty much any source port though. That includes Zdoom (even though I am not a big fan of it)

A demo might be a good idea. Maybe I'll put one of the levels up for downlaod. Some of the levels I want to redo, but most of them are good quality.

myk said:

The site is neat. As for the WAD, it doesn't seem to say whether it requires or uses any particular source engine. You do give some info on how you want to make it more fun than doom2.wad... but that's kind of odd, comparing it to the IWAD, when there's so many PWADs in existence. You could tell a bit more about the style of play expected, maybe. Good luck finding new people. Since the page looks good and work has been done on the WAD I think you have chances.

The style changes throughout each episode. The first episode uses the base theme, while the second episode uses outdoor themes, like cliffs and caves. The third episode will be hell theme (different hell textures than in any other hell WAD) I have some great ideas for the hell levels so far.

Torn said:

hmmm... It look like he/they is using Jdoom.... or a other port with models.
It look okay on the screenies... :)
I am sorry, but I am also busy with mapping... heh

hehe, those screenshots were taken along time ago with old Jdoom models. Cheb's newer work is MUCH better than those old screenshots :)
Here is a link to screenshots of every 3d Monster on Cheb's page. Click on the little monster pics to see bigger screenshots of them.
http://www.newdoom.com/hosted/modelyard/percentage.shtm

Here is just a little more info on the project.
I have thought about putting a short story after each level. You will be able to read the story on the screen that usually just tells what level you are entering next.
I also want to find someone who is good at drawing small graphics to draw out a map for the project, that shows where the Doom guy will travel in the course of the game. This way it makes more sense why he goes from a military base to outdoor levels then to hell :)

I am thinking of having the end level of episode 2 be a giant mountain on the end of the map that has a portal to hell on it. The portal will be where the monsters are coming from, and this time instead of destroying it like you did at the end of Doom2, you decide to step into it and cause destruction in Hell :)
oh and BTW, Hell's Curse takes place after Doom2.
I think the story will be something like this. After you destroyed the demon gate at the end of Doom2, you realized that monsters are still coming from somewhere. That's when you decide to follow (and kill) every monster untill you discover the second place they are coming from. The first level starts off in a military base that you come across while on your journey. You exit the military base at the end of episode 1, and episode 2 is in the mountains that surround the base.

Xanthier said:

I'd help you but i have no reputation as a mapper to speak of....I'm working on it :)

Well, maybe this is your chance :) All you would have to do is send me a small example map of what you can do. If I think it's good enough, maybe you can make a few maps for the project.

Lightning Hunter said:

Well, maybe this is your chance :) All you would have to do is send me a small example map of what you can do. If I think it's good enough, maybe you can make a few maps for the project.

Hmmm...I'm working on one right now...i'll get back to you

Xanthier said:

Hmmm...I'm working on one right now...i'll get back to you

Take your time on detail. Make a few good traps in the level, because that's what makes levels most fun in my opinion :)

Okay.
Well, it is a small level made for map26 of freedoom... :)
And I think there is a small error. A weird secret, you will see it, if you use zdoom (because of the secret sector message)

I played through your map aminesii Torn. I have to say it's a good job :) The weapons and ammo placement is perfect on hard skill level. The detail is great in most of the map!

Your welcome to become a mapper for Hell's Curse if you like. Your work is plenty good for Hell's Curse. There is just a few things that you can do to make the levels a little better.

First, there could be just a few more secrets. I usually put lots of easy secrets in my maps for people who don't like searching too much, and I also put really hard secrets for those people who just love searching every corner. I usually have about 3-6 secrets in medium sized maps. (most of them are pretty easy to find, and 1 to 2 of them are very hard)

The other thing that could be added is just a few more hard traps. There were a few cool traps in your map (the chaingunner trap) but it would have been cool to have a little harder trap. I found that the best traps are the ones that suddenly close you in a tight space and monsters come through teleporters, Come out of doors, raise up out of the floor, walk through the walls, etc. :)

So if you put a few harder traps and a few more secrets in your maps, I would love to have you as a mapper for the project :)

I could also be interested in taking part to the project... It's just that I don't have much time because of school and I have never released anything. And I have to go to army next year :(

Well let's see if you qualify me after i've published my wad and I still have time for it.

DooMer 4ever said:

I could also be interested in taking part to the project... It's just that I don't have much time because of school and I have never released anything. And I have to go to army next year :(

Well let's see if you qualify me after i've published my wad and I still have time for it.

All I need are some mappers that can do at least 2-4 maps each. That's not very much and shouldn't take very long. You can just send me 1 level anytime your ready. I'm sure most of the people here on the Doomworld forums "qualify" for mappers :) Most of the work I have seen here from the people on these forums are very good.

Well, I am kinda busy until after christmas, but I am sure i could do 1-2 maps after christmas... :)
(if there still are map slots)
Well, This map was my first map over 5sectors, it will be better in the future...

Torn said:

Well, I am kinda busy until after christmas, but I am sure i could do 1-2 maps after christmas... :)
(if there still are map slots)
Well, This map was my first map over 5sectors, it will be better in the future...

sounds good. Just make sure that you e-mail me before you start making any maps. That way I can tell you what kind of maps you can make. If you make a map for the last episode, then it will have to be a Hell theme. The other episodes are on Earth, so you can make lots of different styles for those maps.

Torn said:

hmmm... okay.
Well, I think i am best at hell theme... :)

ok, but there are lots of new Hell textures I have that I need to send you before you begin your Hell level :)
The hell levels in Hell's Curse are going to be alot more "Hellish" than the original Doom levels...

I have a very hellish map on my comp, its unfinished tho. Uses 2 edited textures from The Zerstorer for Quake. Very freaky IMO. "Meat" walls with bone pillars, and dark.

I might be able to design a map or two, depending on how my work with my Freedoom maps are going. If you want to see some of my work, search for dome1m3 and av46e1m7 on Doomsearch.com. Those are two of the three map's I've ever done, the third one really isn't worth playing but if you want it's av46sp01.

ravage said:

I have a very hellish map on my comp, its unfinished tho. Uses 2 edited textures from The Zerstorer for Quake. Very freaky IMO. "Meat" walls with bone pillars, and dark.

You can send it to me sometime if you like. Do you have a instant messanger? (I have them all)

Archvile64 said:

I might be able to design a map or two, depending on how my work with my Freedoom maps are going. If you want to see some of my work, search for dome1m3 and av46e1m7 on Doomsearch.com. Those are two of the three map's I've ever done, the third one really isn't worth playing but if you want it's av46sp01.

I'll play them sometime today :)

hey i really wanna help but primarily i need to work on some sprites, but i'd like to do at least one map, to show you, i think through Christmas i could easily get some done :)