Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

Cheaters caught red handed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

 

Yeah. Ikr? I once completed a nightmare pacifist run of Underhalls in less than a minute!*

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Hide contents

*I can't help but feel that my use of the "-nomonsters" command line parameter somehow lessens the impact of this achievement.

 

 

I did it in like 5 seconds.

 

Oh what, you mean I have to reach the exit switch for it to count?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Magicana said:

 

I did it in like 5 seconds.

 

Oh what, you mean I have to reach the exit switch for it to count?

 

Wait, should we get a new category where we try our darndest to die as quickly as possible?

Share this post


Link to post

Well I was wondering who dafuck bloodite krypto was and why he won 1 quintillion different ironmans.

Also the goodbye message is hilarious,

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Magicana said:

I find cheating for speedruns and competitions (They are very informal, but that's what I'd call the ironman runs) very strange.

 

Apart from that one $100 prize, there is no money attached. It's all about personal achievement at this stage. And what's the achievement if you have to cheat?

 

With how much social media has taken hold in modern society, doing something incredible is more likely to get new people following you, watching your live streams, getting you on the big stage at something like GDQ, etc. That can eventually equate to more donations, subscriptions, or other forms of monetary compensation for one's efforts. I hate thinking about things like this in those terms, but that really is the line of thinking for some of these people.

Share this post


Link to post

What's this hilariously bad goodbye message people are talking about?

Share this post


Link to post

I've got to commend ZeroMaster for the reply "Thank you for your detailed response Krypto"!

Share this post


Link to post

When I started reading the forums again recently the BK ironman debacle was one of the first things that happened. I was like holy crap and even sent it to my brother.

He was like "will this go down in history?" and i was like "nah it's just doomworld"

Share this post


Link to post

I remember way back when... Didn't it come out that some of the top DM players back in the day were using hacked mouse drivers or something? We're talking Dwango and Dial-Up days, here.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

He was like "will this go down in history?" and i was like "nah it's just doomworld"

 

And yet, he was right, because that post is now part of Doomworld legend.

 

 

12 hours ago, pc234 said:

Well I was wondering who dafuck bloodite krypto was and why he won 1 quintillion different ironmans

 

In all fairness, Bloodite was (and I assume still is) an extremely good player (as evidenced by the videos from his streams, which you can still find around), and he likely would have still done quite well for himself in the Ironman competitions, even if he didn't win them all.

Share this post


Link to post

Yikes, didn't know about all of that happening with Bloodite Krypto. I'll admit to being a little suspicious myself about him surviving so many Ironman challenges, though I haven't always kept up with it and I just assumed he got really lucky. I remember he would show up on Thursday Night Survival and he managed to survive pretty well on there, although I can't remember exactly how it went down as it's been a long time since I've seen him on there. He was one of those people that managed to keep their death count pretty low but that may have to do with him letting other people get in on the action first before going in. Makes me want to look over the past TNS threads when they used to post the survival statistics.

 

I do remember that second event with the $100 demo prize - I made many recorded attempts on MAP18 myself but always came shy of 100% and in the end I just couldn't do it in a reasonable time. I remember about the fake demo getting busted and it's unfortunate if what happened with memfis is true, but at least he came forward about it. I do hope he's taking good care of himself.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, CinnamonKilljoy said:

 

Wait, should we get a new category where we try our darndest to die as quickly as possible?

 

I would be a legend at this category.

 

So much so that I would be accused of cheating for winning all the time.

 

Ok, ok I admit, that one run where I died in 7 seconds on that level with no monsters and no damaging floors... it looks pretty suspicious. But you have to understand that the Doom engine has some interesting quirks, and if you can manage to hit the visiplane limit at the exact moment that you glide along the north face a blue health potion at full SR50, then due to some RNG rounding inaccuracies in Doom's health removal calculations, your health is instantly reduced to zero, and a death animation will result.

 

I feel I've made my point.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, lazy91geek said:

Shame about Krypto. I watched his videos regularly. Should have just honed up to it instead of typing that cringe-inducing, Shakespearean essay of a reply. That made it even worse. Haha..

He didn't even write his pontificating soliloquy in iambic pentameter!

Sighhh... can't say I'm surprised that corners were cut there, too... lol

Share this post


Link to post

now, i wonder if mapping for the engine that supports precalced lightmaps/dynamic shadows can be considered cheating. after all, you can stop drawing those detail sectors with different light levels, and simply allow the engine to calculate everything...

 

p.s.: also, this reminds me that i once wanted to write a "static lighter" for doom maps, which automatically adds detail lighting sectors based on light sources. because 'cmon, i think that drawing it all manually is as far from "having fun and being creative" as it could be.

 

p.p.s.: glorious derail!

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/26/2019 at 9:38 PM, CinnamonKilljoy said:

 

Wait, should we get a new category where we try our darndest to die as quickly as possible?

 

Let's see who dies fastest in Plutonia MAP32 :)

Share this post


Link to post

So I did look at the video, and… holy shit, I had absolutely no idea Memfis and Bloodite Krypto ended up leaving the Doom community over cheating. I guess that’s where they went after all this time.

 

 

I mean, I don’t agree with what M did, but his reasoning behind what he did does seem fairly legitimate (and actually really depressing). At least he was able to own up to his cheating in some capacity, and maybe he would’ve asked about advertising a GoFundMe page here if he was that desperate. I guess there wasn’t that many options for him, and desperation really was the big reason why he cheated in the first place. 

 

BK, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. I mean, we have an Ironman league runner who ends up scoring first on the leaderboards, sometimes for back-to-back challenges, only for him to seemingly disappear all of a sudden. You’d think that he’d be some kind of Doom god who can rival the likes of someone like ZeroMaster, but no.
 

Don’t get me wrong, his copypasta-worthy goodbye message is hilarious, but it’s also some of the most solipsistic shit I’ve seen in a long-ass time. It definitely sounds like someone who may be undoubtedly talented, but they’re an incredibly poor sport about it. The response in question actually kind of reminded me of this:

 

I can tell you that BK’s response didn’t come from a place of desperation like M’s response, but rather a place of arrogance.
 

And yes, there do exist people out there who may be good at what they do, but they’re complete assholes about it. 
 

Considering how BK left the community in a huff, I’ve actually been pondering about whether his past accolades should be straight-up revoked and his attempts removed. 

Share this post


Link to post

I agree in principle BK should be removed, in practice though it would probably take up a lot of time reshuffling and recalculating the leaderboard

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

I mean, I don’t agree with what M did, but his reasoning behind what he did does seem fairly legitimate (and actually really depressing). At least he was able to own up to his cheating in some capacity, and maybe he would’ve asked about advertising a GoFundMe page here if he was that desperate. I guess there wasn’t that many options for him, and desperation really was the big reason why he cheated in the first place. 

 

He tried to steal $100 from Looper and lied about it when confronted.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Horus said:

I agree in principle BK should be removed, in practice though it would probably take up a lot of time reshuffling and recalculating the leaderboard

 

It's probably not worth it to go back and either put asterisks next to his name in the ~30 leaderboards that he's listed in or delete him from those leaderboards (both of which @Alfonzo would have to do) and given that Alfonzo recently handed off DWIL responsibilities to NaZa, I don't see him doing that. I suppose if he wanted to, he could more easily correct the record in the most recent DWIL page by just changing the winner of the months when he won to whoever finished second that month (which could be found from NaZa's spreadsheet). Of course, that does tar everything with the cheating brush, whether he cheated in those runs or not, and it would still be some amount of work.

 

Even more work would be to correct the scoring. I suppose, in principle, you could just move everyone's score up one line In other words, if BK got 100,000, Player A got 97,000, Player B got 93,000, Player C got 89,000, and so on, then removing BK would mean that Player A got 100,000, Player B got 97,000, Player C got 93,000, and so on. Would it be more "accurate" to rescale the scores? Perhaps so, but the approach of just moving everyone up one line would probably be sufficient. That, however, is a chore for @NaZa to undertake should he want to do so. It would be an interesting experience, but I'll leave it to NaZa to decide if he wants to take the time to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

 

It's probably not worth it to go back and either put asterisks next to his name in the ~30 leaderboards that he's listed in or delete him from those leaderboards (both of which @Alfonzo would have to do) and given that Alfonzo recently handed off DWIL responsibilities to NaZa, I don't see him doing that. I suppose if he wanted to, he could more easily correct the record in the most recent DWIL page by just changing the winner of the months when he won to whoever finished second that month (which could be found from NaZa's spreadsheet). Of course, that does tar everything with the cheating brush, whether he cheated in those runs or not, and it would still be some amount of work.

 

Even more work would be to correct the scoring. I suppose, in principle, you could just move everyone's score up one line In other words, if BK got 100,000, Player A got 97,000, Player B got 93,000, Player C got 89,000, and so on, then removing BK would mean that Player A got 100,000, Player B got 97,000, Player C got 93,000, and so on. Would it be more "accurate" to rescale the scores? Perhaps so, but the approach of just moving everyone up one line would probably be sufficient. That, however, is a chore for @NaZa to undertake should he want to do so. It would be an interesting experience, but I'll leave it to NaZa to decide if he wants to take the time to do it.

I've toyed around with the idea of removing Krypto from the leaderboards for sure by rescaling them, as a matter of fact I did a mock-up of boards without his presence recently but deleted it since. It's something I've been thinking about but didn't quite put in motion as I'm unsure as to would it really be fair, considering there might be months where he hasn't cheated. It's all up to debate, really - I can say, though, that the spreadsheet and the winner's list would be more varied.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, NaZa said:

I've toyed around with the idea of removing Krypto from the leaderboards for sure by rescaling them, as a matter of fact I did a mock-up of boards without his presence recently but deleted it since. It's something I've been thinking about but didn't quite put in motion as I'm unsure as to would it really be fair, considering there might be months where he hasn't cheated. It's all up to debate, really - I can say, though, that the spreadsheet and the winner's list would be more varied.

 

It's probably a far too tedious process, without much payback.

 

A much simpler approach would be to simply derank him and move everyone up on the leaderboards. And because of his cheating, all his runs get nullified. That sounds like the easiest approach imo.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Linguica said:

He tried to steal $100 from Looper and lied about it when confronted.

 

Yeah, how I worded what I previously said about Memfis was kind of weird, and it didn't help that I posted that when I was about to get some sleep after a long day.

 

So, my point does still stand in that what Memfis did was cheating and it shouldn't be condoned, even if it was out of desperation. For that matter, if Memfis really was that desperate for extra cash to take care of medical expenses, why didn't he try a GoFundMe instead of trying to cheat his way through a challenge that involved money? I mean, $100 isn't that much when it comes to medical expenses which can easily range in the thousands of dollars if not hundreds of thousands.

 

As for how to handle BK, I do agree that at least adding an asterisk to his runs will indicate that he's done foul play, namely because we still don't know if any of his previous runs involved cheating or even if any of his previous runs were legitimate.

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding Krypto and asterisks: I will be uploading SlaughterMAX very soon (I promise!), and it has several Krypto demos that are UV Max "records" (until they are beaten) that are credited by CWIL, text file, and by the demos themselves which will be archived with the wad. Because of this, I feel like I should weigh in and explain what I'm gonna do.

 

I'm not gonna make any changes or add asterisks or notes or anything like that, and will take the demos at face value.

 

I do believe that Krypto cheated in the Ironmans, because I believe in the mass of expert knowledge and consideration (not just Zero-Master's) that went into the accusation, and because of the ridiculous non-defense offered in return. But I don't feel like the same mass of evidence and expertise has been offered towards Krypto's demos. They are suspicious, for sure. Krypto has boasted that he doesn't spend much time recording his demos and cheekily wonders how much time others spend in comparison [citation would be nice but I don't got time to find that atm]. Could it be because he re-records when he fails?! Maybe. UV Max demos are very different from Ironman runs. In Ironman, you only have one chance. The biggest chunk of evidence against the legitimacy of his Ironman runs is that the collective luck of his 1-chance runs approached absurdity, but, in a UV Max demo, this dimension of evidence doesn't exist unless it's offered up. Even if you boast about how few attempts it took you to achieve your demo, the fact of the matter is that you can try and retry the run as many times as it takes to reach your goal, in which case it's expected that your demo will feature good luck.

 

Also, his UV Max demos just aren't that remarkable. Even if they are records, they're not on highly competitive maps and the times aren't optimal. There's even an example from SlaughterMAX where Bdubzzz beats Krypto in a competitive back n forth, which is at least one example of a demo where Krypto didn't cheat to save his pride even though it presumably would have been easy to do so.

 

I'll leave the asterisks to someone else. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

I miss Memfis. He was generally a nice person, just ruffled feathers with his odd opinions sometimes.

 

Linguica, what if you allowed him back but gave him a house arrest ankle monitor or something

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So, my point does still stand in that what Memfis did was cheating and it shouldn't be condoned, even if it was out of desperation. For that matter, if Memfis really was that desperate for extra cash to take care of medical expenses, why didn't he try a GoFundMe instead of trying to cheat his way through a challenge that involved money? I mean, $100 isn't that much when it comes to medical expenses which can easily range in the thousands of dollars if not hundreds of thousands.

It's also possible that he lied about being sick.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×